Samsung sees no future for OLED TVs

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 4, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Ah bummer, I was kinda hoping on a Samsung OLED UHD TV myself. Samsung sees no future for OLED TVs, according to Kim Hyun-suk who leads the display division of Samsung Electronics there have been t...

Samsung sees no future for OLED TVs

2. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Makes sense to me. There isn't much difference between the LG OLED and Samsung 9 (2016) series. LG has slightly better contrast, viewing angles, and uniformity but significantly worse motion blur and price. And in 5 years, when the blue pixels start losing luminosity and the white point shifts, the LG will have terrible color reproduction.

Until someone proves that the pixel shift/burn in problems are solved, I won't be buying an OLED for a TV/Monitor. Phone is a different story, I replace those every like year anyway.

3. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    So OLED is like 15 years away from being perfect? :(

I had hoped for an OLED Monitor in about 3-4 years from now. But i guess we will be with Grey Blacks for a little longer.

4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Well it depends on when LG/Samsung/Sony fix the problems with it. For all I know LG can solve it tomorrow.

On smaller screens it should be easier to avoid manufacturing problems, in terms of consistency of the panels. But things like color shifting/burn-in are still not yet solved. Just go to any mobile phone store and look at display units for Samsung S7's. Phone is less than a few months old and most of the display models I've seen already have burn-in.

Granted there are technologies that prevent this. But I'd be pretty annoyed if I had bought a 27" OLED Monitor for $1500+ only to find the task bar burn in after a year or so.

5. vazup

vazup Guest

GPU:
    r9 280X
    Wait you are buying a new phone every year and it is a big no no to replace a tv/monitor every 5 years?

6. FeDaYin

FeDaYin Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 780 ref.
    OLED has so many problems on LG models, on all of them, from 2013 to 2016, they didn't fixed anything in these years. They just added new features, nothing else.
    That massive contrast drops to a 300$ LCD on every scene, it does not have same contrast on the whole movie.
    Massive tearing
    Bad motion, it's like the worst LCD that was made 15 years ago, but it doesn't have blur
    I got more details in the shadows using IPS. It sounds weird but it is the truth.
    OLED is not worth buying now.

7. peitro

peitro Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870 m
    the LG oled work different from traditional oled (Samsung), LG use only white oled for retro illumination ,RGB are traditional pixel.

8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I buy a new phone every year because the increase in processing speed/technology allows me to justify spending $500 each year. TV's don't generally improve to the same level, not even every 5 years. And honestly I think phones are starting to hit a point where it's becoming "good enough" as well. There was a major performance leap going from my Droid 3 to my S4 and from my S4 to my N5. Much less then going from my OPO to my N6P.

I have a Sony XBR 55" that I bought back in 2008, that after calibration, looks nearly identical to my 48" Samsung 8500 that I bought last year. The only difference is the Samsung has 4K, which is nice obviously if looking at the content and the reason why I bought it, other then that it's essentially the same image.

You have a source for this? It was my understanding that LG uses a stacked OLED matrix and included a white OLED for brightness. The arrangement is different, but it still uses OLED pixels for W/R/G/B. It's still prone to color shifting as the pixels lose luminosity. I could be wrong though -- I'm definitely more familiar with Samsung's tech in phones then LG's in TVs.

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  9. Halfmead

Halfmead Guest

GPU:
    GigaByte 2070 Super
    The burn in problems are a definite no no for me, never wanna go back to that lol

10. ivymike10mt

ivymike10mt Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    Samsung QD is far from perfect aswell. They change technology severall times.
    Mby thats why Samsung QD matrix have returns more often than the other brands - coz mny issues like DSE etc..

Panasonic said, that they not go into QD coz they are significantly less durable - what is interesting itself.
    (i'm interesting to see solid durability test QD's).

From the other hand, Samsung does not have White OLED patent.
    Previous generation RGB OLED's will be much less durable, and worse picture quality, than any WOLED.
    So its obvious why they not "jump" on OLED's TV's :D

I will wait for real marathon tests for WOLED's ;)
    As far its confirmed that WOLED lose collor acurracy on the white point, and burns happen on static pictures, in less than 5000h.
    Some other smaller sins like motion blur, I can forgive.

11. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    Quantum Dot tech sounds really very interesting and with great possible improvements in future variations on the way the base tech works in later years.

Shame to hear about durability issues with current versions, but I guess the tech is still young.

I would have thought that due to the way the inorganic nano particles work there is a decent scope for finding other materials that will prove much more durable.

