Black screen error in Windows 10?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Danny_G13, May 26, 2016.

1. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    So owing to some of the comments in this thread I made I'd like to persist a little with Windows 10, and thankfully one of the crashes I have is a replicating error, which means something is clearly the culprit. I just need to pin down what.

Twice now I've woken the system up (other half previously slept it on her account) to type in my password on my account and after hitting return the screen goes black apart from my moving cursor.

Keyboard is still alive - caps lock goes on and off happily, but ctrl-alt-del does NOT work leaving me locked out. The power button also does not work so I can't clean shut down. I'm left to a hard reset.

So I look in event viewer at the last two of these I've had and two things are in common - there's a:

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
    {D63B10C5-BB46-4990-A94F-E40B9D520160}
    and APPID
    {9CA88EE3-ACB7-47C8-AFC4-AB702511C276}
    to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool

Under 'Distributed COM' error for both.

And, possibly more tellingly, an exclamation for:

Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I218-V
    Network link is disconnected.

Under e1iexpress.

For both.

Beyond this I'm a little confused.

I don't mind replicating crashes because something caused them both times - it's rooting out the culprit I'm stumped by right now.

Any ideas?

2. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    i dont think your black screen problem is related to the DCOM message.
    but we can't know for sure.
    to fix this anyway find those in the registry

Code:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AppID\{9CA88EE3-ACB7-47c8-AFC4-AB702511C276}
    Code:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{D63B10C5-BB46-4990-A94F-E40B9D520160}
    go to the permissions of those keys & change the owner to a local admin or the administrators group. also make sure to add the admin/administrators with full control in the permission entry table. and make sure to have the child inheritance checkbox ticked.

then open dcom config tool
    -> compon. services -> computers -> my comp. -> DCOM config
    look for the item "runtimebroker", go to its properties -> security
    and then force edit "launch/activation permission" and add the 'SYSTEM' account here as well as local admin and/or administrator group (just to be sure)

try if it solves the login problem.
    it should certainly solve the error from your eventlog tho'

maybe you will have to repair faulty DCOM entries when you click on DCOM config as well but system will ask you to do so. but that's not too important.

3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    The only time I permitted upgrade from Win81 to Win10 I noticed quite a bunch of "The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID " errors. And my attempts to resolve them in Control panel and in registry finished with bricked OS.

Danny_G13, be sure to have backup of all important data before you went into Control panel.

4. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    All this for a black screen! All done, thank you, time will tell if that resolved it.

5. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Well I do kinda wish I'd read this first ha! Oh well, no risk, no reward, right?

6. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Rebooted and it did it immediately on login. That definitely wasn't the cause. It's happening more and more. I've had about four of these in the past 24 hours. I've also noticed it's happened frequently since I went up to Windows 10's November build.

7. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    yeah seems these are separate problems.
    do you now get the eventlog DCOM error still though?

8. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    No, it wasn't evident on the last instance. So thanks at least for that. It's (black screen) also not happened since the mentioned reboot so for now I'll give it the benefit of the doubt. I'll bump this thread if the issue resurfaces.

Cheers,

9. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    I THINK this was down to using an old version of Daemon Tools Lite. I disabled it in startup and it's not happened since. We'll see. PS I don't like the newer versions hence my reluctance to use them.

10. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Nope, happened again. Anyone got any further ideas? Just so we're clear, it's after I put in the password at login and hit return. Keyboard is still alive but doesn't give me ctrl-alt-del. Total black screen with moving cursor but can't do anything beyond hard reset.

It also never happens with logging into my other half's account, only mine.

This is starting to REALLY annoy me now. Been going on for a week.

11. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Oh, and that CLSID error returned too. In event viewer. This never happened on the previous build of Windows 10, and never on Windows 7.

12. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    screen can go off (or black) if it trys to run the display at an incorrect refresh as well, but i never seen it happen outside a game before..try unplugging the display for a second and see if it has any effect

13. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    I did, no joy. I have since uninstalled the drivers and put on the most recent ones. I'm hoping that helps. End of my rope on this one.