How to stop thumbnail icons being erased?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Danny_G13, May 28, 2016.

1. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Curious one this:

Windows 10 64. I THINK I'm ironing out as many of the glitches as I can, but there's one strange one I can't get rid.

It only happens in one folder as well.

Basically as you all know Windows builds up an iconcache for thumbnails, so it remembers when you return to that folder. This works fine in my photos and media and basically everywhere, EXCEPT one folder which contains a LOT of self-contained exes. Apps, basically. Half of these files have the UAC yellow and blue admin rights shield over them, and the other half don't.

And EVERY time I go in the icons' thumbails, after having slowly loaded the last time, are all gone again and I have to wait again.

It's cosmetic, and not deal-breaking, but it's annoying.

I've tried rebuilding iconcache once or twice but it doesn't fix this particular folder.

Any ideas?

2. TheRyuu

TheRyuu Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
    You mention executables so it may be waiting on Defender to finish it's background scanning of the files in question instead of them not being cached. I get that with larger executables such as Nvidia drivers it sometimes takes a second for it to go through them.

3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    You can check which template this folder has in properties dialog (documents, photos, music etc) and try to switch.

4. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC

5. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Ah, that might well be it! I'll try to firmly disable Defender. Thought I already had.

6. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
  7. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    This is what it was. Thank you.