Still either way I feel it is only a matter of time until a really Good technology comes to the fore.

(assuming ofc they are not all trying to build in a shelf life of sorts)

12. trentbg

trentbg Guest

GPU:
    nVidia
    Thank God I grabbed one of the last Plasma TVs that were on the marker less than 2 years a go, hopefully it will last till the OLED gets perfected.

13. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Damn, I guess this means my next monitor will still be an LCD...

14. ttnuagmada

ttnuagmada Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 Strix
    This is a joke. This years samsungs are barely improved over last years sets, and only in the brightness area. This comment makes me think you've never even witnessed an OLED, or have absolutely no clue what you were even looking at. OLED burn-in has never been a serious issue and is no worse than CRT's, and will not be an issue once blue pixel life-spans are improved. LG's motion problems are a product of their image processing hardware, and not a problem with OLED technology.

LCD's have still not even caught up with plasma's from 10 years ago.

15. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    You can try reading the rest of the comment, where I explain what I mean.

Yes the image quality of a stationary picture is better on OLED. Obviously contrast is higher -- colors pop more, but that's mostly because they are over-saturated. Calibrate both a Samsung/LG OLED with Spyder/Colorimeter of your choice and AgryllCMS and the colors are very similar.

Watch a football game on it though -- the image ghosts. I haven't seen the 2016 LG OLEDs, but the 2015 was terrible (I was going to buy one). Peak brightness is better on the Samsung and makes it more suitable for brighter rooms. Dark gray has Mura issues on the OLEDs as well. Grayscale uniformity is still a hit or miss on the edges (Samsung has this problem too with some sets) and ABL constantly changes the brightness when watching stuff based on the content in order to avoid burn-in. And yet there are still users reporting burn-in. So it's not a solved issue.

Like yeah, OLED TV's are pretty good -- but they aren't $1500 better than Samsung equivalents. Couple that with the higher manufacturing cost and Samsung's inability to get the WOLED patent -- it makes sense to me for Samsung to stick with what it's doing.

Neither has OLED, but Samsung doesn't currently make Plasma's afaik and the article didn't mention Plasma so I didn't bring it up. Just because I don't mention it doesn't mean I'm not aware of it.

16. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    i havent checking LG OLED TV... but i am sure samsung TVs prices is higher than LG at least in my area

now samsung said producing oled with latest tech is more expensive true
    if they sell it, it will be even more expensive that current lineup
    which means more less consumer bought it too...

for a mass production, no matter if it more expensive to produce, as long consumer keep buying it, they will produce it... so to me its more about price&consumer demand than other else

and about oled is durability... how much it more durable than other display tech.
    from what i read oled blue pixel lifespan is shorter

for smartphone most people change every like 2-3years... even maker giving free upgrade/exchange nowdays... so its no problem for user
    but for TV... i believe most people want their TV last at least 5years of standard daily usage even more

17. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    just get a UHD screen with local dimming.
    another reason why im getting the M43C1, and in game mode input lag is acceptable.

18. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    OLED is ideal for small-scale and/or flexible devices. I agree with Samsung that, considering the costs and downsides, there's no compelling reason to make an OLED TV.

Makes me wonder though - why not try merging OLED with LCD? The primary advantages of OLED are physical durability, flexibility, contrast ratio, power efficiency, and depth. But if they created a "black and white" OLED screen and put a color LCD on top, all you'd lose is the physical durability and flexibility. By merging the 2 technologies, you'd still get something very power efficient and thin and you'd get the advantage of amazing contrast values along with a very responsive display. The OLED display would basically act like a dynamic backlight. The human eye kind of works like this but in reverse.

19. NiscoRacing

NiscoRacing Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 4GB (WC)
    I just wanted to share this video whit you guys.

LG's 1mm OLED Wallpaper TV

LG is making great progress whit there OLED, and yes i am waiting for that first PC monitor that has OLED. You guys don't scare me away whit your silly in-burn stories. I never seen people really have those problems on any forums. So stop telling people old stories and come up whit real stuff.

20. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    That's total b... And you know it.
    Before I got SGS6e, I checked friend's S4 and where was no burn-in at all.
    Only possibility is that static image leaves its ghost for few seconds, if it was displayed for hours. But not even that did ever happen to me or people I know who have OLED variations.

Blue degrades, on phone it is not that big problem. Because one does not use it intensively for several years. But it sure is problem for monitors/TVs. As owners expect them to last 5~10 years.