Is this build will be a bottlenect for RX 480?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by CookieQ, Jun 20, 2016.

1. CookieQ

CookieQ Guest

GPU:
    GTX580
  2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    You should go with i5 6500 + some B150 or even Z170 MB, so you can upgrade to 6600/6700k later on.

If gaming is your thing, go with Intel. There will be no bottleneck.

3. Ryrynz

Ryrynz Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 960
    This. Don't buy anything AMD for gaming at least not until Zen is worth weighing up. i5 and i7 all the way.

4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    List implies that He already has Board + CPU.
    And even if he could get i5-6500 + Z170 MB... that would put him way above budget.

@CookieQ: Yes, those things will work and will get you your 60+ fps. But CPU will be limiting factor in many games where better CPU could mean difference between 80 and 120 fps.
    But you should be able to have stable 60fps nearly in every game. And in time you decide that you want more fps, at least you will not feel like you overpaid for those parts you have.

I remember getting ATi X800 Pro and being bottlenecked by CPU a bit. At least I could increase graphical detail with minimal impact on performance.

5. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    The RAM choice is Poor for FX
    Minimum 2133 CL9/10 Best for that Monster is 2400 CL10 (2x8GB)

But wait until ZEN -> Its The Best way :)

6. Spartan

Spartan Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 PCS+
    That cpu will bottleneck a 480, even for 60 fps gaming. If you are going to buy that gpu regardless, then make sure you run everything what you can in dx12/mantle/vulkan now and in the future.

7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    i5 6400 + B150, it should be at his budget. i5's like 6400 even at 2.7ghz will be vastly superior gaming CPU.

8. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Even i5-6400 + cheapest B150 would cost him $250 + $70 (Tax included).
    +$250 GPU and you are at $570.

He can cheap out on CPU Cooler and use one which came with CPU.
    It is hard to cheap out on memory since they are cheap already. So $50 minimum and that cuts away performance of mentioned CPU. So, half decent memory for that i5 would cost $70.

We're at $640 without HDD/SSD, PSU, CASE. That's another $180 if those in mentioned build are used (And they are cheap already).
    Final sum $820. Not that crazy difference. Performance would be really up to 50% better in CPU limited situations.

But he already has those things. If it was possible, I would return them.
    - - - -
    And, let's be honest about claims that FX-8320E will be such bottleneck that 60fps would not be achievable.
    Anyone putting that stuff up needs to get back in touch with reality. Maybe checking few CPU to CPU benchmarks.

9. Spartan

Spartan Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 PCS+
    I'm talking about first hand experience. Reviewers are usually testing games with nvidia gpus for cpu tests, that's why you don't see that much of a bottleneck.

10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Yes, I did in past run set of games and benchmarks for one of our members here.
    I clocked my CPU at 1.6GHz (min possible), 2GHz, 2.5GHz, 3GHz, ... 4.5GHz.

I say, it was comparison in fine steps. And there were games where CPU is bottleneck even at 4.5GHz, but those run over 120fps.
    60fps is perfectly fine even at 3.0GHz on poor old Sandy i5.
    2.5GHz is point where it became noticeable. Sometimes stutter, sometimes low fps.
    And only at 1.6 it became bad in what most gamers call bad. And even then there were still quite a few games like AvP 2010 (DX11) which were unfazed and kept average fps around 190.

11. Spartan

Spartan Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 PCS+
    I just did a few very quick tests by downclocking this cpu to 2.5, and at this clock it performs similarly in games as an fx83xx.

12. MaskedMuchaco

MaskedMuchaco Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 290 Gaming (H2O)
    You will be CPU limited sometimes but in most games you will be fine and a little bit of overclocking will improve things a bit,if you're up for it.

I upgraded from an FX8350 only because I got a good deal on the 9590 and I had no problem getting a decent performance out of it even at stock.

I lost the silicone lottery with the FX8350 and couldn't get more than 4.4ghz even with custom water cooling but it was still a capable CPU and ran everything I threw at it so I imagine an 8320 won't be too bad either.

