DooM 4 Thread (Pt.2)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by morbias, Jun 6, 2016.

1. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
  2. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    So, anyone here finished the game the hardest difficulty with perma-death? :)

Personally I dislike such challenges, but I'm sure there are some ultra-hardcore players out there that like them.

3. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Won't even try that one, I'd probably suffer a stroke from frustration, lols!

Just started a second playthrough on regular Nightmare, that's enough of a challenge for me.
    Plus it doesn't seem to be quite as unfair a difficulty as in older Dooms.

4. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    oh, just wait a lil bit :bang: hehe

5. adabiviak

adabiviak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980Ti
    Let's kick this off with a little poll: What's your preferred mod for each gun?
    Shotgun - Charged Burst or Explosive Shot?
    Heavy Assault Rifle - Tactical Scope or Micro Missiles?
    Chaingun - Gatling Rotator or Mobile Turret?
    Plasma Rifle - Heat Blast or Stun Bomb?
    Gauss Cannon - Precision Bolt or Siege Mode?
    Rocket Launcher - Remote Detonation or Lock on Target?

For me:

Shotgun: Explosive shot, mostly because it enables fairly instantly and the area-of-effect damage is nice (I mostly use it to quickly gank Imps I've immobilized with the Plasma Rifle stun bomb). I don't have the Burst shot maxed yet though (if the damage buff for successfully hitting all three shots is high enough, this might take over; you can bank them, no (or does the charge disappear if you unequip the shotgun)?

Heavy Assault Rifle: Tactical Scope; the micro missiles may hit harder (not sure, actually), and even when maxed, and you can unload all the missiles until you're out of ammo, the Tactical Scope is just more fun for me.

Chaingun: I don't have incendiary rounds for the gatling rotator yet, but I have to say, I am totally hooked on the mobile turret mode with no cooldown penalty and The Rich get Richer II rune on deck.

Plasma Rifle: Stun Bomb for the strategic implications. I haven't really used the Heat Blast (but should have it maxed here in a bit). Enemies really should never get that close, and the Plasma Rifle by itself doesn't seem to hit that hard?

Gauss Cannon: Precision Bolt (this is probably as close to a railgun as we're going to get). Once I get the ability to move while using the siege bolt, I'll try it. It seems weird... like it should hit very hard for what it seems to do.

Rocket Launcher: Lock on Target makes it one of the few "fire and forget" weapons in the game. I just got Remote Detonation, and the side enhancements seem nice... I avoided it because I'm pretty good at getting direct hits, and generally treat remote detonation rockets like this as a "whoops, I missed, maybe I'll still get some splash", but maybe there's some other strategic use for this?

6. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    I seem to revolve around my favorite combo:

Shotgun with triple shot – stops Hell Knights and such getting too close

HAR with the tactical scope – decent damage at decent range, but exchange it for the

Chaingun with the rotary mod for when things get too crowded.

I need to play around more with the other weapons, but this combo gets me through every situations so far and with a grin on my face.

:chainsaw2:

7. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    I like the explosive shot for the shotgun, the scope for the assault rifle, and I have the stun bomb for the plasma rifle. The problem for me is that by the time I get the weapon changed, the stun has worn off. I can't use that weapon wheel very well so I use the weapon numbers on the keyboard. The fast switch thing usually doesn't work either.

Lock on target is good for the Rocket Launcher and when I don't use it, I always aim at the ground at the enemy's feet because if I aim at them directly, it very often misses and doesn't do anything.

I only have fast reload on the super shotgun so far. I still can't get back to Mars and I'm thinking about uninstalling to gain my disk space back. The game is just too hard for me.

8. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Played some of the mp... as with the beta, I kind of like it, but the spammy nature and the OPness from the demons is just too annoying when you are on the receiving end. It's a shame that the season pass is mp content only, it will likely make the owners even more OP in some way in the future.

Snapmap is nice, if you have the patience for it. You can always play other people's creations, if you can't be bothered with your own like me. :p

9. Xuanzang

Xuanzang Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 7900 XTX
    After completing the game once on "Hurt me plenty", looking at the stats, i had used the Super Shotgun the most with the Assault rifle in a close second.

Got through the UAC on Ultra Nightmare difficulty, but died shortly after, and figured that there was no way i could ever complete the game on perma death settings, so im currently trying to bash my way through on Nightmare instead. It's pretty hard to say the least.

With that said, i haven't played for like 8 days now due to all the random crashing, and will probably just leave it there until they come up with a fix for it.

10. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    The effect does not stack (says so in the description) so make it count ;)
    Plus it only applies to the next three-burst round IIRC, not normal shots.

