Push vs Pull vs Push/Pull - H55 Corsair

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by 0blivious, Apr 29, 2016.

1. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Water cooling noob here. :nerd:

I have a new board (Asrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer), new SSD (500GB 850 Evo) and new cooler coming (Corsair H55). It's my 1st time using a radiator style cooler. I'll be using this in a Corsair 760T (pretty spacious) to cool my 4790K (currently stock, 4.0ghz).

I plan to remove the rear 140MM case fan and install the radiator back there. I don't plan to reinstall that case fan anywhere. The front of the case has two 140MM intake fans running pretty slow and my rear radiator (and 1 or 2 120MM fans) controlled by CPU. Any problems running that configuration?

I already ordered a different 120MM (PWM), high CFM fan to match my red build. That means I'll have the 120MM that comes with the Corsair H55 cooler and the new, red one.

I presume a push/pull config is the most efficient at cooling. The board has a second CPU fan input and I think I have another set of long fan screws floating around to install both fans.

Has anyone played around with pull vs push vs push/pull to see the cooling results? Appreciate any input or advice.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  2. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    With a smaller radiator like that you'd get better performance with a push/pull config although not by much unless you overclock it. I had an H50 years ago and I got maybe 5-6C lower with the push/pull rather than just one fan.

I would recommend not using the stock corsair fan though as they are quite loud.

3. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    I run a push/pull on my set-up with is similar in size ie demensions as the h-55, My findings are during gaming I will ramp-up fans to 80% fixed temps will rarely pass 60c and thats running at 4.6 ghz 1.36 v-core.

Just try both methods and see what works best for you no? I say go push/pull.

4. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

On my case and previous cases,I've set fans at 650-750RPM as max,more RPM only makes more noise and temps are pretty much same,maybe difference of 2-5C which is not worth in my view at all

Regarding push/pull I've tried few setups on my H100 like I've tried Noctua NF-F12(those fans has been probably quietest and with good performance),then I'm switched to BeQuiet Pure Wings 2 which have better cooling performance,but they're bit louder,usually I'm running 750-1000RPM,for normal day to day running they're set at 650RPM and for rendering I'm using 1000RPM and temps on my i7-4790k at 4.7GHz temps are in 60's(65C on hottest on core),idle is around 25-27C at lowest 650RPM and highest temps at 650RPM are during rendering in high 60's(on hottest core is in region 73C)

This is running with two fans,tried to play with push pull configuration and temps difference in my case is not worth effort as temps difference is only 3-5C

But agree,replace fans for something better,I can only recommend Noctua NF-F12 PWM or Be Quiet Pure Wings 2 or BeQuiet Silent Wings

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

5. lexer98

lexer98 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    I tested all the configuration possibles on a H60, in pull i get worse performance like 3 or 4°C higher and push and pull 2-3°C lower but to get more performance i had to increase the fan speed of both fans and the noise is annoying
    I agree with Jura11 just reemplace the crappy OEM fan with something better.

6. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Appreciate it, I have some idea where to start now.

I'd like it to work with a single fan. I'm hoping the 15 blade fan I bought that (supposedly) pushes up to 107 CFM will do the trick on it's own. The OEM Corsair fan is rated at a pedestrian, 57 CFM.

Another thing I was wondering is if there is some type of rubber (etc) seal on the radiator to ensure airflow is forced through the radiator (and not lost around the edges). If there isn't, I plan to add something between fan & radiator to give it a good seal regardless of whether pushing or pulling. Maybe a thin bead of clear silicone.

[EDIT] I should probably mention I don't really plan to overclock this CPU. I may play around with it a little but I've yet to find stock speed disappointing for anything. The stock i7 coolers are a cruel Intel joke. My old cooler (Zalman 9900 Max) needs to get RMA'd so I thought I'd try some novice water-cooling to get my feet wet. That being the case, I suspect 1 fan will do, or possibly 2 fans running really slow (more quiet?).

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  7. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    @ Jura- With my H-80i do you think I would benafit with a pair of those fans? I am also wondering if this is just a scam but using corsair-Link there is an option to set your quote on quote pump to performance mode,Making me think this is some kind of bs no offence.

