Upgrade options from 970 @ 1440p

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by wantobe, Jun 27, 2016.

1. wantobe

wantobe Member Guru

GPU:
    Hello everyone,

I need an advise and opinion of those who know :) Very recently I've upgraded monitor to a 1440p and I am at the point of wanting to upgrade 970 as well.
    It would be a pretty easy choice to go with 1070 but the new monitor has a Freesync built in which would be nice to utilise. My question is it worth waiting for 490 (maybe in Autumn?oh man...) to utilize Freesync or just go with 1070 now?

So what do I do? I raised monitor refresh rate to 72Hz in current setup. Is it worth chasing-waiting Freesync in my circumstances/monitor capabilities? (on the box it says something like 48-75Hz in Freesync mode)

PS. Waiting for 490 until Autumn is the only option? OK
    Does it look much better with Freesync enabled? Is it worth the wait for 490?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  2. sTOrM41

sTOrM41 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970 @ 1500 MHz
    490 could be fine

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Wow, difficult situation. Just out of curiosity, what made you buy a freesync monitor while driving a Geforce GPU?

I would probably wait for the 490 tbh. Or grab two 480s for overkill once they are around, but mind you multi GPU is not an easy topic in terms of knowing what you get yourself into beforehand. Should require some thinking / reading.

You can always try to grab a budget 290(X) crossfire setup, but everything lacks just buying the card you want to utilize Freesync. If I would want to change, I would probably wait.

4. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    If you don't mind losing Freesync, get a 980ti cheap https://www.overclockers.co.uk/zota...ess-graphics-card-zt-90504-10p-gx-097-zt.html

2nd hand you can find them for around £300. Price/performance is unmatched.

AMD have nothing to offer in this performance bracket for this kind of money. Then sell it for £250 when Vega comes out and buy that. The only other gpu worthy of an upgrade from a 970 would be a Fury or FuryX, but they're much worse value for money than the 980ti. Forget about the 480, single card will perform about the same as your 970, multi gpu is average at best.

5. wantobe

wantobe Member Guru

GPU:
    I just wanted to upgrade from a very old 1080p monitor and was aiming for value more than anything and that particular Korean monitor provided me with 1440p (non IPS unfortunately), a bit higher refresh rate and Freesync for and an extra £20 over a very standard 1440 AOC monitor, £210 vs £230.

I also had a very bad experience (worst ROI ever) with two mid-range cards in the past, won't happen again.

6. wantobe

wantobe Member Guru

GPU:
    Witcher is the game that keeps me unsettled. I lowered the AA to a comfortable level, lowered shadows and switched Hairworks off and only with lowest setting of terrain-load-distance) I get 60+, I guess not too bad thus the reason why I am looking for options to use the Freesync.
    970 runs @ 1466Mhz

@fantaskarsef, eclap:
    Thanks for suggesting to look up a second hand 980ti, actually a great idea and I will stalk ebay for a bargain from now on, also new 980ti prices are gret as well. Regarding 2x280x I don't think my PSU will be enough.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  7. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Don't go multigpu.

8. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    just wait for AMD's new single GPU since you have a freesync monitor

going with 480RX seems like a good idea but 50% of games supports multi-gpu anyway