Australian GTX1080 pricing

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by djm67, May 27, 2016.

1. djm67

djm67 Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080
  2. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    That's... $861.53 USD. So I guess you guys get prices like Canada eh? That and I bet you guys pay more taxes like us as well.

Edit: Google says typically 10% sales tax, we've had 13-15%. 10% is not too bad.

Wait, does that price already include tax?

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    To be honest, EU is the worst. Who is getting fcked? We do, again.

4. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I remember spending about $1100 for the X1900XTX on the day of it's release so this seems about right.

Kind of sad though : <

5. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
  6. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Shafted you say? Just look at GTX 1080 this price here in Serbia:
    http://www.itsvet.com/graficka_karta_asus_geforce_gtx_1080_gtx1080_8g-pdaa1-25.i?id=4307

Almost 880€, that's the 3x average monthly paychecks here in Serbia! I'm not talking about myself because I earn more than that but here even for above average wealthy gamer card expencive like that is nothing more than a unfulfilled dream.

So be happy with that AU price, ~1200AUD is probably half of your monthly paycheck, maybe even less than that.

7. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Can't you do your electronics shopping once a year in another EU country? In Canada we can't just go to the US and shop there since at the border they rob us. If you stay a certain amount of time you're allowed to bring back what used to be $500 or less (with a fee I'm sure), but I don't know what it is now. Either way not enough to buy electronics.

8. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Australia need to stop complaining. When it takes you 2 weeks of minimum wage to earn enough to buy a 1080, compared to 2 months or more in some EU countries, you guys have it good. Not to mention some other parts of the world which really get shafted. I feel for those guys.

I know my brother would have to work 2 months on his salary just to earn enough to buy one of these. That's getting shafted. No wonder he gets a lot of my hardware passed down to him, there's no way he can afford it otherwise.

you do realise minimum wage in Australia is over $14/hour? What is it in Canada?

yep.

Last edited: May 28, 2016
  9. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    VAT and import duty are the big ones for us, plus whatever EU fees there are. Worse is gas, we pay duty on the fuel, VAT on the fuel AND VAT on the duty...

10. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Actually, we have like 21% VAT in Belgium, yet prices are usually in the €500-600 range for a x80GTX card.

Though I expect them to be priced somewhat higher at release.

Also if people need to work 2 months to get one in the UK, things are much worse there then I expected.

I need to work 2 weeks to pay one (if we exclude the whoppingly insane "just released" price).

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    not this time, the 1080 is over 700 eur and that's 2 months salary in some EU countries.

12. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Nobody will force nobody to buy something expensive.
    Too expensive NO buy.Easy for us,worst for them,for the sellers.

The sellers wants more money to spent on their vacation,so be wise untill autumn.

13. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Well yeah, but like I said, odds are it'll drop to 500-600 a bit after release.

14. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    For a little comparison, the MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming 4GB can be had at $479 here in Australia, the MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB can be had for $899, although there are some 980 Ti's more expensive than this 1080.

This is what I'm seeing at PCCG

[​IMG]

15. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    Around 1400u$d here.

16. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Feel for you man, Argentina and Brazil get shafted. I'm pretty sure it's the same for most of South America :(

17. CrazY_Milojko

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC

Serbia is not in EU, yet. Shopping in nearest Hungary is our best chance to buy something expencive like this GTX 1080 and not to get ripped by local Serbian importers/retailers. Prices in Hungary are usually 30% to even (on sales) 60% lower compared to regular prices here in Serbia, not mention things like Black Friday sales don't exist here. So weekend IT shoping in Hungary, and smuggling IT tech over the border/custom are common thing here, especially in the north of state, in north of Vojvodina for example. Things are even better for those who have dual Serbian/Hungarian citizenship: going to Hungary with Hungarian passport they buy tech cheap in Hungary, on Hungarian custom they get VAT refunded back to their hungarian bank accounts, then they smuggle tech over the Serbian boder/custom, usual lies like: "...I don't have anything to report, just few toys as a present for my kids...", many of them even have their (bribed) people among custom officers.

Many people here with dual Serbian/Hungarian citizenship (ab)use this opportinity to earn for living, smuggling tech from Hungary and selling it good chunk cheaper than local retailers here in Serbia: TVs, IT stuff...

Warranty is the only problem in this case, it could last few weeks until you get repaired or new replaced item. That's the only thing that's stopping me to buy from those sellers...

18. CrazY_Milojko

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Oh man, that price is just awful :(

19. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Az nem jo baratom :(

Hey, look, I'm linguistically switched on. Haven't practiced my Hungarian in ages :)

Sounds like a James Bond jobbie haha. Snuggling stuff over the border. I remember those days.

20. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    We always get shafted.

It's not like I'll be changing my card anytime soon.
    But, it's an awful price for sure.