Windows 10 - Problem with crossfire on notebook

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by rmerc, May 2, 2016.

1. rmerc

rmerc Guest

GPU:
    R7 M270DX
    Hello

I have an ASUS X550ZE notebook with FX-7600P (R7 Graphics) and R5 M230 dGPU (aka R7 M270DX linked).

I did clean install of Windows 10 x64 and later installed radeon software 16.4.2.
    Installation completed without errors, I have set dual graphics to enabled and set global and per application profiles to high performance (insurgency, fallout4).

However, it seems that dual graphics is not working at all. The performance seems to be too low and GPU-Z shows R5 M230 idling (0MHz). I enabled crossfire logo in radeon settings and it doesn't show in any game.

Device manager shows R7 Graphics and R5 M230, no errors.

I tried uninstalling 16.4.2 (which ends with system crash and a reboot and makes it impossible to install 16.4.2 ever again - error installing display drivers - same scenario on two fresh installs), used DDU to clean leftovers and installed 16.3.2 - set all settings and profiles - same thing, dGPU idling, 0MHz.

I uninstalled 16.3.2 + used DDU and installed drivers from ASUS website. They have a difference in that the R5 M230 shows as R7 M270DX in device manager. However, they have another issue - CCC doesn't open at all "There are currently no settings that can be configured using catalyst control center", tried updating to Radeon Software without updating display driver but similar thing happens - "No AMD Graphics Driver Installed".

Device manager shows both cards without errors.

I've been fighting with it for 2 days without any positive results :bang:, I'll be glad if anyone can help me sort it out.

Thank you

2. Berdugoo

Berdugoo Guest

GPU:
    INTEL 4000 w/ AMD 8750M
    did you download AMD update for mobile not for desktop in AMD website?

3. rmerc

rmerc Guest

GPU:
    R7 M270DX
    Current 16.3.2 and 16.4.2 claim to support both ranges.

I even tried legacy 15.7.1 .

Did another fresh install and managed to install drivers from ASUS website successfully - and dual graphics didn't seem to work either.

I started to think that the gpu doesn't work at all or the sensors are broken and disabled ULPS to check and after reboot gpu started showing data from sensors but stayed idle at 300MHz (I believe).

4. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    what game or software are you using to confirm its working? does 3dmark use it?

5. rmerc

rmerc Guest

GPU:
    R7 M270DX
    I haven't tried 3dmark. Tried running Insurgency and Men of War Assault Squad 2 last runs.

I did another fresh reinstall, went with ASUS drivers, then 15.7.1 and at some point I noticed that my dGPU is running when playing Men of War AS2 (performance wise - no real benefits) with exec set to high performance (it didn't work earlier). I updated to 16.3.2 from there and apparently "high performance" settings from mini-catalyst part of radeon software doesn't matter as dGPU was being idle again. I then went into games section of radeon software and set crossfire to 1x1 for Men of War AS2 and both gpus are running and there is performance benefit. It doesn't work in any way for Insurgency tho.

Aside from Insurgency not using dGPU/crossfire, can anyone confirm if this is the way it's supposed to work in this combo (7600P R7+R5M230)?

I had older notebook with some A6 in it and 7670M and I remember that when using the "high performance" for given application it seemed to push graphics to dGPU rather than trying to crossfire (I confess I never really checked if it's crossfire or just switching between GPUs - I only conclude it from fact that I never really had problems with this feature and Insurgency was working with it well which isn't the case here).

6. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    i think the part your not understanding is support amd dual graphics is easier said than done. Their are a few applications that support almost everything like 3dmark does with CF. Hell even CF support is hard to come by these days. AMD cant just snap their fingers and add dual graphics support to any game -Its just not that easy, neither is CF.
    When the game is not supported for dual graphics performance will actually drop trying to use both. Your machine maybe working perfect as is.....a lot depends on the game devs and wether amd had any luck with the driver.

7. rmerc

rmerc Guest

GPU:
    R7 M270DX
    I totally understand that dual graphics is not always compatible with application, I've been using dual GPU options from AMD (and previously nvidia) for years. As I was saying - extra GPU wasn't working in any scenario at first and that's why this thread started. Working for too many hours per day I forgot and just reminded myself that during some night I actually upgraded BIOS in this notebook, perhaps this is when dGPU started working or just coincidence. At least the main problem seems solved by now.

At most I am at this point just surprised how it seems to operate differently to other AMD-based notebook
    that I have in other place. In the other notebook giving an exe "High performance" profile seemed to work almost always, here it seems to not go that easy unless there is pre-made Crossfire profile.

Thief as an example got high performance and dual graphics enabled on it's own while Men of War Assault Squad 2 wouldn't bother with "high performance" unless I forced it into 1x1 Crossfire mode.

As far as I remember (will re-check when I have opportunity) Insurgency benefited from "High performance" on the older notebook, here it just doesn't work (On 1x1 dual graphics don't work and on AFR there is flickering everywhere). At the same time, Insurgency had so many updates plus there is driver difference that it might be just expected behavior.

Either way, thank you for your time and trying to help :)

On a side note - anyone interested in some FPS comparison with and without crossfire on this notebook?