MS upgrades W7 to W10 without permission?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by jeffmorris, May 3, 2016.

1. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760
    At the program for mentally handicapped people, the IT guy didn't want to upgrade some computers from Windows 7 to Windows 10 because he thought that Windows 10 was causing problems with some computers and the network. I found out that Microsoft was upgrading one of the computers from Windows 7 to Windows 10 without asking for permission. Any suggestions?

2. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
  3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
  4. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

The people who block Windows 10 upgrade will probably be the same people who will complain about not being able to get Windows 10 once the free upgrade period has expired :).

5. mmicrosysm2

mmicrosysm2 Guest

GPU:
    8 MB SDRAM
    I've had several computers come into my shop after the Windows 10 upgrade due instability and crashing. So yes they don't want that POS!

Personally I've gone Linux thanks to Windows 10

To OP GWX Control Panel helps stop the Windows 10 upgrade

6. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Windows 10's setup locked up the hard drive on my parents' laptop and wouldn't boot until I restored windows 7. 10 is staying blocked there. "Free" won't change anything.

7. Margolis

Margolis Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti 6GB
    Microsoft doesn't force the upgrade. If a computer got upgraded, somebody clicked on the upgrade button.

8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
  9. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well not entirely true these days. If you have automatic upgrades without asking enabled (standard?), it installs windows 10 without further notice, until you turn it on again I think.

I built an HTPC for a friend of mine, win 8.1 64bit. He installs windows 10 via the free upgrade (yeah one of those 'it's free and everybody not installing it is stupid haha yolo!' guys), and two weeks later the system won't boot again. So out of four rigs I know that have been upgraded from 7 or 8.1 to 10, one was broken afterwards.

Everbody should take their own chances I'd say.

10. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Originally upgrading from 8.1 to 10 went fine, but I tried it again with the latest ISO a few weeks back, and within 10 minutes I had to wipe and clean install 10

Windows upgrades have never been good, 10 was an improvement, which seems to have been broken again

11. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    True, although I never experienced windows updates effecting me negatively until lately. Then it started to mess with graphical artifacts in game etc.

12. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Mine did something strange to the Windows theme, nothing was modded before the upgrade, but it turned all the Windows borders pink and made the minimise, maximise and close buttons huge, as if I'd tried installing a custom theme without patching

13. mmicrosysm2

mmicrosysm2 Guest

GPU:
    8 MB SDRAM
    I had 3 clients come in this past month stating they never wanted nor clicked on anything and their system upgraded to Windows 10. The one client was in the middle of something when it did the upgrade. She was quite upset as she thought she lost what she was working on. After I reverted it back to Win7 here application she was running returned with all data intact.

So yes Microsoft is now gone to new levels of fail pushing this on people that do not want it!

FYI: Doctors offices use Windows 7 or 8 and their Medent software does not fully support Windows 10, so a forced upgrade will screw many Doctors offices. Smell that? I smell a class action a burning.

14. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

They wouldn't win, the answer would be that Medent should keep their software updated at the bare minimum for security and reliability reasons. I can't see any reason why a database program like Medent shouldn't support Windows 10 as well as 8.1 and even 7 unless there is some bad programming going on. There's also compatibility mode to consider. It comes back to something I mentioned a while ago. ABSOLUTELY NO other company in the world supports such a big piece of software for such a wide number of system configurations as Microsoft. When you then consider that people start using hardware which wasn't around when Windows 7 came out, which means patching in support for it, as well as the wide number of programs, all on an OS that they are making no money on any more, they still don't do too badly. Many software companies have gone to a continuous update cycle, Microsoft is just late to the game. Those that don't have a continuous update cycle, pretty much once the new version is out it's a 'stuff you' to people using the older version.

15. Margolis

Margolis Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti 6GB
    No, just because you hate microsoft and supposedly have clients that "say" they didn't click anything does not make it true..

16. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    All I have done at home on all the PCs was from what another forum member mentioned.

Registry edit under HK_Local_Machine>Software>Policies>Microsoft>Windows. Adding a new key GWX with a dword "DisableGWX" with a data value of 1. No gpedit or anything else. All that was needed.

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I've gone to Linux on 1 laptop solely because it's completely unstable running any version of Windows. With Windows installed, it crashes after approx 30 minutes use. It's now been running Ubuntu 16.04LTS since release and has been completely stable.

For the Linux crowd....Ubuntu 16.04 LTS is probably the best release to date. I've never seen Linux run so fast or smoothly. On an old Pentium P6200, it's been "point, click, done" with no waiting. Even the install only took a few minutes.

18. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
  19. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    ^^Have stated before, clicking on that "Start download, upgrade later" button actually starts the installation. Said it was very sneaky of MS to have 10 install no matter which button was clicked on. So if this is what is meant by so many saying 10 was installing without permission, all that can be said is ALT-F4 out of it next time that window appears.

20. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews/pc-mac/software/operating-systems/windows-10-1267364/review

Appears that the only way to avoid this is by disabling GWX.