Laptop might be dying?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Coverdrave, May 22, 2016.

1. Coverdrave

Coverdrave Guest

GPU:
    GT 740M 2GB
    Hello, so I was playing PAYDAY 2 one day with a friend and all colors were gray at the start of the heist. I asked my friend if he knew how to fix it. He told me to alt+tab out of game and come back in and it worked. He said that this means my GPU was going to die in a year or so and that the same happened with his old GPU. This doesn't happens always, but most times it does. And only the first time I play a heist with the game started (if I restart the game there's chance this to happen but not again without restarting). Also happens only into PAYDAY 2. I have some pictures here that may be of help. One of them is really strange, like all colors were messed up, not gray. Here are ones with comparison I did like a hour ago from playing: Birth of Sky: http://postimg.org/image/8qebq8fn5/ - http://postimg.org/image/6037b2zox/ Murky Station: http://postimg.org/image/5eb0ncu29/ - http://postimg.org/image/3tnrpd92p/ And here is the strangest one: http://postimg.org/image/8t49o0chd/ Hope someone can tell me if it's dying or not.

2. kegastaMmer

kegastaMmer Guest

GPU:
    strix 1070 GTX
    gpu is dying, but bcuz of its bad repairing feasibility, laptop will be a door stopper with it. If it does die, sell its parts, cpu gpu n ram, and use a premium door stopper, or if u dont game, use it for internet with no gpu acceleration

3. kegastaMmer

kegastaMmer Guest

GPU:
    strix 1070 GTX
    btw any overclocking done? or any dust cleaning, temp checks with HWinfo or MSIAfterburner?

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Run DDU in safemode to remove the GPU drivers

Reboot into normal mode and reinstall the drivers

See if it's any better

5. Coverdrave

Coverdrave Guest

GPU:
    GT 740M 2GB
    No overclocking, cleaned from dust like a year ago (was planning to give it to be cleaned anyway) and temp while playing is 50-75c (80c if hot outside and GTA V runs).

DDU? And my brother installed newest drivers because he thinks it's the reason for Mozilla Firefox to black out (it's because of the theme) and I think it's happening from then. Would try to reinstall (and install older driver if it still happens) but tell me what DDU means.

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
  7. Coverdrave

Coverdrave Guest

GPU:
    GT 740M 2GB
  8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Hopefully just a driver issue then

9. Coverdrave

Coverdrave Guest

GPU:
    GT 740M 2GB
    Not fixed, this issue still happens...

10. kegastaMmer

kegastaMmer Guest

GPU:
    strix 1070 GTX
    when my laptop Gpu was on her deathbed, there were bizzare symptoms too, I would see pink garbage dots on anything white and screen would go blank and come back with display driver stopped responding. Later i got code 43 which was the last nail on her coffin. I could still oven bake or reflow it with heat gun but too busy. So , i suggest you back up your very urgent data and either get in touch with a repairer for reflow if u want to (temporary fix)
    or get ready to buy a newer laptop. This is also why I dont recommend gaming laptops

11. Coverdrave

Coverdrave Guest

GPU:
    GT 740M 2GB
    I don't have any of these issues, only these colors into PAYDAY 2. Still, I will back up my data (I already backed up the most of it) but I don't really think that my laptop is dying like you say. I still can play and do things like before without an issue.

12. kegastaMmer

kegastaMmer Guest

GPU:
    strix 1070 GTX
    well you are cautious, about it. Hence, my opinion, if no issues, no problem i suppose

13. Coverdrave

Coverdrave Guest

GPU:
    GT 740M 2GB
    Well okay. I am always cautious because I don't really have the money for new PC/laptop. So this doesn't means that my laptop is dying?

14. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    If it's only happening with that one game, I doubt it's a hardware problem

15. Coverdrave

Coverdrave Guest

GPU:
    GT 740M 2GB
    Yeah, it's only with PAYDAY 2.

16. kegastaMmer

kegastaMmer Guest

GPU:
    strix 1070 GTX
    If you want, run some Free 3D benchmarks with high settings , valley, Heaven and check the readings with Afterburner. Post your results if you see abnormalities

17. Coverdrave

Coverdrave Guest

GPU:
    GT 740M 2GB
    I've heard and seen in pics how PC parts get burned out because of FurMark and this benchmark tool you are saying is probably able to do this, so I am afraid of running apps like this. And also Afterburner has some weird error. I've posted a thread about it in Afterburner section much time ago. Seems like I have to reinstall Windows. So I can't run Afterburner.

18. kegastaMmer

kegastaMmer Guest

GPU:
    strix 1070 GTX
    furmark and uniEngine benchmarks are different, one rotates a fur- doughnut, another renders a game environment, and the systems like yours will shut itself if it crosses its temp threshold. I HAVE made my pc (not laptop) black out and not start for a few mins with furmark, but not with UniEngine heaven or valley, they are more realistic and you can turn some tidbits off like in a game, AA, AO, shadows etc. Also, what error with Afterburner?

19. Coverdrave

Coverdrave Guest

GPU:
    GT 740M 2GB
    That's the error I get from Afterburned when I start it up:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\MSIAfterburner.exe

The application can not start because its configuration is incorrect. For more details, see the event log on the application or use command-line tools sxstrace.exe.
    EDIT: Also how can I make that little box with green circle that says if I am recording or not in ShadowPlay go away from what I recorded but I see it as I am recording?

Last edited: May 26, 2016