Asus 1080 strix

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by nateluthje, Jun 27, 2016.

1. nateluthje

nateluthje Guest

GPU:
    Asus strix 1080 SLI
    Ordered 2 x asus 1080 strix @$1259 AU. Then seen review of EVGA 1080 OC to 2.1 ghz. Hopefully the strix card will do the same...have I "jumped the gun?". Am still waiting for the card(s) to arrive, supplier said 10-14 days or there abouts. Will the STRIX cards overclock to 2.1ghz or not? Am eager to get these cards...so I can game @4K! Coming from HD7970ghz ed. (x-fire)..I should see a difference....

2. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    Not all OC the same, no matter the brand, you need to be really lucky to get both to oc to 2.1ghz.

Mine OCs to 2.101-2114mhz at least but it needs to be cool in the room, only in the morning i managed to get a stable(as in not to downclock to 2088). Probably will get an AIO later if i find one that i know it's 100% compatible.

Considering you will go SLI unless liquidcooled i doubt you'll be able to maintain 2.1 ghz on both, and that is if you're lucky to get 2 that overclock at a stable 2.1ghz.

But then again, you'll be sli, even if you leave them at the mercy of boost 3.0 you'll get awesome performance probably will be at a constant 2025mhz + . So i wouldn't worry at all.

3. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    It's no guarantee that the cards will up to a certain point. It's said that you can get luckier with AIO since the chip seems sensitive to temperatures (even if they're really low in comparison to 980Ti).

Mine will gladly run at 2101MHz but with artifacts which of course isn't fun. I had to decrease my clocks to 2012MHz to get rid of the artifacts (at least 98% of them).

I've also seen a lot of people have their cards run at 2120+ on air which is really good but I assume it's also rare.

The Strix (OC-version) seems to have the highest factory OC of them all but that doesn't necessarily mean you can add another +100MHz on top of that.

Since you're running SLI I'd just use stock clocks and make sure the temps are down.