Big corporation (M$) rant, like really huge rant.

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by NomadAssassin, May 25, 2016.

1. NomadAssassin

NomadAssassin Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB SC
    I used to be happily working at the brewery where I'd work this relatively careless job with moderately good pay, up until I decided to leave and follow my dream working with computers. So I've became a support for this local state owned hospital in my town. And so far for the past year I'm dealing with the usual bull and issues of the job, but it's nothing all that bad aside of some people witch honestly I don't know how did they even passed high school let alone become certified as medical doctors.
    Okay I'm just going to start explaining today was a nightmare and all because of the "geniuses" and the Windows devision of MicroSoft. I swear to God ever since Steve B left the house things are going downhill for the company.
    Imagine you being a doctor with a heavily filled schedule, working job that literally saves lives and when you turn on your most important tool now days, you are greeted with FU you are not doing anything mother****er because your going to embrace the wonders of Windows 10. That's right the ENTIRE facility got ****ed by M$ against everyones will. I mean I do understand wanting to enforce your product upon others and wanting people to use the newest stuff. I'm all for that. But that's not the way! What were they thinking?!
    For a home user like me and you it's whatever just wait two hours and it's all fine nothing fatal. But here we are talking of people that need these computers to do urgent and very,very important work. You are not only screwing the doctors but the patients as well and especially them.
    I don't put myself into account because it's my job of course.

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Get a better tech support team, they should have known that was going to happen by now, and put measures in place to prevent it

3. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Interesting. Our pcs are not being upgraded but then again we work at a software company. So everything has been blocked.

That could lead to really serious issues you got there indeed.

4. NomadAssassin

NomadAssassin Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB SC
    We are two people. Me and my boss and we payed about the minimum wage to support 20 PCs which is ridiculous even for bulgarian standards. Do you know what state owned hospital in small Bulgarian town means?
    Team... ROFL :D

5. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Sir. I'm going to need you to add a tl;dr. :bounce:

6. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I had a feeling it was going to be about their stupid OS. Not surprised at all :p

7. NomadAssassin

NomadAssassin Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB SC
    The OS is stupid but it isn't really that bad truth be told. I wouldn't use it anytime soon (using it right now on my rig but going back to 8.1 in a day) but they really has to change their policy and rethink their strategy.

8. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    This.

Sorry if we're being blunt.

Also, in a critical environment you should always have backup plans in place for some of your end users.

Then again that also relies heavily on the company's budget, etc.

9. NomadAssassin

NomadAssassin Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB SC
    The "company budget" is whatever the hospital's director gives as a budget and usually it's either very little or he'd want half of it for himself under the table. You know nothing of Eastern European corruption do you Corrupt?

10. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    2 people to support only 20 PCs?

So 10 PCs each, and you've had months and months to prepare for this, and did nothing?

Your rant isn't about MS, it's about the only two tech support guys, with a tiny number of machines to support, not doing their job

Regardless of what evil MS did by automating the upgrades, tech support is there to fix what MS and users break

If I was management and came in to see all 20 machines crippled because of tech support incompetence, I'd sack them

Last edited: May 25, 2016

11. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    They invented the term "mission critical" for this very reason.

Typically you want to manage the computers in a group policy, disable automatic updates (which you can do on Windows 10, even client side using gpedit), then roll out a standardized slipstreamed image to all the machines. When updates are needed, you update one image, make sure it's stable, and roll out the new image. In the event of an issue you always have a stable backup with all the software they need slipstreamed and ready to go. Can be set up in a day, using free software and just Windows itself. Only takes one person.

And I work retail.

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  12. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    +1bnvbnv

13. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    You don't have them centrally managed? No Active Directory? You just let hospital computers to auto-update? : S

14. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    there cant be such thing as an "automatic" feature on any computer I'm responsible for in a work environment

15. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    OP, guess you're talking about this:
    http://hothardware.com/news/microso...10-upgrades-with-deceiving-nag-screen-prompts

Two days ago in a middle of their work few of my friends experienced this BS thanks to MS, automatic upgrade from W7 or W8.1 to W10. They're not IT geeks so when that window appeared with info that W10 upgrade is scheduled for later that day (why the hell MS is auto scheduling W10 upgrade, who the hell they think they are!?) they clicked on X (in normal world X means: I don't want this) and later that day: W10, upgrade started, in the middle of their work!

That was really dirty move from MS, guess MS is soon going to pay some penalties in EU because of this.

OP, I feel your pain. Next time: GWX Control Panel, I did it long time ago on on few of my rigs (office PCs mostly and few home rigs) with W7 and W8.1 where I don't want to deal with W10.

16. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    That's the point though, OP is tech support, he should already have known about things like that, it's his job to know, instead of passing the blame to MS, and finding out how to prevent the auto upgrade from a forum lol

As tech support you should be on the ball and up to date with all MS tricks and problems, and know how to sort them before they happen, kinda in the job description

It's not like the Windows 10 forced upgrade has been a government secret

Unless you sit in a dark room 24/7 with no connection to the outside world, you would know, especially if your job is working with computers, that the 10 upgrade was being forced

And as already stated, Auto updates should never have been enabled anyway

And the part about only being paid minimum wage... I've worked as tech support for a fairly large company, on minimum wage, it didn't make me do my job any less thoroughly

Seems like OP doesn't want to take responsibility for something that was his job to prevent, and he screwed up on

17. Whiplashwang

Whiplashwang Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 PNY
    Same thing happened to my brother's surface pro 2 today. He booted it up and as he started working the screen went black, it restarted and began to install windows 10 without his consent. He didn't even reserve a copy of windows 10 and Microsoft still forced it. Bunch of a$$holes! I've been watching my Windows 7 laptop closely to make sure it doesn't happen to mine because I'll have to buy and upgrade a bunch of software that isn't compatible with Windows 10, which I don't want to do. I may end up moving over to Linux once Vulkan (hopefully) is successful and is used by more games because Microsoft's monopoly with the directx api over PC gaming is the only reason I'm staying currently.

18. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Exact same thing could have happened to OP, in fact worse, with just a normal screwed up update from MS, not specifically a complete OS upgrade

Asking for trouble leaving automatic updates enabled on company networks

19. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    I totally agree with you, its IT's job to know and work to prevent these sorts of things from happening.

That said, WTF is MS thinking with this.. in no way form or shape should this even be a thing. Its insane that IT should even have to worry about it in the first place.

20. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea they definitely went too far with it, they didn't want to look stupid when they said 1bn devices in 1 year, they'd hit 300k last I heard... and that was probably mainly by forcing it on people

Wouldn't be surprised if it comes back to bite them with law suites

Wouldn't be too impressed if I woke up one day and my landlord had moved me to a new house while I slept