"Stub has received bad data" error and other issues with v368.xx drivers

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Darren Hodgson, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    As some of you are aware from my numerous (sorry!) posts in the main driver threads, myself and others have been experiencing some very annoying Windows issues since installing driver v368.22, the first of a new branch which was released around the launch of the new GTX 1080 Pascal card. These issues have persisted through all the 368.xx drivers so far, including the v368.51 Hotfix released today (or yesterday).

The issues are all non-gaming which is what makes them so frustrating. Ironically, the driver is great for games, it's just other things that aren't! It is also the reason why some of us did not even think that the driver might be causing the issue in the first place. Some people have even done a clean install of Windows only to find the issues return as soon as they install a v368.xx driver (which also suggests that it may not be a software conflict...).

The issues I've experienced are as follows:

1. Intermittent "Stub has received bad data" errors that pop up ONLY while opening non-games applications and programs such as the Event log, PerfectDisk, PureSync or DXDiag.exe, etc, etc. This even came out while running the setup.exe file for the v365.19 driver when I using v368.39!!! When it happens, the affected program can always be ran a second time. This issue occurs fairly infrequently and does not seem to affect the running of Windows apart from having to open the program twice to use it. I have never seen this error before though and it does not happen with v365.19 installed.

To reiterate this issue does not seem to happen with games, only other applications and programs.

2. When checking for updates manually from the Windows Store it never completes and gets stuck in a neverending loop until I shutdown or restart my PC. This also prevents Windows Store apps and games from updating automatically. When I reinstalled the v365.19 driver and checked for updates, the Windows Store found a dozen updates and all of them downloaded successfully (some of these were over a week old, which is as long as I was using the v368.xx driver hinting that it was preventing Windows from updating these normally).

3. Task Scheduler will throw up a "cannot connect to remote server" error after an unspecified amount of time despite being set to Automatic. This error can be fixed by restarting the service but it's irritating to have to do this. Something in this driver causes the service to halt for some reason (this is almost certainly connected to the issue in 4. below). It can also cause problems when shutting down or restarting as I will see the screen informing me that it shutting down or restarting then it will return to the desktop with a Task Scheduler error.

4. The Event log shows a lot of services terminating unexpectedly and restarting. These services include Task Scheduler, Computer Browser, Xbox Live services, etc. These appear in blocks of 12-15 and are all different services, none of which seem connected to the graphics driver. These blocks of errors appear periodically and do NOT occur when using the v365.19 or earlier drivers.

All of these issues can be resolved by installing the v365.19 driver. In fact, you don't even need to do a clean install; I just installed them over the top of the v368.xx driver, rebooted and all the issues were fixed.

Forum user, gwit, identified what appears to be the cause of the issues, a DLL file, named nvwgf2umx. By deleting this file (or overwriting it with the one from the v365.19) the issues can be fixed, suggesting that it is the cause of the issues. However, doing so appears to revert DirectX from 12 to 11.3 according to DXDiag so, alas, it is not a fix just a workaround. The few games I tested however (none of which used DX12) all ran fine but I suspect that DX12 only games will not run properly, if at all, if the nvwgf2umx.dll file is missing or is a mismatched version from an older driver.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone else who is having this problem, particularly as ManuelG from NVIDIA and the GeForce.com forum has said that they've been unable to replicate the issue so far (but keep trying to reproduce it). I am hoping that he reads this and that gwit's finding regarding the nvwgf2umx.dll file might throw some light on the issue. Obviously, the more information people can add to this the thread the more chance we have of getting the issues fixed, especially if anyone has found a way of fixing or working around these issues that does not involve downgrading the driver or losing full DX12 compatibility.

Please ONLY post in this thread if you are experiencing one or more of the above issues. It might be a good idea for people to share hardware and software configurations too (which I will do in another post so this one isn't too long) to see if there are any commonalities that we all share that might help NVIDIA further.

