Valve Launches new anti-cheat policy

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 3, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    What stupid idea is this? And if I don't bind my phone number to my account? :rolleyes:

3. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    They usually care about their inventories and without a phone number linked, there are trade delays. Should help a bit.

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    When I was young, gaming on an AtariST, Amiga 600, PS1 etc, I never imagined the day when a company would want your phone number to play a game

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    So, now, I actually can ban someone by having very short term access to their cell phone?

All I need is to prepare new account, Ask person for phone for few minutes and link that new account to their phone. Game over buddy.

In many cases, just having view on display is enough as sms comes and is often displayed on screen.

People should protect their cellphone number more and more. I do not even have it on FB, to be visible for friends.

6. malitze

malitze Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury X
    Then you will not be able to play with those who do.

7. gUNN1993

gUNN1993 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 670 Windforce 3
    ^^ seems like a lot of hassle to go through to ban a friend's steam account.

8. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    You mean like 5 minutes to ban competitor in competition just by having laptop and binoculars/good camera and him having cellphone screen visible?

9. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    So basically phone numbers that have already been linked to steam accounts that have been banned for cheating or nefarious acts on steam, will also be banned from being used to make new account or used on other accounts.

I am fine with this, you cheat you pay the price....although i assume the cheaters will just go out and buy a new disposable cheap mobile and continue to cheat online, but at least it makes it more inconvenient than simply making a new account to start cheating again.

10. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    These days we get anal probed just to play a game. People don't seem to mind though so I guess all is well. :3eyes:

11. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I bought some game from GamesRocket, and in order to send me the key

they asked me to send them photo of my driver license, my passport, and the signed statement confirming my identity LOL

12. gUNN1993

gUNN1993 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 670 Windforce 3

So you have to find this person, follow them round with a pair of binoculars, ascertain their number (probably not hard if you're dedicated enough), then be in the exact right position when they receive the conformation code (I'm assuming this works like any other 2 step verification) to activate the account link.

Then you'd have to get banned, I have no idea how long that takes but aren't most trades banned for the first 24hours on any new account anyway?

Sure this is all possible, but it relies so heavily on luck that it's a plan that would only work in a movie.

Also what i'm hearing you say is that phones with a TN panel would be the best security measure, cos then they'd have top be directly behind you to see anything.

13. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well they will just hurry to trade away anything of value until their prepaid card is banned...

Well that's not written there, or I missed it, but that would be a valid point. Only that to have a little bit of freedom (until that cheater has a new prepaid card) is paid by forever giving steam a way to ban ME? Still a lacking trade... cheaters lose nothing, you lose your privacy. Don't see that being a good trade.

Well I don't necessarily think people will spy on competition, but you're absolutely right, all you need is a new account, a phone not sim locked, and a couple of prepaid cards. Super great anti cheat model is conquered, just people that try to play nicely and make their game enjoyable (usually not the cheaters) have to give up their phone number (because they usually are not bad people they don't think about getting a prepaid just to play CSGO).

Sorry, this news is bs, and I am happy I don't play a game like CSGO where there's apparantly so many cheaters they have to take extra measures against them (to me that would be a sign to pass on that game anyway).

14. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    ^^^ This. Last night my older son who plays GC:GO a lot with his clanmates had explained to me about new Valve's anti-cheat plolicy, he told me exactly the same as XP-200. Now if someone is really desperate to use cheats in CS:CO besides buying new CS:GO key and opening new Steam account he also needs to by a new mobile SIM card. Although this is not a perfect solution to get rid of cheaters every effort to make them harder to use cheats is welcome.

Amount of cheaters in CS:GO these days is just unbelievable. Although I don't play CG:GO (and never will) both of my sons are playing it, older son is telling me that he and his clanmates stumble at least on two to three, sometimes even more cheaters per hour.

15. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^Yeap, not the perfect solution but anything that makes it more difficult for the cheats to play games will always be a welcome bonus.

The recent purge of TF2 cheating has been amazing and shows it does work, now you can actually go in and get some good games without getting killed as you pop your head out of the spawn because of cheaters.

16. malitze

malitze Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury X
    Yeah it is missing but to me that's the integral part of the plan. If you provide a phone number you can sign up for "prime matchmaking" where you can only be matched against other prime guys or something like that.

17. A7ibaba

A7ibaba Member

GPU:
    ASUS ROG Matrix R9 290X
    From my perspective atm everyone got win/win situation. Cheaters must buy new games on regular basis and valve sells them new games. The more they ban them,the more they buy.Why broke something that works flawlessly .In this case it's economy.

18. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    Not really, there are services that will give you phone numbers for free or very cheap. Google voice comes to mind.

19. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    Sim cards are free, so it's easy to have more than one number.
    Also wonder if this is why Valve is refusing to delete my number and replace it with the new one.

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  20. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    The cheapest sim card I can grab by the dozen costs me € 1,99 here. Just sayin.