Low LOD/Draw Distance in many games.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by jasoncowboy, Jun 19, 2016.

1. jasoncowboy

jasoncowboy Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro R9 390
    Hi gurus, I've just bought a r9 390 Sapphire recently and really happy with it, but the thing is many games i've tried lately (GTA V, Dead Island, LoTRO) seems to have low render distance where as the texture will pop-in/load when i come close to it.
    My system is
    I5 6600 3.3Ghz
    DDR4 Hyperx 16gb 2166mhz
    R9 390 Sapphire Nitro
    Corsair VS650W.
    I suspect it might be the PSU that cause this because many people have said this PSU is really bad, but I need more opinions, hopefully you guys can help me :). Thanks all

2. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    Your psu is decent and is not reason of such behavior. I would give a try to ddu and install latest available driver, currently 16.6.1.

Did you use anything like radeon pro or other tools? Maybe you enabled some specific setting globally limiting draw distance.

3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    There are registry keys under:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000\UMD]
    "LodAdj"="0"
    "TextureLod_DEF"="0"
    "TextureLod"=hex:30,00,00,00

Check their values if they are not higher than those shown.
    Those 0 can be adjusted to -5
    That Hex too, but it would be "2D 35 00 00 00" if viewed in registry editor.

Negative values may cause texture shimmering. SSAA is good way to remove that :)

And for changes to take place, all it needs to be done is to kill RadeonSettings.exe (task manager of other tool). And restart it by right click on desktop and: "AMD Radeon Settings".

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  4. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    by GTA5 go in advanced gfx options and enable extended distance and max it out.

by Dying Light got to my documents/dyinglight/out/settings and open video.scr with txt

now change VisRange(3.60, 3.60), e.g. both values to 3.00, I use 3.60 its the "limit" for great fps and extended distance. Now set the file to read only.

Default ingame max is 2.50 if Im not mistaken.

5. jasoncowboy

jasoncowboy Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro R9 390
    Thanks all for the opinions, unfortunately it's still there. I'm not sure if it's a problem of my hard drive not loading fast enough (5400rpm wd blue). Take GTA V for example, near Franklin's house on the right walkway, there's couple of trash cans and plastic cups on the pavement, if I walk away from them for like 20 meters, the things just disappear and load again if I come close enough. Same with shadow, looks really jaggy from afar, then when you come like 1m next to it, turns sharp. :(

6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Idk about SP, played only MP so far and yeah those shadows are like that, can't do much there.. Except max it out, the ugliest shadows are during morning or by sunset, I think.
    Im using AMD shadows as funny as it sounds, nv own pcss is **** and is missing 90% of the time.. Softest is too soft and has more pronounced blilinear filtering line (losing shadows detail)

Those objects, well depends, if you max all detail and distance objects it should be minimal, but then again slow HDD shouldn't do that, usually it causes streaming stutters not loading objects slowly. There is a certain popup distance for sure, guess I dont pay so much attention to it.. But I've seen this in the past by other games.

One more obvious is COD BlackOps2 MP, popups everywhere.. But once you "program yourself" to ignore it its "ok".

PS, Does it happen with all AMD drivers? I know form nv some have it more some less, those that are the fastest sometimes have it the most.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  7. jasoncowboy

jasoncowboy Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro R9 390
    I've tried both 16.5.3 and 16.6.1 and it's still the same :). As for shadow, I'm using AMD CHS too. The most obvious texture pop up in game is Dead Island but I've heard that game is poorly coded on that part so i'd say nvm. Thanks all for solutions, i'll try tinkering around more drivers and other stuff. will be back with results

8. jasoncowboy

jasoncowboy Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro R9 390
    Tried various games, it's still quite bad. I'm not sure if it ever happens to anyone but in Witcher 3 the effect rendering distance is quite close (around 20-25 meters) where the flame just disappear from the guard's torch if you're like 20 meters away.

9. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    There is a slight popup in GTAV. But very acceptable. Nothing like Witcher 2 for example.

Try to make a vid so we can compare

10. jasoncowboy

jasoncowboy Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro R9 390
    Tried my best to get 2 screens, here they are :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Jason, if you want upload the save file of that exact same place in Witcher 3, post it here and i'll show you how it looks on my screen.

Make a day not a night. It can be clearer if there is any difference.

12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    its just LOD game "limitation" system..

I think he pays too much attention to those distant changes and expects more. Been there done that.

13. jasoncowboy

jasoncowboy Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro R9 390
    https://www.sendspace.com/file/1yapbd
    Here it is :). Try to move a lil bit further back see if you notice any texture disappearing from the screen. Thank you!

14. jasoncowboy

jasoncowboy Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro R9 390
    Well that's kinda true, since I just went from 720p screen to 1080p screen, can't help but notice these things as they are more obvious than before, well if it's the limitation of the game then guess i'll have to live with it :)

15. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Take a look. I loaded up, took a screen, didnt move an inch. Keep in mind my game is heavily modded. (it looks so different)

[​IMG]

16. jasoncowboy

jasoncowboy Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro R9 390
    hmm I guess it' just my eyes noticing things more than usual. Thanks everyone for the input though :)

17. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    Wow Undying, you sure love your sharpness! I suppose its personal preference as I think it looks bad in TW3, but love it cranked higher in DOOM.

@OP
    Have you tried any mods for TW3? I have a LOD mod that makes pop in hardly noticeable at all.
    You might just be looking for pop in at this point. ;)

18. jasoncowboy

jasoncowboy Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro R9 390
    I'll definitely try out the LOD mod. Thanks!

19. jasoncowboy

jasoncowboy Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro R9 390
    Also on a totally different subject. My cards acting weird past couple of days (despite being new for only 3 weeks). Sometimes when I'm playing screen suddenly goes "No signal" but can be easily recovered with Alt+Tab. I tried to run the game and recreate the problem with my HWinfo64 sensors on and found that everytime it happens, the gpu memory error number goes up, meaning encountering gpu mem error, anyone knows anyway to go about this?

20. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Yeah, im still mad becouse isnt working in B&W. Waiting for fix before i start playing it.