Apart from all the rumors going on about Polaris/Vega, here is some AMD verified news

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by vase, May 12, 2016.

1. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
  2. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    I hope they are just that, rumors... Polaris release on Q3 would be terrible for AMD and we dont need that as customers...

nVidia as only strong GPU maker would be terrible for everyone...

3. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    ?

release is supposedly on the 27th.

Vega rumor is for the end of quarter 3.

4. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Unless I read reviews for both, I'll keep baking this card. There is a guy in the Frontpage news with a new account that is projecting a ton of bs, and with a new account at that. All the speculation with this whole new generation is driving me:
    [​IMG]

5. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    in this thread:

OP: apart from all the scandals in the food industry did you hear farmer A said he is going to seed apples with dark red color next season? isnt that great? i waited for dark red so long.

Post#2: those bananas from farmer B are such a rip off

Post#3: why dont you just wait for oranges from farmer C next season? i heard they come out

Post#4: i dont trust anyone in the food industry

OP (Post#5)
    - option 1) make fun of the thread to underline its derailment
    - option 2) pretend nothing happened and ask again: "so guys what do you think of the dark red apples of my first post?"

:nerd:

6. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    That tree is far away!

7. Spartan

Spartan Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 PCS+
    Delicious biscuit.

8. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080

There was nothing to say about those stronk news about HDMI 2.0b. Rumors are funny. I was bored. Salty.

Goiur out, peace.

9. Aelders

Aelders Guest

GPU:
    980Ti G1 @ 1490|8000
    [​IMG]

I found this gem on the async compute page from the link in OP

10. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    Oh god, here comes the troll... where is vbetts???:bang:

11. Aelders

Aelders Guest

GPU:
    980Ti G1 @ 1490|8000
    [​IMG]

I'm not a troll, rude boy.

PRMinister knows what this chart means, he knows. Oh lord almighty if I had only found this chart two months ago lol

12. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    You made 3 different accounts one after another just to keep posting your ****. Thats what i call a troll.

13. Aelders

Aelders Guest

GPU:
    980Ti G1 @ 1490|8000
    What ****, I was given infraction for continuing a discussion the mods didn't want me to continue, there was no **** being posted. That said, you're more than welcome to think of me as a troll, that would only reflect badly on you, this particular troll is particularly well-spoken and informed !

Now you're out of the way Goiur, back to my friend PRMinisterGR:

PRMinister, use the graph I posted, see the ratio of performance of FuryX vs 980Ti, Fury vs 980, 390x vs 970.

Then compare compute throughput for each, reference clocks for 980/970 are ~1250 boost, 980Ti is ~1200mhz

The ratios will be very similar, and then you have to account for performance loss due to forcing the async path on maxwell. The performance delta in AotS is due to raw throughput being different, not due to async, exactly what I've been saying since February, only this time AMD's official marketing stuff corroborates this view.

FX/980Ti = 55/43 =1.28
    Fury/980 = 49/35 = 1.4
    390x/970 = 42/30 = 1.4

FX/980Ti = 8600/6758 =1.272
    Fury/980 = 7526/5120 = 1.46
    390x/970 = 5913/4093 = 1.444

Call me a troll all you want, it would only be an insult to yourself to continue to deny what my benchmark data has proven from the very start.

Remember, all these results for maxwell should be roughly 7-11% higher to account for performance hit of async, which is caused by the fences on the compute queue being transferred to the graphics queue.

Last edited: May 12, 2016
  14. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    Yep, sure you are a troll. You keep flooding every post with your stupid ****.

Stay on the front page news threads and dont spread your **** all around.I hope @vbetts kicks your ass out of this forum for good, creating clone accounts just to keep your ****storm up.

15. Aelders

Aelders Guest

GPU:
    980Ti G1 @ 1490|8000
    Why are you derailing this thread with your pitiful ad-hominem attacks? Stay on topic please ;) And I don't appreciate your tone young man, insults and namecalling are not allowed on the guru3d forum

16. malitze

malitze Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury X
    Textbook trolling. Yay.

17. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Yeah, that's exactly right. It actually looks like the game is using all the available hardware in both platforms and that they cards almost give the total of their theoretical output. Unfortunately for AMD users, that's not usually the case. The 1080 won't be that much faster than the Fury X on it, since it's not that faster in Teraflops.

I don't believe he's trolling in this one, just read what he says guys. He's basically showing that the AotS numbers follow the theoretical output of each card. This actually means that the game is not really "biased", as many people believe.

18. Aelders

Aelders Guest

GPU:
    980Ti G1 @ 1490|8000
    Lol, so you're implying the rest of my posts are 'trolling' ... Nice.

It's not just about the game not being biased, it's that async shaders don't project performance over the maxwell cards. This data follows my own benchmark data, and the conclusion is that flop for flop, Maxwell is as efficient as GCN using async compute, at least in AotS.

That said, I do believe the developers are being facetious and it was subversive of them to force async on for NV hw. It shouldn't be on if it's not beneficial; the reason it hampers performance is that at the driver levels the compute queue workload is offloaded to the graphics queue, but the fences remain. It should not be on, and it's deceptive of AMD marketing to use this graph with async on for NV, but not surprising, they all do this.

No, this is not what this data is telling us. The cards could be reaching only 1% of their theoretical throughput, all we know is that utilization is similar for both Maxwell and GCN 1.1+1.2 with async on.

Conversely utilization for GCN is lower than on Maxwell if is async is disabled.

Which ties in nicely to all my rants about async never being as beneficial to Maxwell as it is to GCN

Last edited: May 13, 2016
  19. malitze

malitze Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury X
    Yeah I probably overreacted a little and took the post out of context, mea culpa. I'm still a little annoyed by how these news thread are discussed.

20. Aelders

Aelders Guest

GPU:
    980Ti G1 @ 1490|8000
    No, it's not about overreacting, it's about you strolling into the room, seeing **** being flung at one particular person, and you deciding that you should follow suit. It's an established concept called 'groupthink'. Google it