Review: Core i7 6950X / 6900K / 6850K & 6800K Processors (Broadwell-E)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 31, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. iancook221188

iancook221188 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI / GTX 460 SLI
    disappointed in the prise hopefully it is just this one chip that is the bad overclocker

3. Xuanzang

Xuanzang Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 7900 XTX
  4. shamus21

shamus21 Member Guru

GPU:
    How come you always get poor quality CPU`s Hilbert, don`t intel like much :)

5. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Hey what can I say .. at least I achieved 4.4 GHz on all cores, it just required many volts with our sample. Perhaps with few BIOS updates temps will stabilize a bit better.

6. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Nice one HH,just that price for 6950x,I expected around $1000 for that one,but that price I think is close to Xeon

Thanks,Jura

7. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    I have to say that IMO the review sucked, especially in video game department, instead of doing a proper last gen vs new gen comparison so people with previous Gen could see if its worth upgrading, we got top of the line Intels compared vs low cost AMDs that not really in the same price/performance category.

Honestly, I have absolutely no idea now how fast 6800K vs 5820K in video games and if its worth upgrading, if it can be as easily overclocked to 4.5Ghz and how hot its compared to 5820K.

8. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Thanks so much !

9. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi HH

Assume are have tested ES sample or did you tested retail sample? If its ES then I would expect poor OC

Thanks,Jura

10. Warboy

Warboy Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 2080 Ti
    Seems you didn't try pushing uncore which is helpful for memory bandwidth and better L3 performance. I heard Intel was going to "unofficially" support Uncore overclocking with BWE.

11. MainFrame Alpha

MainFrame Alpha Guest

GPU:
    Strix GTX 980 TI
    when i woke up this morning i did not see this one coming... honestly HH how long have you been sitting on this one... good one :nerd:
    Great review as always, although the price tag OC performance on the big guns are disappointing, still a six core upgrade on a one of those brand new X99s would be something from my old companion mobe, when ever such a combo may arrive here, if it ever arrives here knowing where here is :3eyes:and never forget the insane price tag it is gonna show up with for the whole package.:bang:
    still for every day use and gaming i don know is it worth it to choose an X99 over a Z170 combo specially noting that 6700K can go head to head with the big size over priced brother.

12. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    This may be an upgrade path for me if it supports win 7, cos of weird hardware limitations I'm stuck there for now (firewire soundcard). Good review, HH, cheers, but that OC performance is a bit... meh.

13. MainFrame Alpha

MainFrame Alpha Guest

GPU:
    Strix GTX 980 TI
    Dude, if you wanna compare performance there are plenty of sites and software for that, giving the time HH was given for the review and effort i guess the benchmarks are more than enough to give you a clear view on over all performance comparison.

14. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Ok. Now I am interested. Which would be the best option out of these to get? As in well either of the 6-core cpus I guess.

Great review.

Could be my next upgrade step.

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  15. Lowice

Lowice Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 980ti OC
    So no need for me to upgrade my i7 3820 when it is only used for gaming then.

16. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    The 6800K has the sweet spot if 6 cores are enough for you as well as 28 PCIe Gen 3.0 lanes (opposed to 40). Being a K model you'll have the six cores at 4 GHz in no time eliminating the per core disadvantage.

17. Vipu2

Vipu2 Guest

GPU:
    1070ti
    Where does this info come from?
    I didnt see about win10 req in this review.

18. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Ok. It seems so. I don't need 40 lanes for sure, since I will be back to single card configuration. And the price difference between 6800K and 6900K is huge.

Thanks for the input :) I will be upgrading later this summer so 6800K it will be most likely.

19. weasel

weasel Guest

GPU:
    2080ti&1080Ti
    Very nice review HH good work again.Its a pitty if its true you can only use these newer cpu's on win 10.I'm running windows 10 on my second system from the beginning and i'm not really impressed.But all in all there will come a time we shall have to lay windows 7 to rest but not for now.(for me) :)

If the cpu's supported win 7 i would consider buying a 6900K immediately.

20. Yogi

Yogi Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800
    Out of curiosity, does anybody know if AMD's Summit Ridge will be competing against any of Intel's Haswell-E line up?