Windows 10 Free Upgrade will be removed after July 29th

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 6, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    I'm glad i adopted early and have it shaved down and working perfectly.

I'd fully commit to saying this is my fav OS so far and think it's probably even more stable than Win 7 was for me.

Plus i don't feel that Win 10 has even stretched it's legs yet and will improve no end in the coming months/years as we switch over to newer better APIs.

3. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    Completely agreed.

4. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Will they remove all the bullsh*t from my copy of 8.1 that keeps asking me to upgrade at the same time or will it change from telling me it's free to telling me how much I need to pay?

5. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    Dam looks like I don't have a choice but to upgrade now because I ain't paying for this later since it's so terrible.

6. robintson

robintson Guest

GPU:
    Asus_Strix2080Ti_OC
    Anyone wishing to upgrade to Windows 10 while it's for free will need to do it real quick before 29-th of July. I did upgraded from Windows 7 Pro this winter and now I have my Windows 10 Pro TH2 for free, thank you "Microsoft" :)

7. Gaidax

Gaidax Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X
    Hopefully all the hermits and conservatives get a clue and grab it while it's free.

This whole uneducated Win10 bashing from people who never tried it even is tiresome.

8. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    With my desktop I need to purchase a windows 8.1 pro key so I can upgrade to Windows 10 pro.

I used to be one of them hermits but what made me upgrade to Windows 7 to Windows 10 is Sony's remote play app for PS4 and Im glad I did because what ever MS did to its memory management under windows 10 it is a night and day difference than Windows 7.

Last edited: May 7, 2016
  9. Smokey25

Smokey25 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 EVGA FTW+
    And what is the reason to offer it for free at first ( even for pirates.. ) and ask a price later ? Still doesn't make much sense to me.

10. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    I upgraded all my systems to windows 10 for free on day 1 and am 100% happy with windows10.

windows all old to windows 10 is an upgrade

cant believe people are still using windows 7 or 8 when you can get 10 for free

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I have seen Windows 10 Pro priced at 23 Euro on 3rd party sites. Price is not that bad.

While I have 2 devices with Win 10, I do not like it much, I do prefer W7 cleanness. Win 10 is not filled with bloatware, Win 10 is The Bloatware.
    You install Win 10 and CPU sees a lot of utilization compared to clean W7.

I mean, W7 average idle CPU utilization 0.5% vs Win10 having 4%? What so big is Win 10 doing for me in background 24/7? Is it fetching advertisements for start menu? That sure does not guarantee such CPU use. Is it recording my audio/video and sending it somewhere?

I had one of test versions where some 'invisible' process froze and utilized 100% of one core. You could see that utilization in graph page, but it was not displayed, nor counted in Processes/Details pages and those reported that CPU is 98% idle. Not even Task manager should be trusted these days.

And all those design choice, like truly disabling UAC leading to Windows not allowing you to run 1/2 of its applications. (Including that horrid, bad calculator.)
    Disabling UAC and entering safe mode causes something in start menu process to crash and restart Desktop Window Manager.
    Isn't that point of safe mode, to have everything as Administrator? Yet, for it to work properly, you need UAC and restrictions.

12. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I think you can make those app programs run with uac disabled with a registry tweak can't you?

I'm not on 10 so I'm not sure...

You can manually delete that stuff, I just opened task manager and found the process, then found the file location, and deleted them.... forcefully xD

13. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Im still on Win 7, and will be for the next year still at least.

14. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Have you at least registered your machines ID for the free upgrade?

15. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Hmm i cant confirm such behaviour for windows 10 on my 2 machines.
    i have since the launch windows 10. on both of my machines 2600k and 930 they use 1% , process lasso confirms the taskmanager values are correct on my end.
    Things its doing in the background on your end is probably maintenance when your computer is idle.

16. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    The reason why I am still using Windows 8 on my Desktop is because I want to purchase a windows 8.1 pro key so I can upgrade to Windows 10 pro.

17. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
    They keep coming back via updates - have done it several times.

18. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    Which is probably the same reason most people wont upgrade....because theyre using illegal copies....shame on you people:whip:

19. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Mine is not an illegal copy I purchased Windows 8 when I purchased parts for my Desktop.

20. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Then you don't need an 8.1 key, you have a valid license for the free upgrade already

Clean install with your 8 key will work, or upgrade, either will work