AMD FX CPUs may be a little long in the tooth but they still get the job done.

I really should invest in my own personal nuclear power station to run my system especially since im considering adding another R9 290, it did keep my room warm in the winter so it has it's benefits.

13. flow

flow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080 oc
    Well, CookieQ,
    I see in your profile you need an entire new gaming rig, and that could proof to be a little difficult to optimize components.
    Best thing to do with games is upgrading to a faster cpu and play at lower graphical settings, this will still play 1080p flawless. Then save up more for a better videocard etc etc.
    Best to go with intel for that, and give the 480 some more time perhaps?

14. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    +1 , drop that AMD cpu/motherboard and grab an Intel cpu/motherboard you have on your list , the rest looks good to me , in my opinion is better to be safe than sorry , good luck.

15. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    yup at the moment intel is the way to go CPU-wise...
    it brought me about 60-70% increase in performance but i switched from phenom 955 that days....

16. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    I would buy used or new intel cpu/mb before going out and buying an AMD FX cpu and board. If Zen were out that be different. I love AMD gpu stuff but at the moment their cpu is to weak for me. My 6 year old ANCIENT x58 setup could run circles around it...your other picks look good though

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  17. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I take it your CPU is i5-2500, is it i5-2500 or i5-2500K? I also see you have already purchased the CPU and motherboard.

My recommendation would be to keep your i5-2500 for now, but tweak it as much as possible. You should sell your CPU and motherboard and get as much of that cost back as possible, purchase the 16 GB of RAM and SSD, and then sell your 8 GB of RAM. Then get the R9-480 and sell your GTX 580.

The i5-2500/2500K will hold back your R9-480 a little, but not too badly with the faster RAM, some tweaking, and the SSD. The money you then have left you should save and add to, and then upgrade to Zen when it comes out. You can then start the cycle again, sell the RAM (as you'd need DDR4), motherboard, CPU, and put that money back into the kit for the upgrade next year to Vega GPU. You can then sell the R9-480, put some of that towards a Zen+ CPU when it comes out (direct fit replacement for Zen), sell that, put that money back into the upgrade fund... and so on.

Just trying to highlight the best value for money if you are able to manage it. There are other considerations such as what monitor are you currently using etc.

18. Margolis

Margolis Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti 6GB
    Your 2500 is just as fast, if not faster than the newer fx 8320 you want. It just has fewer cores. Overclock it and it will be even better. So it would be a waste of money to change to the 8320 unless you do something else that absolutely needs the 8 cores. For gaming, you will generally be better off with the 2500.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  19. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Dont rush with CPU upgrade, 2500 is solid and will serve you fine until 80 fps range.
    I have my 2500K on stock and it can drive all games at 96 fps. (Battlefield5 with 64 ppl might be exclusion)

Upgrade CPU if you want to achive above 144 for 144hz panel.

For now just install GPU, I am sure it will satisfy you without CPU upgrade.

20. WeSbO

WeSbO Guest

GPU:
    Fury X stock
    I've just gone from a fx8320@4.6ghz to a 4790k@4.7 (i'm watercooled), the fx8320 was the system bottle neck (it was not bottlenecking the fury x), well not at 4.6ghz anyways (haven't tried it at stock). I've got an average of about 5-10 fps more with the 4790k, in the games I play (tw3, assetto corsa, project cars, GTAV mostly, not an FPS guy) it cost me about 500€ to upgrade. Was it worth it ? My gaming experience is better, the system is a bit snapier, encoding is a lot faster, but the fx8320 was not bad and was totally a gaming machine, and could game with ease. No it was not worth 500€, I am happy with my purchase though, and I probably won't go zen because of the simple reason is that I think we are near a performance wall on CPUs and they won't get really that much better than intel's offerings at the moment.

Just giving my personnal feedback, and not my opinion on what you should do. But if you go the fx8320, be prepared to OC, though the 212evo is good, I would think about a beefier cooling system.