980ti Worth buying right now?.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by CronosX9x9X, May 2, 2016.

1. CronosX9x9X

CronosX9x9X Guest

GPU:
    MSI1070 Gaming X
    I have seen a 980ti msi golden edition for 560$ free shipping.

I currently have a 780 and while I do still get very playable fps from the new games I was hoping to upgrade to 1440p in a year or so with a dual monitor setup.

Question is would this card be a good deal right now seeing as it's a card with a backplate and is stocked oc and has a copper cooler and from a good company in MSI?.:whip:

Also I am aware of pascal and polaris showing this month and I was just seeing if this would be a good deal anyways or should I just wait and see if the 980ti prices go down, I want a custom cooler version of the new cards and they take alil bit to come out and in plus both card series will be super expensive at launch.

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    The question is, will the price be on the rise again? Most likely not. I personally wouldn't get one right now, as in a few weeks from now, you'd get your 980Ti cheaper I guess, or, something better for 560$.

But that's just me :)

3. Xuanzang

Xuanzang Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 7900 XTX
    If it was me, i would definitely wait now that Pascal is right around the corner. So unless you are in a hurry, i'd wait.

4. CronosX9x9X

CronosX9x9X Guest

GPU:
    MSI1070 Gaming X
    That's why I asked : ). I definitely would like a deal and this seemed like a great deal for a 980ti. I'm probably was gonna get the x70/x80 if they came out anyways but will I have to wait longer and I don't think I'm gonna switch to the red team.

5. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Wait, nvidia support for previous generation once new is out, is pretty poor, look at Kepler, though that can depend on the game.

Polaris will probably will have the best performance per $, while nvidia will have the best performing GPU, that all guessing wait till after all new gen is out.

6. CronosX9x9X

CronosX9x9X Guest

GPU:
    MSI1070 Gaming X
    So do you think 560$ is too much to pay for that 980ti right now?.

7. evilkiller650

evilkiller650 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 980ti AMP! Extreme
    I just got my 980ti about 3 days ago.
    It runs EVERYTHING I want at 4k at acceptable FPS and performance (smooth, stutter free, etc).
    I came into some money, that will never happen again, and I just decided to bite the bullet and buy a 980ti + a 4k monitor.

Sure, Pascal and Polaris will give you more bang for your buck but no one knows for sure just how much better they be will than the current generation, also taking into consideration just how most 980tis can overclock and gain significant FPS.

At the end of the day, I am impatient and did not want to wait. Maybe I will REALLY regret it come several months :)
    It is up to you.

8. CronosX9x9X

CronosX9x9X Guest

GPU:
    MSI1070 Gaming X
    Haha I'm kinda Impatient as well but my 780 is still playing everything I want at 1080p at reasonable fps. I just don't know when the new cards will drop and what if they dont' get the custom cooler cards til like 5 months down the line?.

I don't know If the price will go down at all or even if the x70 card will be 399$. They are already running out of the card and I got to make a decision. Hopefully You guys can give me some good advice and help my situation.

9. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Hold your money for just a little while longer. When Pascal is out, 980Ti:s price will plummet. It's still a very good card so if you're on a tighter budget it might be worth it.

I'm very interested in hearing what you think is acceptable FPS :)

10. evilkiller650

GPU:
    Zotac 980ti AMP! Extreme
    A smooth, consistent playable FPS. (no drops from say, 60FPS to 30FPS)
    In the most intense games I am currently playing (probably DS3, X-COM 2 and Ryse), 40FPS to 50~FPS.
    Games I play currently:

Dark Souls 3
    Shadow of Mordor
    Ryse
    X-COM 2
    MGSV GZ
    The Culling
    Alien Isolation

I always disable useless effects like motion blur and depth of field, though. Ever since Crysis and the FPS impact it had back in those days, and the little visual difference it had, I always have those off.

11. CronosX9x9X

CronosX9x9X Guest

GPU:
    MSI1070 Gaming X
    Your only getting 40-50fps in DS3? Is that in 4k?

12. Xuanzang

Xuanzang Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 7900 XTX
    I'm pretty sure that's at 4K. Which is pretty good for a single 980Ti at that resolution tbh.

13. evilkiller650

GPU:
    Zotac 980ti AMP! Extreme
    Yes :)

14. CronosX9x9X

CronosX9x9X Guest

GPU:
    MSI1070 Gaming X
    Damn Well then that's really good, Just was reading more posts stating that polaris will be getting 980ti performance for 299$ with some of their cards which would make me switch because that's freakin awesome.

15. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    U better wait, one month to go :D your 780 should be good till that.

16. CronosX9x9X

CronosX9x9X Guest

GPU:
    MSI1070 Gaming X
    Yeah it should be lol It's too bad though I thought it was a nice deal.

17. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I always thought Ryse to be a very demanding game although I've never played it with a 980Ti, only 970SLI which is almost the same thing. Think I got 100ish fps at 1440p and 4K would most definitely halve that FPS so yea, sounds about right I suppose.

Personally i'm waiting for 4K/120Hz monitors and afaik that will take some time before we see them as there are no video cables to support such required bandwidth. Once you go 144Hz, it's hard to look back at 60Hz :)

Don't forget that DS3 isn't very demanding so most cards should have a pretty easy time running it with good results.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  18. CronosX9x9X

CronosX9x9X Guest

GPU:
    MSI1070 Gaming X
    yeah I just looked at the fps and my card is the last on 1080p ti get 60fps lol. Thought the game would be more demanding with how beautiful it is.

19. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    So, we're 2nd of May, next-gen Gpu won't be there before July, Mid-end july if you're looking for custom GPU. That's almost 3months, aka 25% of a year? :D

From what we know so far the 1080 should be somewhere close to the 980-Ti.

If you can grab a 980-Ti that can overclock a bit for a decent price, i would say, go ahead.
    Overclocked 980-Ti are just killing anything on the market today (and in directx12 benchmark drama, if you compare oc-ed 980-Ti to Fury-X , they score the same on Ashes of singularity for instance, the famous asynch. compute benchmark everyone is speaking of).

I do owe a 980-Ti so i might be biased? But just on technical point, 1080 die is half the size for roughly the same amout of transistors and 8Go Ram instead of 6Go for Ti, which is overkill unless in some game at 4K:
    980-Ti is relevant.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  20. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    propagating common misconceptions, as usual

probably not worth buying new though, even if x80 costs 600$ that's as much as a980ti now, for 20% (at least) improvement over stock