Thinking about swicthing from AMD too NVidia

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by saberwolf, May 22, 2016.

1. saberwolf

saberwolf Member Guru

GPU:
    Vapor-X R9 290x x2
    AMD latest cards (FuryX) are getting way out performed by NVidia (980 ti).

I have not owned a Nvidia card since the geforce gtx 275 (I think?) or maybe even a lesser version and that was like in 2008 - 07?

I don't remember?

I have went from a ATI 3850 to a 4000xxx to a 7000xxx and now I am currently AMD R9 290x, which is not a bad card ;) (after market cooler) Vapor-X R9 290x which was my last build from 2014.

But lately the Fury-X generation is failing miserably (performance wise) and I was considering jumping on the NVidia band wagon, considering I might be doing a new build before the year is out.

New build parts (not definitive yet)

MOBO: ASUS X99-Deluxe USB 3.1 Motherboard

MEM:
    G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9Q-32GBXL

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core 4.0 GHz LGA 1151 91W BX80662I76700K Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 530

PSU: EVGA 220-P2-1200-X1 80 PLUS Platinum 1200 W 10 yr Warranty ECO Mode Fully Modular NVIDIA SLI Ready and Crossfire Support Continous Power Supply

GPU: ????????????? nvidia GPU pending!?!?!?

As you can see I am really undecided on the GPU :( and AMD is no longer a option.

But with all these flavors of 980 ti floating around out there which is the best choice.

My first choice would be the

GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 980Ti 6GB G1 Gaming OC Edition

[​IMG]

Second would have been

XTREME Gaming Edition 980 Ti

[​IMG]

Third more than likely

GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 980Ti 6GB XTREME GAMING OC EDITION

[​IMG]

Lastly

Zotac GTX 980 Ti Amp Extreme

[​IMG]

But with the new pascal GTX 1080 arriving in stock May 27 I think my 980 ti build is going to be scrapped in replacement of the GTX 1080, plus with the new launch of this card 980 ti prices will be dropping like flies soon.

Only thing is... when will a after market cooler be available on the GTX 1080 after it's May 27 release, Nvidia reference designs have always looked like crap!

[​IMG]

I will not buy this card without a after market cooler, best time time to plan my build would probably be around OCT so it would be done by NOV, hopefully by then a after market cooler will be available on the 1080.

2. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
  3. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
  4. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black

5. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -

what games do run slow with your 290x CFX setup?

i just ask because you are aware that a functioning 290x crossfire is around 1000 points faster in 3dmark ULTRA (4k) than a GTX1080
    both setups @ stock clocks.

so dont expect an upgrade in performance when going to SINGLE card 980Ti or 1080.
    if you're going for SLI 980Ti or SLI 1080 right away then it's another story.

if you dont use a 2x 290x setup anymore then ignore my post.

also if you go from dual card to single card why would you upgrade from 850 to 1200 W?
    especially going from power hungry dual 290x to moderate 980Ti or even power saving 1080

Last edited: May 22, 2016
  6. saberwolf

saberwolf Member Guru

GPU:
    Vapor-X R9 290x x2
    Oooooh! I was more referring to Windforce or perhaps EVGA's pin of a after market cooler :)

Not Arctic Accelero Xtreme, I actually seen that vid before.

But thanx anyways.

Have not really played anything current gen that's graphically intensive, or should I say... nothing has really caught my eye.

Only thing that I am current playing at the moment is Black Ops 3 (and that's when I have time to play) would not mind getting my hands on that Rise of the Tomb Raider though :)

But I have been thinking on new build for a while now, this 2x R 290x build I am planning on giving to my daughter or maybe my sister.

They are computerless at the moment.

This new up and comming build will be my VR gaming build, which I am planning on preparing for, no sooner after said build I will more than likely buy a HTC VIVE.

And I will probably go SLI :)

Like I mentioned in above said post nothing is definitive as of yet, plus SLI might be my option?

Last edited: May 22, 2016
  7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Because this forum is filtering their domain

8. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
    Your build has incompatible parts

9. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    i do agree that 980TI is far better than fury x, as long as DX12 is not in the picture...

But with pascal here and Polaris here in a bit, u need to urge yourself to wait and let the anger go, then pick up your favorite GPU.

10. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I think you can keep that i7 4790K for another 2-3years np..

btw X99 chipset works with e.g. i7 5820K or soon i7 6800K Broadwell-e, 6700K is Skylake with Z170 chipset.

