Samsung 950 EVO or Sandisk Extreme Pro?

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by bballfreak6, May 1, 2016.

1. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    hey guys would love to get some recommendations between the two SSD's (1tb version)

from what i've researched so far performance and price differences are small enough to not worry me, but:

samsung has encryption while the sandisk doesn't, not sure if that's a big deal or not, also samsung seems to have more software (that actually looks useful?)

the sandisk uses mlc nand while samsung evo uses tlc, from what i've read it seems like mlc is supposed to be more reliable than tlc in the long term?

sandisk offers 10 international year warranty vs the samsung's 5 year (local warranty i think, i am planning to buy online from outside of Australia)...i suppose 5 year is already long enough but more is always better i guess

which one would you choose and why? thanks in advance

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  2. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    I would make sure you don't have any compatibility issues. Pretty sure those new, ultra-fast drives need PCIe3.0 x4 m.2 to work. I've heard that some add-in PCI-E cards can't boot up properly (If used as an OS drive).

I was just looking into getting one as the new Z97 board I have coming next week has an m.2 slot but it's not the newer style slot that these drives need.

2500/1500mb/sec though sounds like a tempting reason to dump my entire rig for something new again. 'Cause holy **** that's blazing fast!

3. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    yea man the ones i was looking at are just the sata3 versions haha, around 550mb/sec transfer speed i believe, not going for anything too crazy :p

4. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Do you mean the Evo 850? I think the 950 is only available in the m.2 form factor (thus far). I just bought a 500GB Evo 850 (arrived yesterday) which delivers 520/550 speeds.

The 10 year Sandisk warranty is pretty cool (though we obsolete most PC parts long before 10 years). I almost pulled the trigger on a 960GB SanDisk last week but I went with the Samsung purely on reputation.

I think either is a good choice.

5. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    this is the samsung one i was looking at

http://www.amazon.de/Samsung-MZ-75E...evo 850 1tb&qid=1462152456&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

my biggest concerns atm i think is the fact that sandisk has proper international warranty so may be easier to deal with locally should something happens compared to samsung which i believe has regional warranty and also MLC vs TLC nands where i am reading MLC meant to be superior :-/

6. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink

Hi there

This one I've now,I bought same 1TB Samsung 850 EVO which seems have good performance for money,although SanDisk Ultra II 960GB has been cheaper choice I went with 850 EVO

Regarding warranty,never have issue with SSD and they usually don't fail as normal HDD

Samsung vs SanDisk hard to chose and choosing right one I went with Samsung,have at home and still using SanDisk Ultra II which is slower and seems is OK,but I went with Samsung as they are bit better and sadly their PRO version are expensive for me and SanDisk better model cost same money as Samsung and there is small difference and in most tests Samsung is better choice

With warranties hard to recommend,you need to chose right which will suit you there

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

7. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    thanks for chipping in mate, the sandisk i am looking at is actually the extreme pro and not the ultra II...it's about 25 euro dearer than the samsung