New Anti virus program

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by tsunami231, Jun 24, 2016.

1. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    So I toying with the idea of switch to a new AV product, Due to find out Avast is reason why I have 45+ sec boot time vs the 10 when it not installed or I disable it.

I was gonna Give Bit Defender a go again, but I just read the free verison isnt 100% compatible with win 10 and can cause BSOD as result.

Thought about Avira free, but i know even less about that then I do Bit defender.

So I curious to what others use.

2. Hootmon

Hootmon Guest

GPU:
    XFX THICC III Ultra
    I use BitDefender on Win 10, but its the paid version. Im quite happy with it.

3. toronto699

toronto699 Guest

GPU:
    asus GTX660
  4. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    i use avast on my main pc.
    but i have also avg and avira in use (in case of avira "had" because that machine is not mine anymore)

apart from MSE others i used/had installed in the past are: f-prot, panda, bitdefender.

in my workplace i have to administrate a SEP environment in a het. network with around 1500 NT clients, 300 unix/linux clients and ~40 mac clients.

as paid options are in my opinion not worth their price for home use (as they dont offer any advantage in terms of identifying and removing virii) i can only say.

avira, avg, avast belong into one category of very solid rates and well configurable solutions
    whereas bitdefender and panda belong into the other category of very solid rates but almost non-configurable "cloud"-solutions.

if you prefer configuring the behaviour of your virusscanner (actions after findings, file extension exceptions, etc, etc.) go for the first three and choose the one you like most from usability / resource consumption.

if you prefer install-and-forget go for panda or bitdefender and choose the one you like most from resource consumption.

the resource consumption of all of these is rather low but you never know how it behaves on individual systems.

if you have the money or the chance to use a corporate version of symantec endpoint protection. go for it. it's an awesome product. you won't get it easily though.
    just if you have the possibility i can say go for it.

5. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I use paid Bit Defender, works well and I'm using insider previews (14372 currently). At least it also means it will support RS1 when it's released next month. It's also fast and has great detection rates. It's also easy to use once you work out how, I guess it could be a little more intuitive, however it's a balance between advanced users and most people who would never open it on screen and instead just let it do its thing.

6. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    I'd only recommend Kaspersky or Bitdefender (both paid).

7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I wont touch AVG again, know about Avira never really tried it, just like i never tried Kaspersky.

I have panda on my old vista laptop, cause it was less of hog then avast on that machine

8. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    bitdefender exists as a free version as well.
    no downside in terms of virii detection rate.
    just no extras like password storage tools, sandbox browser, extended reports, remote management (which mostly are gimmicks and almost all of them are through other more specialized freeware anyway, if there is really need)

comparison between paid (PLUS) and free is when you scroll down a bit
    http://www.bitdefender.com/media/html/freeav-upgrade/?et_cid=EMM_NA_FreeAV_Upsell

again: dont pay money for an antivirus solution unless you REALLY KNOW that you depend on a certain functionality of the paid version.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    thing about bit defender is it not full compatible with win10 atlest not free verison which cause bsod

10. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Yeah, free version and paid version are not the same. I believe the free version is based on an older version. The paid version does fully support Windows 10 and RS1 (although they probably won't claim the latter until RS1 is available).

Apparently Kaspersky has had issues with the latest insider builds, not sure if it has been fixed yet. It's something they only have say, 5 weeks to fix if it is still present.

11. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Really? Were you able to diagnose the reason in more detail?

I just installed Avast myself (W10 x64, 10586.420) and saw no difference in boot time.
    Though granted there seems to be an ever so slight delay when starting programs.

I have configured the Active Protection to not scan files when created (was on by default) and a few other minor tweaks.
    Also turned the Sensitivity for Active Protection to Low (default Normal).

In turn upped the Sens. for Smart Scan (manual scan) to Normal and enabled Code Emulation.

12. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    About one year ago I switched from Avast to Norton. It's just sooo much faster Avast or Windows Defender. It's really light too and usually uses just <10 MB of RAM. MBAM free gives second opinion.

Avast was nice and light but nowadays its just getting ridiculously and heavy.

13. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    I'm using Panda Free and really liking it on Win 10, and 7. There is no noticeable impact on performance and, it has an automatic gaming mode that turns off all notifications when in a full screen application. Avast does not do that. There is a silent mode in Avast but it has to be turned on and off manually. Avast also has gotten bloated in the last several years. You can choose not to install the extra features but they are still resident on your system and just deactivated.

AVG gets very good ratings there days after being not so hot for a few years.

If you are willing to pay for protection, Norton, Kaspersky, Bitdefender, and surprisingly, McAfee are the highest rated. McAfee actually comes in first in some reviews and, get this. If you buy McAfee, the subscription is good for all computers you own without limit. You can install it on all of them, even your phone, for no extra cost. You can get the AV Plus for like $15 and it's good for all your devices. The AV Plus also includes a firewall.

As I have said before, if you choose Panda, let it install the Security Toolbar and then, after it's up and running, uninstall just the toolbar and choose to leave the url filtering in place. One thing that may be an issue for some is that Panda is almost entirely cloud based. It does keep a rudimentary set of definitions on the system but they only sync with the cloud base once a day. You will have protection when disconnected from the web but it won't be as up to date. It may cause increased battery usage on laptops and tablets when they are not plugged in. On a desktop, it's not an issue of course. Contrary to what was said earlier in the thread, Panda does have quite a lot of user configurable options.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  14. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    All I can say is this: Nod32 9 security FTW :nerd:
    [​IMG]

I tried a couple in the past, F-security, TrendMicro, Bitdefender, Avira, Kaspersky, but I always returned to nod.

Been using it since V4 and I ain't looking back, v8 and now v9 is the best so far.

15. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Been using NOD32 for years too, 30 day trial and plenty more trial keys kicking about if you want to keep 'testing' it, or sign up with another email for another key

16. SacredKnight27

SacredKnight27 Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    In regards to free solutions, I always found myself going back to either Avast or Avira. Very little mess, and no performance losses in both cases. I can't use AVG. I have a pretty decent system and AVG damn near bricks it. I have no idea why but it slows everything to a crawl.

What I'm using now though, since my ISP provides it, is Norton Security Suite. Since they completely rebuilt the software a few years back, its been pretty damn good. Only time I don't use it is when early Insider builds don't play nice with it.

17. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Yeah... Now Avast should seriously consider doing the same. It's a mess now.

18. I done a clean OS install over a month ago with win10 x64 Pro. ..Said I never would but I disabled all telemetry, services, privacy invading **** etc.

Anyway, to the point.. I've been using bitdefender free with absolutely no problems, bsods etc. In fact, it works great. ..Just wish it was possible to exclude folders but I guess that's a perk for the paid version. If it does find any false positives, you can exclude it in the log but not until it's detected.

19. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    BD Free will SEEM to be working great in Win 10 but in reality, it will give false positives as well as false negatives (missed detection of malware). It's detection and protection can't be relied on. Bitdefender themselves have stated this on more than one occasion. Even if it doesn't give BSOD's it is not reliable in Windows 10. It's fantastic in any other Windows version, but not in 10. I know, I used it for quite a while and follow their forums. For your own good, switch to something else. Even Windows Defender is probably better for Win 10.

20. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Im thinking of trying Avira who know if and when free bit defender will be compatible with win 10.

other company made there product compatible in much less time hell there paid version is compatible , which make me think they dont really care to make the free version compatible with win 10 atm