Just curious do you guys always run SFC /scannow after installing new/old driver?.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by gamer1291, May 2, 2016.

1. gamer1291

gamer1291 Master Guru

GPU:
    ROG STRIX-GTX-1070-O8G
    Like the title says.

http://imgur.com/NhdSaog

I have seen every time, I install new nvidia driver like I did today with 365.10 driver.

After installing the driver when I do sfc /scannow it always finds corrupted system files and fixes it.

Does nvidia know about this bug?.

Does it affect our system?.

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I don't, but Windows 10 has corrupt files after a clean install a lot of times and has to be fixed with DISM before sfc /scannow works

Repaired my install with DISM and SFC the other day, checking sfc again now since I installed new drivers

3. snight01

snight01 Master Guru

GPU:
    GB RTX 4090gamingOC
    I made a topic about this way back. We found the root cause of the issue. It doesn't do it with the older revision of Windows 10 but only the newer one that's 1511.

There's also a nasty bug left in there as well as I uncovered more. It makes the graphics driver randomly fail which is mostly seen in dark souls 3. Even on the 900 series. ( don't worry guys, it can be fixed with ddu)

I was supposed to go through it all in upcoming thread. But some asshats on this forum made me quit posting Windows 10 bug solutions/optimizations and gaming opitimizaions stuff here altogether.

4. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    That happens after the AMD driver installs too. It's a file that has to do with OpenGL or something (I might be wrong), that the driver replaces.

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yep, sfc found corrupt files and couldn't fix them, so I`ll have to mount the ISO and DISM again... ffs

6. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    Look at all this wasted time being discussed here. Pitiful.

7. Super1

Super1 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia
    I always run sfc /scannow after windows update
    and it always find corrupted files
    next time I'll do it when I install nvidia driver :)

8. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    I could be completely wrong but remember reading that this could simply be due to new driver (any proprietary driver) replacing Windows default driver files.
    The scan compares the installed files to the original installation content and as such reports corruption.

9. Super1

Super1 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia
    so if you were right then we shouldn't run sfc /scannow after installing new driver or it doesn't matter

10. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    Don't scan, and it doesn't really matter. Doing the scan and correcting the errors potentially screws up the current Nvidia driver install and will probably create more problems for the user. SFC scanning should only be done to fix multiple/critical OS install errors, and after its ran, it is a good idea to reinstall important drivers.

11. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I wouldn't use SFC unless you suspect missing or actually corrupted files from a malicious source. Windows updates and video drivers can update and replace files that SFC will say is corrupt. This does not mean it is actually corrupt, it just means it's a different size, date, hash, ect.
    So, best case scenario, you are replacing files that are exactly the same but differ in superfluous meta data like dates.
    Or worst case scenario, you could very well be reverting to older, less optimized/unsafe system files. This is sufferable if your system was torn up by something like a virus, though.

12. Super1

Super1 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Thank you NeoandGeo and Cyberdyne :)

13. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    I have only run SFC about 6 times in the last 17 years and it has never found anything wrong. I ran it when I couldn't get the threshold update and even then it didn't find anything. The last time I ran it was about 30 days ago on this Win 10 system and again, nothing wrong. To me, it's a waste of time to do.

14. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    You may be removing the new updated files and restoring the old insecure ones.

15. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    I agree completely.

16. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    So pretty much what I thought, thanks for confirming / further explanation.

17. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    I never understood this why were you running sfc like what prompted it?Did you have a problem that you felt needed that solution or are you just running it after you read someone found "corrupt"files after a driver install and checked to see if you had it too?To me this is a solution in search of a problem.Just like event viewer always contains errors of which 99% of them don't affect the daily operation of your system and can be ignored.

18. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Never run sfc /scannow unless you got major issues with corrupted/missing files.

Microsoft really needs to sort their driver crap out... first they added forced driver search via Windows Update and as a naturally side effect of that sfc thinks that new files replacing those provided by MS equals corrupt files.
    So you most probably break a new driver installation by letting sfc restore some of those corrupt files that aren't corrupt.

19. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea it's a good point about it replacing files with older versions, luckily mine wouldn't fix the files, and online DISM fails, as does mounting the ISO, probably due to the build number being higher than that of the ISO

Windows is running fine anyway, leave it be

20. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    unless there is something wrong with OS like say Startbar no longer open, or somthing othe sort I would not be running SFC or DISM