Goodbye to old CORSAIR tx750w

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Cyberdyne, May 27, 2016.

1. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    My CORSAIR tx750w spent over 8 years powering through 4 different GPU's.
    It died, but in the most strange way possible.

I had two regular HDD's. The OS drive being also over 8 years old was disappearing on start up. But not randomly, only when the system was powered down for at least a few hours. After a restart, the drive shows again. But, I still suspected it was the drive simply ageing, even though SMART reported perfect health.

So I upgraded to two SSD's. This time, the secondary drive was disappearing. In the exact same manor as before. This is when I started scratching my head, had my PSU finally kicked the bucket? I mean, I had no BSOD's, constant Witcher 3 playing, system on for 48 hours, no issues.

But it turns out that's how the PSU decided to die. I replaced it and no more disappearing drive. I just thought it was strange, it could power a 970 on startup but not two SSD's, lol.

I've replaced it with a CX750w from Bestbuy. Now, before you curse me out for getting what is considered a cheap component PSU, I was lucky enough to get the second revision. (the crap one uses green logo/lettering, the decent one uses white/black).

When I got the TX, modular was rather recent, so this is my first modular PSU. It really does help with cable management.
    Especially when you consider that my case is also over 8 years old (Antec 900) before proper cable management in $100 cases was a must.

Just thought I'd share my recent fiasco, I was really stumped on that issue for awhile. And based on my highlighted 'also's, it seems a new case might be in order as that is the last part that is original to the build.

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  2. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    yup happens with the best units. good thing is that its mostly a capacitor failure so it doesnt affect your experience once your system is running.
    but startup problems due to capacitor leakage are common. goes as far as pressing the power button does nothing for 2 minutes and then it works...

i love their psu's though. their ram, not so... (overpriced)

may it rest in peace :)

3. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Yeah, it took me longer then I would like to admit to consider the capacitors being the issue in the PSU.
    I tried everything I could think of, BIOS update, BIOS settings, switching SATA cables around, different ports, different SATA power cables.
    After that all failed, I figured that since the issue only happened after it was off for a few hours maybe it was because the capacitors had enough time to drain.

4. mykemyk2006

mykemyk2006 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070
    Its a great PSU. Mine is still kicking in my other rig from like 10 years ago

5. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4080
    My tx750 died a cuple of years ago. About 6-8 years in service.
    It just delivered less and less power until it could not handle 300w. But i got the money out of it.
    This rm1000i i have now are very good for it's price. (how long it will last, are yet to be discovered, runnig it hard with sli, 6hdd's, 3 ssd's. Acting as both media server and game rig )

6. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    I killed a 9 year old Antec PSU last year screwing with some old parts and plugging the case wires improperly. Afterwards, it would simply spin the case fans for about half a second when you press the power button, followed by nothing. This is apparently a common scenario with power supply failure.

I spent hours fiddling with parts before determining it was the PSU. I ended up having to yank one from another PC for testing. Now I will always keep a spare power supply just in case, even an under-powered one will do for most troubleshooting.

7. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    still have my corsair tx650, humming along issue free. got it in 2008 with a c2d e6660.

8. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    I had a TX750 too. Mine starting failing after a few years. Also had a strange oddity.

Everyday the first time i powered it on, it would freeze on windows loading. I had to let it set for a couple mins, turn it off and try again. It would load windows every time after 'warming' up.

Took me a while to figure it out.

9. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Just wanted to add that even the second version of the CX750M sucks. Ended going balls to the wall and get a PSU I would not have to worry about, EVGA SuperNOVA 1000w P2. And the NZXT S340 case.
    Love the case btw.

10. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Corsair replaced the TX 750w (original OEM Channell Well) with a v2, a better Seasonic made unit a few years later.

11. dasa2

dasa2 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 290@1200 MCW60
    first tx750 was doa (went bang on first power up)
    second lasted ~3-4 years it started making a arcing electric sound at high loads which was replaced with a 750v2
    unfortunately its fan is fairly loud and cost ~$80au in post to send the dead one back to china since the place of purchase no longer existed