FX-8320 overheating with Kraken X31.

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by IceVip, Jun 26, 2016.

1. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    Its funny because we wont even discuss overclocking. Thing started to overheat
    at full stock. Even if i reset the bios and launch dota, temps are 55C in the main menu and up to 75C in game. Yes 75C at stock. The water temp is always 2-3C below the cpu's temp and the water pump is running at its maximum 3600 RPM. I just changed the stock paste that comes with the pump with a MX-2 and i saw zero difference. Now i know summer is coming and stuff but this is ridiculous, i bought this cooler to get at least 4.8Ghz and now i can't even keep it at stock?

P.S The kraken is like 4 months old.

2. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    I'd pull apart and check. Pump might be going but the part [fins] that actually pump the water could be broke, missing a fin or you have blockage somewhere.

3. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    Can i even teardown the x31? Shouldn't that void warranty? Plus if i touch
    the radiator once the cpu gets to 75C its hot as hell. I'm no engineer but if
    the pump was not working shouldn't it be a lil bit colder like.. 50C due to its connection with the tubes and the actual hot spot

4. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    OK, you didn't say Radiator was hot ... that's kinda weird. You said you checked voltages with monitor program? See if it matches your bios settings. Only thing I can think of at moment, a pic of setup wouldn't hurt. Sry tryin' to help ya out.

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Guess the rad could still get hot if the pump was dead/dying or there was a blockage, from just the heat transfer of the water, it's only a short loop

6. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    Well here's a picture of my case i tried to explain the fans layout as well as i can.

[​IMG]

Now I'm pretty sure there is no blockage in the pump because when i start the pc
    i hear the normal bubbles as i did when i first got it brand new(4 months ago) and
    if i try to squeeze one of the tubes i can feel the actual flow inside. Here's another
    picture of a problem that i encountered after i switched from a CM V6 GT to the
    Kraken X31.

[​IMG]

It seems like when i was with the air cooling unit (V6 GT) the way it worked was it
    blew air to the back of the case making some kind of flow for the VRM's of the mobo
    but now it seems like it has no air there and i tried to flip the second fan on the top
    of the case to blow downwards towards the vrm but it did nothing. My cpu is now
    throttling at 79C, works at 75 during gaming.

P.S If the sensor of the kraken is on the actual radiator then maybe the
    VRM is heating it up? making the water 20C hotter than the actual cpu?
    because the VRM is always hot as ****, i mean literally always. Even at
    idle.

7. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I would touch the block after usage because if its very warm to hot to the touch then the pump is not as efficiently as it should. At my work I dealt with a fx 8150 based computer with an h90 and the computer was turning off after 30 secs and that number decreased over time. It turned out the pump died and the block was very warm afterwards.

8. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Well my 8350 @ 4.7 & 1.48v and gets to 60-65 Celsius with prime kickin', and that's with my house being at 90 Farenheit, my air cond. broke. Gaming I don't go over 60, And I have RX240 radiator and raystorm block regular good open loop system, so maybe just not enough cooling for 4.7? What where your temps with other cooler? Was it cooler before and its just now getting that hot? But you still seem a little hot, whats your room temp? But I'm still guessing your pump is crappin' out. I had 1 like yours too at first, but didn't cut it, just put it on my wifes [my old] AMD Phenom II quad. with mild clock @ 3.6. Are you sure your looking at core temp and not socket temp? Had to ask. Just going thru list with ya bud to figure out.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  9. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    I just nailed down one thing. I took the radiator off the back and put it on top
    of the case away from the VRM, boy did that make a difference, now I'm back
    to 4.6 at 60-63C with Prime95 or Cinebench. However my cpu does throttle
    again even at those low temps sometimes as low as 55C it still throttles because
    the damn VRM temp is going insane. I seriously have no idea what to do about
    it, its just so weird idk what it wants. It throttles the cpu even at stock and
    its a 8+2 power phase, usually i read posts that mobos with 4+1 are just bad
    but this is like next level bad, 8+2 and still crappy.

10. cyclone3d

cyclone3d Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS R9 390
    1. You need a fan blowing air on the VRM area to keep it cool enough.

2. How old is that power supply? Not sure I would trust even a really good 600w with an overclocked 8320 and a 290x.

3. What are your BIOS settings?

11. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Those temps 75c at load are kinda high yes, I had a similar situation like urs back in the day.....I had a Asus m5a7 motherboard with Fx 6300 the vrms were hot as hell so like somebody mentioned above I installed a 60mm or 80 mm fan right over the vrm area and it did help alot but I am still worried about that 75c your getting under load, Amd cpu's cannot go as high as Intels- my 4790k has a T-j max of 100c for example but the most I hit is 60c under load in any given program or game for that matter.

Did you try to undervolt it by chance? I would try that 1st, what v-core are you running? Good luck dude I hope your able to sort it out.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  12. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    Well i just nailed it. I ripped the fan off of amd's box cpu cooler and attached it to the vrm, blowing right on its passive cooling. That 80mm fan is fkn nuts, it went full 5100RPM
    on me. Like seriously my vaccum cleaner isn't that loud. Anyways the temps are superb
    right now, dota 2 40-45C at 4.6Ghz So I'm back in the game with no throttle. Can't monitor
    VRM temps cuz no sensor but they are probably fixed because i haven't seen a single
    throttle since.

13. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Good man Glad you nailed it/ Enjoy.

14. skugpezz

skugpezz Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 Fury X Stock
    That radiator is too thin. I had a H60 on my 8320 and the radiator was always hot to the touch while gaming. Got a H80 and all is well now

15. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    *wrong thread LEL* sorry fo bump

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016