i3 6100 OC safe temp?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by fr33jack, May 20, 2016.

1. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    Hey, guys. Quick question: safe temp for 4.66Ghz/ 1.4v? I've got around 70-73C in games...I'm guessing after 7+ hours of gaming it would be around 80C. What do you think? 80C is too much? :)

PS. 4.44Ghz/ 1.3v = around 60C...and I'm cool with that, but 4.66 looks so nooice :D

Btw, using this f-ker (Cooler Master Hyper 612 ver. 2) ---

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    EDIT:

Last edited: May 22, 2016
  2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I guess I would not mind the temps if they reach 80°C with that cooler. Still quite good for 1.4v :eek:

3. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    80C is kinda scary for me. Never got those temps with any Intel (except server ones). And after 60-62C at 4.44Ghz - BAAM! - 80C! ...I flinched :O

4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Gaming should not be that stressful. If you would run any stress test your CPU would skyrocket if in gaming is reaching those temps.

I'm at mid 60's while gaming and my CPU is overclocked to the bone, using a simple 212 EVO so comparable to yours. On the other hand, Sandy isnt a hot chip.

Hows the airflow in your case?

5. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    Airflow is good: 2x120mm (1000rpm each) in front for cold air intake; 1x120mm (1000rpm) on the back; upper ventilation outlet is open for the residual hot stream and such.

6. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Guest

GPU:
    It isn't dangerous, but obviously lower is generally better.
    The problem should be the HSF, that base is a bad choice for small chips like i3s (and 14nm). Since it is a direct to heatpipe design, the heat doesn't get evenly spread around on small dies. This means you'll effectively only be using the middle 2-3 heatpipes. Airflow in your case wouldn't help too much if the heat transfer is not optimal from the die to the HSF.

As dies get smaller, vapor chambers or better designs that can pull heat away from a very small area is getting more and more important.

7. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    I thought i3's own heat spreader is enough for heat dissipation :O Any suggestion on good but not an expensive much HS for i3? :)

Last edited: May 20, 2016
  8. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    How does that cpu do in gaming btw,I am real curious! Looks like the next budget champ.

9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Skylake i3's are very good. We can safely say it outperforms any FX's chip when it comes to gaming.

10. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    Core i3 6100 4.4GHz/RAM Overclocking Benchmark Analysis (in games)

Awesome. I decided to buy it after this video :) ...i3 6100 4.4GHz + fast ddr4 + gtx 970 is enough for me.

11. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Guest

GPU:
    Heatspreader (very thin metal) isn't a very efficient way to transfer heat.

The best heat transfer would be directly above the die = minimize distance heat travels. Ideally it would be a very large heatpipe, vapor chamber, or even just a giant slab of copper in lieu of the previous methods.

I don't have a small die CPU to test coolers, but generally speaking Noctua and Bequiet makes some nice mid range and upper range coolers that you can't really go wrong with (~$50-90). You can also invest in a 120/240 closed loop cooler like those made by Corsair or NZXT, which offer pretty decent performance at the cost of noise.
    Smaller dies require bigger heatpipes that contact the area directly above the die or a larger exchange medium between the heatspreader -> heatpipe/heatsink. As long as those are met, it'll perform better than the HSF you have now (which was designed for larger, rectangular dies).

Decent AIOs and HSFs generally last... a very long time, so you could very well be using it for your future builds as well. The cost difference between a mediocre one and the higher-end ones are IMO, worth the investment.

BTW, didn't Intel announce they closed the non K overclocking stuff? Or is that something with chipsets only? I'm also interested in an i3 system, but mainly because they do ECC. If they can still be overclocked nicely, that'll be an even bigger bonus.

12. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    @snip3r_3,

skylake's "non-k" ("k" also) can do OC through bclk clock...but only on z170 with "special" bios'es (for "non-k" OC) provided (if any) by vendors...

Mine working at 4.62/4.66Ghz = bclk at 125Mhz (+/- 1Mhz) x 37...tho I'm considering to lower it to 4.44Ghz. I really don't wanna spend extra 100$ for just +200Mhz on my current i3 atm. Till I get myself an i5 or i7 :) ...

13. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Guess mobo you're using is GigaByte GA-Z170M-D3H (not GA-Z170M like it's listed in your specs) with BIOS up to F5 (2015/10/30) where OC on non-K processor is still possible. Later Feb.2016 BIOS updates and newer for most Intel chipset motherboards vendors, in your case F6 (2016/02/24) and F7 (2016/03/03), means there won't be possible to OC CPU's like your i3 because of Intel's new OC politics: "if you want to OC spend more money and buy more expensive K CPU".

Good to know OC via BCLK is still possible on Skylakes like in first gen i3/i5/i7 but it sucks knowing if you want latest BIOS for your 1151 mobo you can say goodbye to OC on your non-K CPU :(

14. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    @CrazY_Milojko, yep...it's "D3H". It's the only one "regular" z170 matx mobo they have. Others are "gaming" series :) And as for the bios...wrong, it's a "f6-c" version...non present in download section for this particular mobo. All which present can't do OC on bclk...as far as I can remember. "f6-c"...got it from here ---

GIGABYTE Z170 Non-K Overclocking Guide

15. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Actually not the case.

Intel provided updated CPU microcodes for them to add to their bioses.. These lock out BCLK overclocking.

All you have to do is mod the latest bios and replace with the CPU microcode that allows non k overclocking.

Pretty simple using UBU (uefi bios updater) tool. Some boards you have to manually replace the microcode inside the bios.

16. CrazY_Milojko

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Nice, guess that F6C BIOS is is somewhat either unofficial leaked non-K OC capable GigaByte's BETA BIOS for that mobo (that explaines why it's not listed on official GigaByte's site, they don't want to have conflict with Intel) or some kind of community modded BIOS with few unlocked/added extras.

Backthen I tried a tons of leaked and community modded BIOS versions for my GigaByte GA-EX58-DS4 rev.1.0 when I had time to experiment with those. Few of those gave me some impressive OC results (with every single one official BIOS from GigaByte that mobo is hitting BCLK wall on 191MHz) paired with lets say i7-920 C0 who could be pushed easily to rock solid 4.2GHz with HT even stressed under Prime95 for days. Now on that mobo I'm also using some community modded BIOS with updated IRTS and what not running Xeon X5670 OC'ed to 4.6GHz HT, tried to push that monster even up to 4.8GHz HT without a problem but temps were a bit above my comfort zone (above 70C) so I just lowered the OC to 4.6GHz and done with it.

Sometimes OC community can do wonders with just a tiny bit tweaked or leaked BIOS's...

17. CrazY_Milojko

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Yeah, I know that. I'm talking about official BIOS's that can be downloaded from motherboards manufacturers sites, as far as I know past two months all freshly released BIOS's are updated with latest Intel microcodes and there's where non-K OC game ends for those who aren't willing to mess around with BIOS modding risking to brick a mobo but still want latest BIOS on their 1151 mobo. Fore those brave/smart enough there is always a workaround that offers latest BIOS + non-K OC possibilities :)

18. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    @CrazY_Milojko, if I recall correctly...those original "special" bios's was originally introduced for reviewers/ marketing purposes. They are all legal and official...but not to "regular" users :) ...you need to spend some time to find the one you need.

19. CrazY_Milojko

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Yep, if you have enough time to burn into searching almost everything can be found on the web, like never released/leaked official and community modded BIOS's.

But like Agent-A01 gave an example for old OC farts like we are nothing can match the feeling when you mod the BIOS by yourself and add/enable something that latest official BIOS can't provide. Still have one (mostly used when there are guest kids comming) backup gaming rig with Vdroop pencil modded Asus P5B Deluxe WiFI/AP running BIOS modded by myself (updated IRTS, Intel Xeon microcodes...) running Xeon E5450 OC'ed to 4GHz something.

edit:
    Did you tried push-pull fan config on that Cooler Master Hyper 612 ver. 2 to lower CPU temps @ 4.66GHz? Guess 1.4V @ 4.66GHz is the main reason why that i3 is running so hot while gaming.

20. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    Nah...I don't have that much time to read stuff. Just old and trusted YouTube channels to which i'm used to :) ...i'm too old. I barely have time to drink alcohol, play some games and complain about how thing was so much better when I was a teenager and such :D

I ditched stock fan...it was too slow with bad air flow. I'm using Scythe GlideStream's for all purposes. Ofc my fans are all good and proper...

@snip3r_3 was right...I need more efficient HS for small chip die...