Thank you.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  2. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Here is a link to my original thread before I realised the issue was caused by the driver:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=407787

And here is my posts over on GeForce.com:

v368.39: https://forums.geforce.com/default/...thread-released-6-7-16-/post/4897355/#4897355

v368.22: https://forums.geforce.com/default/...hread-released-5-23-16-/post/4890471/#4890471

These are the programs that start up with Windows:

Acronis True Image 2016
    PerfectDisk 14 Pro
    Amazon Music
    Amazon MP3 Downloader
    Apple Photo Streams
    Battle.net
    Content Manager for PlayStation
    Corsair Utility Engine
    D3DOverrider (set to Off globally, only enabled per-game)
    Dell Display Manager
    DivX Media Server
    Dropbox
    Dxtory Update Checker 2.0
    EADM (a.k.a. Origin)
    Stardock Fences
    Galaxy Client (GOG.com)
    Google Update
    Google Drive Sync
    iCloud Drive
    iCloud Service
    OneDrive
    Sound Blaster Z Series Control Panel
    Stardock Central (checks for Stardock app updates)
    Steam (non-beta version)
    Sun Java Update Scheduler (Edit: this actually DISABLED)
    TrueImage Monitor (part of Acronis True Image)
    UpdReg.exe (part of Creative Sound Blaster package? Edit: this is also DISABLED)
    Uplay
    WinZip 20.5 Preloader

Other apps I have installed and running in System Tray include:

WindowManager (remember sizes/positions of windows)
    NVIDIA GeForce Experience
    MSI Afterburner v4.3.0 Beta 4
    RTSS v6.4.1

I also have Stardock Start10 installed plus WindowFX and WindowBlind, the latter too running as services but not in use/disabled.

I only use the built in Windows Defender and have no other anti-virus software installed. I do have SpyBlaster and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware installed but these are the free versions and only run on demand (i.e. there are no background processes running with Windows as far as I know).

3. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    Same problem here, windows 10 specs over there <

I don't run any anti virus on this system and the only start up programs are 2 nivida services.

programs mainly effected are task manager and the black desert online launcher there are others too but these two I can almost guarantee will fail on first run.

4. krayzieNRG

krayzieNRG Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    I'm getting it also

5. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    @ DesGaizu & krayzieNRG - Can you both please elaborate on which issues you are getting? Just the stub error or all of them?

@ DesGaizu - I notice you have Windows 8 listed in your specs but you stated Windows 10 specs. Is your signature/PC specs wrong?

@ krayzieNRG - Are you running Windows 8 and experiencing this issue?

Thanks.

6. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    Sorry I've had a few drinks so my problem solving skills are not at there best!

yes I'm on windows 10 64bit (also updated <info thanks :3 )

just read though your other issues and went to check if I have the same and ;_;

I only have forza installed from ms market but yes pressing updates does nothing just a endless spin.

No problems with Task Scheduler.

Went to The Event log (which gave me the stub error first time OBVIOUSLY!) and yeah **** tone of errors stuff failing all over the place :(

7. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    EDIT:task scheduler just gave me a *remote pc can not be found error*

;_;

8. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Thanks for the info, Des.

The Task Scheduler error, from my own experiences, seems to occur because the service shuts down or stops some time after booting into Windows. At first it works fine but it will halt at some point causing the remote server error. The fix is to start the service manually but it should not be stopping at all since it is set to automatically run by default. As I said above, it seems to be connected to the Event log issue which shows random services terminating unexpectedly.

By the way, are any of you using GeForce Experience? If so, which version? I've seen mention of it causing the stub error but I have also seen posts from people who are not using it that have these issues!

9. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Do you mean the GPU or CPU?

I am overclocked on both; 4.0 GHz on the CPU and +125 MHz (really +225 MHz since it's an EVGA SC card) on the GPU core and +250 MHz on the VRAM. Games work 100% fine though, no issues at, so I doubt my issues are related to overclocking my GTX 980 Ti. As for the CPU, well I switched back to stock clocks at one point and still got the issues so I cannot see it being that either.

