fps tanks and stays there, done so for several drivers

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Emille, May 31, 2016.

1. Emille

Emille Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    The frame rates plummet to 25-35 frames in games that have always ran at 60fps for me and they stay there. The weird thing is that the core clocks stay at my overclocked speed but the memory clock goes down to stock.

I have to disable the display adapter and then enable it, or restart the pc to fix it.

I have done fresh driver installs after several drivers in a row had that problem and have recently done a fresh install of windows 10 less than 6 months ago.

Is this a problem other people are having with a string of bad drivers or is there another cause and hopefully as fix?

#nvcp is set to maximum performance, and when the frames drop it is not to an even number and is not a vsync issue.

2. Minotaur

Minotaur Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward 1080 GLH
    Same here, surprisingly fixed here with the 1070/80 drivers, .25 so far. Seems they fixed a lot for new consumers, buggered the rest of us.
    To be fair they did fix video coding/decoding in .22 (how long after the branch release? lol). See the SVP forums for details about that :(

3. Emille

Emille Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    Which drivers are you using now?

I have used all the recent ones and 368.22 has the same problem.

Is there a newer driver than that?

Edit:

I found the 368.25 one and am downloading it not, fingers crossed but I have no hope, nvidia have lost it releasing broken drivers after broken drivers for so long.

Final Edit:

Nope, I installed the 1080 driver with a modified inf and the problem persists

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  4. Pyrage

Pyrage Master Guru

GPU:
    580 CF@ 1470
    Does this happens when you run games at your default speeds?

This can happen when your card is -barely- tolerating your oc. You should get a modded bios with unlocked limits so you can boost your power and voltage limits.

Also, use GPU-Z to make sure the card is not running at x4 pci-e 2.0 or something.

5. Emille

Emille Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    I just checked gpuz and it is running at 16 @ 3.0 speed.

I have had this O.C since the 980 launched and it has always been fine, I( downclocked yesterday to see if this problem kept happening, I might try stock speed for a while, but it's been going on for maybe 4 or 5 drivers, I don't know exactly when it started.

The performance is like a low performance mode drop but the memory clock drops to stock until reboot...

6. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    You're describing all the classic symptoms of a memory overclock that is too high. Drivers sometimes can cause instability on a previously *stable* OC by changing memory timing parameters or how the GPU core is utilized in games. Trouble shooting step number 1, is reducing your clocks to stock to see if you can eliminate the errors.

7. Yeah, I agree that the issue sounds like a unstable VRAM overclock issue. I will add by recommending you make sure Active-State Power Management (ASMP) is disabled for PCI-E settings in the BIOS and turn off PCI-E power savings in the Windows power options.

8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    What are your temps when it tanks?

9. Emille

Emille Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    Temps are normal but gpu usage is 100% even though the fps is low.

@Everyone else.

Sounds like it might be memory then. I'll see how it goes with a lower memory clock for a few days and see if it still happens.

Also, there is no driver stopped responding warning...just the sudden and persistent drop on performance.

EDIT:

It happens on boot at desktop, I( launch a game with recuded memory clocks and it already has it downclocked immediately.

I think it's a driver issue if it isn't even happening under gpu stress.

MSI afterburner is reporting clocks of 500mhz higher than stock when set to stock, the new drivers ( the last 4 or 5 ) coupled with possibly an outdate msi might be the reason.

I am updating msi now and will see. The problem still happened when set to stock and even with the 500mhz auto overclock from stock it was still 500mhz lower than my long time stable clock.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  10. Emille

Emille Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    Running at stock clocks, with the latest driver with modified inf and with the latest MSI afterburner didn't help at all, it still happens somethimes immediately and sometimes after 10 minutes of gaming, I swear it must be a driver issue.

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Scanned for bitcoin miners?

12. Emille

Emille Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    No idea how to do that, but I don't do online gaming or anything that would leave my data out there for someone to hack...presumably.

I am at the point where I want to upgrade my gpu to a 1080 to see if the problem goes away but have no way of knowing if that will even fix it, or if my card suddenly has something wrong with it.

Regardless of browsing or gaming, stock clocks or overclocks, any driver or version of MSI afterburner and it still persists on a 'fresh'install of windows.

13. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    If your GPU usage jumps up without you using the GPU, then it could be because you are infected with a bitcoin miner, they use the GPU to mine, and whoever owns the account it is mining for, earns bitcoins while you pay for it

Try malwarebytes and the others here etc first
    http://www.malwareremovalguides.info/trojan-bitcoinminer-removal-guide/

Online gaming has nothing to do with being infected with malware, installing dodgy software from dodgy sites, or even just visiting dodgy sites can infect your machine

14. I know this might be like second nature (being PC enthusiast), but Emille have tried updating your motherboard bios to F5 (many cpu microcode updates and a XMP Memory Profile stability update, latest BIOS has all previous updates): Here. Is ASPM disabled in the BIOS and in Windows 10? My old fail-safe driver used to be 358.59: Geforce 358.59 Hotfix Driver Download, maybe it will help (make sure Afterburner is closed before you try installing and reboot afterwards).

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2016
  15. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    You can also enable the task tray option to see what is using your GPU.

In Nvidia Control Panel:
    Click the Desktop menu,
    Click the "Display GPU Activity Icon in Notification Area"

Click the GPU tray icon and a popup will show you exactly which programs are using your GPU.

[​IMG]

If one looks of the programs running on your GPU looks weird, that's likely your problem. I had one bitcoin miner get on my system once it was just a randomly named executable. Something like "a7f73e737.exe"

16. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Nice tip, cheers, didn't know about that one

Wtf lol, store and calc are closed (Still running in processes.... )

[​IMG]

17. Emille

Emille Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    Thanks, I will try it. I atill don't get why memory clocks are reporting higher though.

Yep, mb drivers are fully up to date already, thanks for tge suggestion though.

I'll check it out when I get home. Thanks.

18. Emille

Emille Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    I want to thank you beautiful geniuses for guessing a bitcoin miner.

Malwarebytes just removed it. I am going to run throuh the rest of the removal process to be safe.

I haven't tested to see if it is fixed yet...

Edit:

Initially it was obvious to me that there was a 500mhz memory overclock even when set to stock but what I didn't notice was that there was a small boost in core clock too.

So right now at stock clocks it is running about 70mhz hiher than max rated boost speed and 500mhz faster memory boost speed, this core boost I hadn't noticed in addition to my o.c may have pushed the card into instability...

What I don't know is why with all drivers with no overcloxk it is boosting unnaturally all of a sudden.

I played fallout 4 for a bit and adjusted the clocks so they were within the range of my overclocks before the bug kicked in and everything has been fine so far.

Such a weird problem.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  19. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Good stuff, my card boosts higher than rated too, even GPUz says 1367 boost, it actually boosts to 1418 with no OC

Silicon lottery

20. Emille

Emille Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    The weird thing is that it never used to, I don't know what the hell happened..