dx12 coming to windows 7 + 8 in autumn '16

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by vase, Apr 30, 2016.

1. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    alternatively there will be an unofficial 3rd-party port of some devoted chinese hacking group.

you read it here first. mark my words.

if it doesn't happen dx12 will vanish in the shadow of vulkan.

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Can't, it needs WDDM2.0, and MS want people on Windows 10, and away from 7 / 8.x

They're not bugging the sh1t out of everyone running 7 and 8.x to upgrade to 10 for no reason, they're not going to give people a reason to want to stick with them

3. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    yeah those are the reasons that some dog up there must have come up with during the time between 2014 and the final release...

i remember a video feed of a /build/ convention where a ms-dev actually promised it would come out for win 7 too.
    the sad thing is, the people who know their way round... all know that it would be just a little service pack or some .msi to implement WDDM 2.0 and dx12.
    i even would go as far and say there could be a dx12 light without the need for the implementation of WDDM 2.0
    its nothing else than some win32 dlls anyway.
    the reason there is no standalone download for dx12 is ofc that they want to keep the filebase a "secret" as long as possible.
    but as i said if microsoft doesnt do it. some other 3rd party will disassemble it...

you have to consider what it means basically... it means emulating parts of windows 10 inside of windows 7 to get certain win32 (!!!) programs running (and nobody tells me it has to be AppX because thats not true... all recent dx12 titles are still win32 not UAPP)... the thought of it alone is pretty messed up...

EDIT:
    actually had it in my bookmarks
    https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2014/9-004
    very funny to see how dev point of view is outruled by sales/marketing so easily. and people don't really get to know because it all happens way behind in time when most people dont have any reason to inform themselves about dx12 or upcoming w10. like this video from 2014...

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  4. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    It's better on one OS anyway, the PC has enough hardware and software variables as it is.
    Adding multiple operating systems is adding yet another stumbling block that leads to an even crappier PC version.

If Vulkan can overcome this flaw, then it will likely become dominant instead but it's a huge if.....

Dice once mentioned that WDDM 2.0 was the important part, and i kinda thought they may know from all their experience with Mantle on old versions of Windows.
    If what they say is true then don't know how Vulkan will have much of a chance.

Not sure why anyone is concerned at the moment, right now DX12 is not very good.

5. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    This times 10, no pun intended

6. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    Vulkan will never be bigger than DX12. Vulkan is far more likely to fade away.

7. xodius80

xodius80 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti
    windows 10 has a better kernel for multiprocessing, why on earth would i stick to windows 7 if the api benefits from the core of the new os (win10)

and if vulkan has the same multiprocessing priorities, the same applies for that api.

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  8. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    well all be playing Vulcan by then anyway (Maybe)

9. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I think it will stay and replace openGL.. Its basically openGL with mantle/dx12 tweaks.

10. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Damn you should work for buzzfeed, got that clickbait down to a T.

11. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    Why would you want to update a seven year old operating system?

12. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Vulkan will be the next Mantle.

13. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Wasn't mantle just a ploy by AMD to have microsoft get their stuff together finally? Its open-source too. Kinda.

14. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    If "vulkan will be the next mantle" then why did they dump Fermi?

15. xodius80

xodius80 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti
    power efficiency, new architecture that can communicate properly and nativey? and overall like any other company: to make more money and remain relevant in the industry?

take any pick and it resolves your questions.

16. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Vulkan could be great for cross platform development and it might make things cheaper for the developers.

Not convinced it will be good for the high end gaming side of things though, it's also hard to imagine that all that extra work developing a game that has to be tested on 7/8/8.1/10 and then SteamOS and a variety of Linux Distros will lead to anything other than more chance of bugs and performance issues.

DX12 is bad enough at the moment and they devs only have one OS.

17. Pinstripe

Pinstripe Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7700 XT
    Not gonna happen. Besides, Win10 has already taken over Win7 according to Steam HW survey, and Win7 keeps losing ground at a fast rate.

Vulkan will remain a niche, just like SteamOS/Linux.

18. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Um, what? DirectX 12 in Windows 10 is more than just a handful of DLL files. They would need to go rewrite a bit of the OS to add support for WDDM 2.0, its not magic, nor does support for it appear out of nothing. Why would MS or anybody add support for OSes that will be EOL within the next several years? XP support only lasted so long because it took Microsoft forever and a day to get Vista released.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    how many of you fell for this and actual believed him enough to actual post response saying other wise..

20. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    Well yeah Vulkan will probably replace OpenGL because of it's multi-core abilities but I would still consider that fading away. It will possibly stay in mobile application in Android but will never be a factor in real serious PC gaming. At this time, it's lagging far behind DX 11 in performance and just barely beating OpenGL. DX 12 totally stomps on it.

Last edited: May 2, 2016