11. seaplane pilot

seaplane pilot Guest

GPU:
    2080Ti Strix
    I have two GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 980Ti 6GB XTREME GAMING OC EDITION, they are fast & quiet, but they are huge & cover up most of the pcie slots.

12. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 12gb
    Maybe you should just hang on, as the gtx 1070 will be showing its face very soon and with 8gb of vram it could just do you nicely with a price tag that maybe cheaper than a 980ti just at this minute , if i was buying a new GPU just now i would definitely wait , i know it's hard when you have the update bug , but i wouldn't run out and buy that 980ti just yet unless you can grab one for a bargain price .

13. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE

I hope you realize you picked the wrong motherboard & memory for that CPU?! Or are you planning to get an Broadwell-E model?

Use PCPartPicker to pick your parts, it will tell you if you have compatibility problems with your build.

Put this together really quick based off your selections, you went a bit overkill on that PSU. System you have listed is around ~500W. I changed it to a 1000W PSU, which would still be enough for 2x980Ti cards. I ran just that myself for about 6 months and only saw 650-700W power draw on my UPS.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/g7DbsY

14. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Very incompatible parts, since it's not April 1st it must be a troll thread instead?!

First of all, regardless of any other issue I would wait and see how the new AMD cards perform before rushing out and buying a 1080. If the upgrade is in a few months it's silly to already be talking about parts definitively, however let's break down what you listed anyway.

The motherboard is a decent one, however you're not going to be able to fit an i7-6700K in there. The RAM is a nice amount, but is DDR3 not DDR4. The performance of the RAM listed (1333) is so poor it will noticeably hold back your system even if it was compatible with the motherboard or CPU. The difference in performance between the i7-4790K and i7-6700K is so minimal that going from 24 GB DDR3-2400 to 32 GB DDR3-1333 would likely mean the performance of the new computer would be a downgrade. The other thing that doesn't make sense is how you are running 24 GB in your current system, it must be that you are running mixed mode dual and single channel?

If the items chosen were because of affordability all parts considered, I would go as far as to say any upgrade from your current system would currently be borderline stupid apart from the video card. If you insist on an Intel platform, you should wait and at least see how Kably Lake performs (unlikely to be much faster than Skylake as it's a stopgap CPU), or Cannonlake. Realistically Cannonlake would be the next sensible upgrade on Intel side of things. Alternatively I would wait and see how AMD Zen turns out.

So basically, don't do any upgrading now because quite frankly, you don't need it. The only realy benefit of going to the X99 platform would be six+ core CPU's, which don't benefit gaming so much. Also consider the AMD Zen platform will be true 8 core CPU's (16 thread) at probably Z170 (socket 1151) i7 prices. If you are having issues with performance it would be better to state what they are so assistance can be given in determining why the performance is so low.

15. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    I am always amazed by statements like these and the general public believe this.

Should let the OP build his system.

16. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

As above you have incompatible parts there,CPU is not compatible with motherboard which you are choose,for i7 6700k you need to have Z170 and for X99 you are looking at i7 5820k,5930k or 5960x or other option is to use Xeon E5 v3 series,which will be best,hard to recommend,but still I would go with X99 as future proof motherboard or socket.. plus you are really don't need 1200W,850W should be enough for you,unless you are looking at SLI

Going with Nvidia GPU this depends,have run previously mostly AMD/ATi cards and then I switched to Nvidia and if its good experience,depends,with AMD cards(R9 280x or 390x or 290) I've never have issue and something like TDR I only read on forums,right now have Titan X and plus have 980ti which I use mostly only for CUDA rendering and in last couple of weeks/months I've got around 30 TDR when I'm looking at Event Viewer

What I like on Nvidia is lower TDP,but that's it,Titan X in my case is noisy above 40% and EVGA GTX 980TI is noisy at 45%,performance depends on game or SW,friend have my old R9 390X and she is very happy she switched from MSI GTX 970 to mine MSI R9 390x

I would wait on Polaris and GTX1070 GPU when they show up and benchmarks will be available,until then I would wait and keep wallet closed

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jurs

17. lexer98

lexer98 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    In my opinion your current system still strong enough for a 1080 or even 2 ! No need to upgrade.

18. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    I wouldn't replace an I7-4790K with an i7 5xxx/6xxx for gaming, your most probably getting disappointed if that is the only reason you want to "upgrade" it for.
    Rather stick your money in some sick graphic cards and maybe fast PCI-E SSD.

Last edited: May 23, 2016