10. scaramonga

scaramonga Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 W/C
    LOL!! Well no wonder with all that junk running!!, what do you expect? In fact, I'm surprised you don't have more errors?

The GBloat Experience is the main culprit though, as is the Riva Statistics Server, and I'll put my life on the line with them ;)

The rest?, well, just as bad lol, but I ain't got the time to tell you why, and more so, because you should know why.

Format C:\ would be a better option.

Sun Java Update Scheduler <---- WTF??? lol

Honestly!?, :grin:

11. cookieboyeli

cookieboyeli Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 @2126
    Yea for real! :bang: I just spent 12 hours cleaning out someone's computer that had a near identical list of startup programs and dropped their idle CPU usage from 40% to 0%. You clearly don't care about your system's health so it's no wonder you're experiencing issues.

One or more of those programs is causing a conflict. Get rid of your bloatware with geek uninstaller and I'll bet you the problem disappears.

Remember the eternal rule of keeping a well working computer: Less is more. Seriously, I'm positive one of those programs is the culprit.
    Only the lazy, ignorant, or mentally deficient keep a computer like that.

12. VAlbomb

VAlbomb Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia G1 Gaming GTX 970
    People with the same CPU/GPU combo aren't getting the problem which is why I believe the problem might be related to some chipset in the motherboard and the latest Windows updates.

My system is relative easy to recreate and I've found a way to replicate the error in a semi consistent way.
    i5 4690K CPU Default clocks
    Asus Z87M-Plus Motherboard Default settings all C states enabled, Package C state set to auto.
    2X 8GB Corsair CMZ8GX3M1A1600C1 Default setting
    Corsair CX600M PSU
    Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970
    Cheap Manhattan keyboard
    Logitech G402 Mouse
    H100i CPU cooler, first version not V2, the original.
    Seagate 1TB Hard Drive (OS hard drive) ST1000DM003-1CH162
    Westerm Digital 1 TB WD10EZEX-22BN5A0
    Hitachi 2TB HUA722020ALA331
    HP 2159M monitor

Using a local account.
    All Windows Privacy settings set to off directly from the Settings Panel.
    Applications that can be removed directly from the Settings - System - App Features have removed, applications that couldn't be removed by this method are left untouched (Xbox, Calculator, Camera Etc), nothing has been modified using third party software or registry modifications, Game DVR has been disabled directly from the Xbox application, Xbox login is not associated to Windows account.

Windows 10 Pro Version 1511 OS Build 10586.420

Applications installed

Corsair Link 4 + Corsair Link USB Dongle/Windows Driver Package - Corsair Components
    Logitech Gaming software 8.83
    Intel Rapid Storage Technology
    All Microsoft visual C++ Redistributable, from 2005 to 2015 and their updates x64 and x86.
    Opera and Firefox web browsers
    Nvidia Driver, Main Driver and Physx only.
    GPU-Z installed and with shortcut to desktop

The way I've found to recreate the issue is;
    *Set PC power mode to Power Saver all default settings.
    *Open a web browser like Opera or Firefox
    *Go to youtube and select a long playlist like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4we8iFk-fY&list=PLbQ-gSLYQEc6IWgKJNOMUONgtNXdwVcDC in full screen mode
    *leave the PC running all night long for at least 8 hours
    *Return power mode to Balanced
    *Try to open Task Manager by right clicking on the Taskbar, the Even Viewer by right click on the windows logo or opening a shortcut from the desktop like GPU-Z

It only takes like 2 to 4 hours in that route for the nvwgf2umx.dll module to crash and tons of errors to start happening by looking at the Event Viewer records.
    This will be followed by a stub errors until a machine reset and then they subdue for a while.

13. mr1hm

mr1hm Active Member

GPU:
    2070 Super XC Ultra
    i see nothing wrong with his list of start up programs and i don't see how CPU usage would be of any concern (or relevance to the OP) considering the fact he's using a i7 4770k and has stated that reverting to the v365.19 driver fixes all of his issues

14. Fumz

Fumz Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080Ti sc black icx
    Not gonna dump on you too for having so much, but have you tried running without these loaded? Yes, updreg.exe is creative's product registration tool. You can safely delete it from c\windows. Going through your list I can't see why you'd "need" any of this?

15. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Yes, I have tried running without many of those programs running in the background but since I have 16 GB of memory and most of them use very little if any resources (some just check for updates for examples like the Java one) then they've never been an issue. All those programs are running because *I* want them to be not because some third-party software installed them secretly (which is what happens with inexperienced users). In my experience, these have no real impact on the running of my PC anyway and at one time I would have stripped them to a minimum due to RAM usage.

Besides you are missing the point that these EXACT same programs all work perfectly fine with the v365.19 and earlier drivers so unless the new v368.xx drivers are adding lots of new background services then I really don't see how they can affect a graphics driver to cause the non-gaming issues I am encountering. If anything they should be causing issues with Windows regardless of which driver I am using if they really were the issue. Which they aren't because I get the same errors with or without them running.

Also, as mentioned people with clean installs of Windows are getting these issues but only after reinstalling the 368 driver. Do you think they have tons of "bloatware" at that point too? ;)

16. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    P.S. Do the others who have the same issues have me have lots of background processes running? I'm betting that some will and some won't.

P.P.S. As mentioned in my opening post, all the issues can be fixed just by deleting or copying over from an earlier pre-v368 driver one 64-bit file, nvwgf2umx.dll, i.e. I can use Windows and the v368.xx driver without any of these issues so long as the v368.xx file is not present. The issues are triggered by that file absolutely as gwit discovered. However, this is not a proper fix since it breaks DirectX 12 compatibility due to mismatched files and DXDiag sees it as 11.3.

17. Fumz

Fumz Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080Ti sc black icx
    I understand that this error happens on clean installs, but, it's hard to make the argument you wanted them all there if you don't know what some of them even are. For example, updreg.exe. Yes, it actually was installed secretly.

It's not about stripping them to save RAM usage; it's about stripping them to save your sanity. Yes, it should work just fine no matter what driver you're using... but it's not... and since nvidia can't recreate the error, you're stuck in purgatory.

I'd give it a shot? Not just stop some of them running at startup, but stop all of them. Who knows, you may just find out what's causing this? Besides, it's not like any of this stuff is going to load any faster or slower because it's not loaded.

**edit**

I just updated to 10 pro and one of the things I was dreading was wondering if I'd get this error? I hadn't while on 7. Upgraded with the 368.22's installed. After upgrading I installed the 39's, been lucky so far. I know that doesn't help much, just saying that all the crap I dragged with me hasn't seem to have brought on the error, nor did running 368.xx.

18. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Ignoring that last unnecessarily rude comment then, yes, I agree that one of those programs might possibly have been the issue but if that is the case as you confidently believe then why would it matter if I was running dozens of others or no more programs alongside it? In other words, you are saying that the problem isn't that I am running all of those programs, it's that I am using the ONE particular program that causes the issue!!! ;)

Yes, there can be software conflicts when using lots of different software but you are overlooking the fact that the v365.19 driver and earlier work 100% fine with all of those programs running. So the conflict is not with any of those but one part of the driver as identified by gwit: nvwgf2umx.dll!

19. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Do people even read what I wrote?!? I have already stated that I have tried the new drivers without any of those programs and the same issues occur! If I want to run them then it is my choice but they do not affect games or Windows performance anyway.

By the way, I listed those programs from Startup Manager, a tool I use to disable or delete unwanted background programs. UpdReg.exe is actually one the programs that is disabled (as is JUSched.exe). I included them by mistake because I sorted the list alphabetically and forgot to check the enabled/disabled part. Sorry for the misinformation. I will edit my post.

20. Fumz

Fumz Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080Ti sc black icx
    Actually, yes. I read exactly what you wrote, which is why I commented in the first place.

Many |= all, or any.