Burst shot/explosive for shotgun, keep alternating between them, and scope for rifle and precision bolt for gauss are my favorites.

Also using mobile turret for chaingun but don't use chaingun that much anymore. Started with gatling rotator but mobile turret seems a lot better due to the insane fire rate.

Super shotgun + chainsaw is my weapon of choice most of the time. Shotgun first and chainsaw second after running out of shells.
    Especially with the double-shot the SS is excellent. Throw in a little quad-damage too...

11. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    YES !! I made it back to Mars and I'm in the research facility looking for Hayden again. I didn't have a single crash in about 5 hours of play. Super Shotgun, Gauss Cannon, and Rocket Launcher FTW with a couple of chainsaws when ammo was low.

I've had this feeling since the beginning but don't tell me if I'm right or wrong if it would spoil anything. Maybe Samuel Hayden = S.Hayden= Satan?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
  12. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX980 GAMING 1531mhz

Whats the point ? The achievement for this game are super easy to 100% them. U need to complete only the first mission with perma-death to unlock a achievement, the rest are easy.

Check the game pillars of eternity's achievement to see some really hard core achievement that require to play at the last diff, and plus solo.

13. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Absolutely no interest.
    I like a challenge, but I still want the experience to be fun. I don't like playing games that are difficult for the sake of being difficult.

And, after playing the first mission to get the achievement, I have zero desire to ever try the full campaign on that difficulty. With full health, being killed in one shot from an Imp's fireball... yeah, that's not fun.

14. adabiviak

adabiviak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980Ti
    Really? This is one of the few mods I haven't actually used. Stops a Hell Knight? As in, kills it, or stuns it for a moment during a charge?

I haven't really used the weapon wheel (which is weird, because I loved it in Crysis), but the fast switch should work with just a bump of the scroll wheel? I use the stun bomb to either a) get out of a dangerous situation or b) stop an Imp from squirming around, then it's a single bump to the shotgun with the explosive shot. If you have all of those buffed, the stun will also last longer, and the explosive shot charges immediately. Have you maxed out the stun bomb?

I'm playing on Hurt Me Plenty, and the difficulty is just right (although now that I have basically all the weapon mods maxed out, I may do another playthrough with a higher one). Are there easier difficulty levels, or are you on the easiest now?

Really? The Super Shotgun is nice, but it seems like overkill for the little guys, and not enough for the big ones (it'll kill them, not not before they get uncomfortably close). Maybe I'll start using it more.

Ultra Nightmare is more like a challenge mode than a higher difficulty; the only difference between that and Nightmare is perma-death, no? Crazy.

That's a drag (especially if you're trying Ultra Nightmare mode). I am fairly curious what the issue is, as some systems seem completely immune to this.

I tend to save the chainsaw for emergencies, like a Baron of Hell catches me off guard and I'm cornered or something... there's not enough fuel to use it with any serious regularity, no?

Nice :infinity:

15. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    For me...

Shotgun - Explosive mod. But, even then I don't use it that much.

Assault Rifle - Micro missiles. Work great on the Mancubus.

Chaingun - Either. As with most Doom titles, I don't use the chaingun that much. Specially in games like Doom 3, or this DOOM. With a machine gun... I fall back on it more often.

Rocket Launcher - Lock on mod. Great for Summoners.

Plasma Rifle - Heat Blast. Awesome tool for when you get surrounded.

Gauss Rifle - Siege Mode. Again, great for groups of smaller enemies, and a beast against some of the larger baddies.

16. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Yea either use it as a last resort or when you need more ammo.

17. adabiviak

adabiviak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980Ti
    They're so slow though that they are one of my favorite targets for the Tactical Scope.

How big is the range of these? Are you using the Plasma Rifle regular fire during combat, and if anyone gets close, push them off with the Heat Blast (or using some other weapon, then switching to Plasma Rifle to fire Heat Blast)? Seriously, I just need to try them out more. Does Heat Blast kill, and/or just knock back?

18. Skinner

Skinner Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090
    Still no Vulcan, if it takes much longer, it's allmost useless :(

19. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Well in Doom 3 nightmare was basicaly 1 hit and you're dead (unless you picked up health/armor which slowly decayed back to 25 hp), but in exchange, it was way way easier to dodge everything. You could litterally dodge every attack.

I definitely prefer the blast on the plasma rifle. Run in like a mad man and actually get surrounded intentionally and then... bam.

20. Xuanzang

Xuanzang Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 7900 XTX
    For anyone wondering if the new .39 drivers performs any better in Doom than the .22 drivers, no not on my system anyway. They give pretty much the same fps, which imo is already pretty good.