How do I get rid of Razer's Spyware BS?

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by Neo Cyrus, May 2, 2016.

1. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I haven't had Razer Synapse installed in an eternity, because it in fact has been found to make tracking LESS accurate with a stupid smoothing algorithm it uses.

Just now I got a popup telling me to install Razer Synapse out of nowhere, after my keyboard was disabled for a moment as it no doubt did a hardware check. **** off Razer, you overrated pile of crap.

I explicitly deleted everything Razer related after uninstalling, and there it is, a folder named Razer with some garbage in it called RzWizard.exe running itself without permission telling me to install Synapse. So I'm assuming after I delete this garbage it's going to download itself again. Yet neither MalwareBytes nor Spybot classify whatever the **** is redownloading Razer Wizard as spyware.

Edit: Their BS apparently has been running itself at startup, without being listed in the startup list. Do these dumb mother****ers think they're winning customers over with invasive pop-ups or even self-installing/running crap in general?

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Did you check in task scheduler if there is anything Razer or in system services?

3. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    There was nothing listed, yet it somehow installed this Razer Wizard crap. I deleted the entire Razer folder again, after ending the processes it was running. But I need to find out what put it there to begin with, because as I said I had previously wiped all traces of anything Razer related.

I wouldn't be overly surprised if it's coded in the mouse's damn firmware to download their garbage if it doesn't detect Synapse. I don't need to tell you I'm ****ing ENRAGED getting a popup in the year 2016 while in the middle of work, after having my keyboard disabled momentarily.

4. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Hm even in programdata folder?

Could be win10 auto driver installer,
    This here prevents auto search
    [​IMG]

5. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I thought I did, and there wasn't anything that looked like it could be culprit in there anyway, mostly just logs. As for that Win 10 policy, it's set as 'Not Configured', so I doubt that had anything to do with it.

Why would it pop up now, after what must have been months?

6. seaplane pilot

seaplane pilot Guest

GPU:
    2080Ti Strix
    I stoped buying their products after they went with this garbage software.

7. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    It might not be what you want to hear, but you could always just let it run and set it to offline mode. I can testify that when in offline mode it does not popup updates for the software or the firmware or anything.
    Granted I'm not as salty about it. I got my blackwidow ultimate for free and I need some macros. So I understand your frustration. As crappy as it is, if it boils down to either a new mouse or using Synapse in offline mode, while in offline mode it's not so bad.

8. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    I can testify to that too, had Synapse installed for years now (using a Deathadder), and not once had a pop-up of any kind, been in offline mode since day one, version im on must be ancient :p

9. cookieboyeli

cookieboyeli Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 @2126
    Razer synapse will literally ask to install BEFORE you even start to install windows. It's embedded in the firmware of the mouse.

The only way to get rid of it is to get rid of it FOR GOOD all Razer products. Seriously.

For now you should use Geek Uninstaller to remove it then device remover to get rid of duplicate/detached device entries which can mess with mouse movement and trigger windows into fetching synapse as an update.

You are right about it messing with mouse movement, it causes serious drift, usually to the bottom right so you have to pick up your mouse constantly to re center. Garbage.

Go Zowie. They're driverless, don't have crappy quality control or parts like Razer, and don't weigh as much as a freaking tank.

Zowie ZA13 is very light but very small, have to get used to it.
    ZA12 would be my recommendation, it's still extremely light which makes a huge difference in your accuracy, but is not so small that it's impossibly to get used to jumping from a DA13 or some sh'it like that.

I had the EC1-A but feel that it was too heavy still although being a perfect straight upgrade from the DA13. EC2-A might be a decent option but only if you don't mind a BLINDING LED IN YOUR EYE. FK series has to flat of a shape for me.

Check out their lineup here:

I picked Zowie after checking out a lot of brands and mice because of their minimalist approach, excellent tracking/sensor, and low click latency specifically. The ZA13 I picked because of it's low weight (scale says it's 78g not 80g). Razer says their DA13 is 105g it's heavier than that, I weighed mine before but I forgot and it's been sold since. Without cable it's 117g or something. Lots of inertia, makes movement inaccurate.

Zowie Comparison chart: https://i.imgur.com/FYNgdqA.jpg

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  10. Mr_ALLroy

Mr_ALLroy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    I opted out of installing synapse and my mouse still works good. The only reason I can think of installing it, is if I used macros. Which I do not. But the biggest reason I don't have it installed, is it keeps my GPU clock speed from down clocking, preventing it from low power idling. Crap software for sure.

11. cookieboyeli

cookieboyeli Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 @2126
    Make sure you change your mouse to 1000Hz before ditching Synapse, they come at 500Hz by default.