Jumping/flickering image R9 280 drives me crazy!

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Keitosha, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    I have a problem which started around when the new Crimson drivers were released. My image jumps or flickers randomly when for example browsing or just leaving it on desktop. This doesn't occur when I'm watching a video or playing a game.

This drives me nuts and not sure how to fix it. Already did a clean Win 10 64-bit install and clean driver install (16.6.1) with no avail.

Looking onto the web there are more having this and it might be a bios problem. (switching 2D/3D clocks) I would want to try another bios, but unsure which is compatible.

My card is a VTX3D R9 280 X-edition and it has this bios:
    https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/161008/vtx3d-r9280x-3072-140213

Connected via HDMI to my telly, also happens with DVI/D-sub on a monitor.

Anyone got an idea how to get rid of the bloody jumpy screen?

The problem does not occur on my HD7850/R7 265.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  2. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    Only time i ever had flicker issues was when chrome browser was running and it had gpu hardware acceleration enabled......now with that being said i have not had any issues lately and the recent drivers. If your already using 16.6.1 then i suspect an application running in the background is not agreeing with you driver. Anyways that my guess!

3. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    It might has something to do with "bad" idle clocks.

Put some load on GPU when on desktop and see if fixes flickering. If setting higher clock does fixes it, you might want change idle clock or find better fitting bios.

4. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Dont have any flickering with my R9 280.

Have 3 monitors hooked up to it as well. Stays at 500/1400 at all times in desktop.

Try running clockblocker and see what it does and not allowing card to go to 3d clocks.

Could also try to flash the XFX Double D black bios. Thats what my R9 280 is. Its 1000/1400 for 3d clocks with no boost. But also goes to 1100/1450 on stock voltage of the card for OC.

5. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    yea that would be the very same bios i am using and it works very good

6. OlivThree

OlivThree Guest

GPU:
    290X/4GB ASUS DCUII
    Hi, I had the same problem with a Sapphire Dual-X R9 280x. The problem was solved when sapphire released an updated bios to address the issue.