Sorry about the off/topic guys.Nz

8. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Its depends at what RPM this fan push 107CFM,I've at home some high CFM fans,but with those I would need to run 2400RPM and noise they're proper jet fighter sounding fans

Due this I would go with something like low RPM fans which push some good CFM,but you can try use those,but still I would go with nice Noctua or BeQuiet fans if you want good performance and good cooling

Many people like and use for radiators Seiko Denki San Ace or Gentle Typhoons or good Kaze fans

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

Hi there

Hard to say if you will benefit with those fans,every PC is different and I've been using above mentioned fans on my PC and on Hydro series,you can try to get one of those fans and try if you will have better performance,but depends what you want better temps or you want as me quiet PC..

Regarding Corsair Link pump presets,I've tried both,with quiet mode I think yours pump drops to 1850RPM and at the performance mode pump runs at -/+2890RPM,with Quiet H100 my temps are pretty much same as with Performance,difference is only Corsair CPU block/cooler reads higher temps at Quiet Mode,but actual temp of CPU are pretty much same,maybe there is small deviation of 2-3C on idle

This pump mode is good,if yours pump is noisy there,as some Hydro pumps are noisy,like my on EVGA Hydro which is noisy,if I could undervolt that then I'm happy bunny

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

9. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    When we are talking about fans for radiators, you need to stare at static pressure, not CFM. The relation between these two is interesting in the sense that fans that have high static pressure, also have good CFM. However, the reverse is not necessarily true: Fans with high CFM do not always boast good static pressure. If you study the issue, you'll most of the time notice that fans that achieve high CFM with low RPM have a poor static pressure value. So, that's the sacrifice. It also means that for a radiator fan, getting low RPM, high CFM fan is a faulty choice.

CFM measures how much air the fan can move in a free, unobstructed environment.

Static pressure measures how much work the fan can do against an obstacle, in this thread's case the radiator, which obstructs air flow (the radiator wouldn't work if it didn't). A filter is another computer case component that makes a fan's life harder.

High RPM fans usually have good static pressure unless the fan is totally POS.

I'm using two Noctua NF-F12 (already mentioned by jura11) to cool my 240mm radiator. It's a high static pressure fan, yet not too noisy. I've had three PCs with AIO liquid coolers. I always throw the original cheap fans away immediately. I wish the kits didn't even include fans... Although the Antec fan was pretty good to power a magnetic stirrer, haha.

10. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Yeah, I was reading a little about CFM vs static pressure.

I can't say about the pressure, but the fan I bought is supposed to be able to run between 500 and 2000 rpm. I don't intend on running it full blast, maybe @ 50-67% limited (it comes with wires to limit the max). I was hoping to get something that performed as good or better than the OEM fan at much lower than max speed. Also that runs more quiet (and... is red).

I was looking at the Noctuas and also thinking about grabbing a Gentle Typhoon fan as I saw a review where those worked fantastic all around. If the setup I have turns out not to satisfy, that's what I'll try next.

I should start recording my temps now so I'll have something to compare against properly.

11. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    For my first liquid cooler I actually bought a Gentle Typhoon. It worked well and lasted many years (only the person who got that old PC from me eventually had to replace it). I was happy with it. After that I've stuck to Noctuas because they are more widely available in my parts. I have had a whole bunch of different Noctuas over the years in many PCs. Excellent fans, although it shows in the price. But I'm somewhat sensitive to sounds from my PC, so it can't be helped. I rather pay more for a good fan than listen to rattling.

12. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Yes agree when comes to radiator fans and radiators what is important is static pressure

I've used in past Seiko Denki San Ace,Gentle Typhoons and few others,but as always I went back to Noctua fans as thy offer good all around performance and they're pretty much quiet,usually I'm running fans at 650-1000RPM,I think only few times I'm resorting using higher RPM

I'm waiting now on NoiseBlocker fans which I want to test on my current setup as friend running them on his PC and he is very happy guy with them

Stock fans or supplied fans on AIO they're noisy and really I wouldn't touch them at all

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

Hi there

I usually using fan controller as motherboard control sometimes can be pain in arse..

Regarding the fans you will see,if they are or they will be noisy or quiet,but I would definitely have look on Noctua,they don't look good or they don't have fancy colors,but their performance on rads has been always in my case good

Yes I would record temps,max and idle etc and then I would decide

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

13. EAK

EAK Master Guru

GPU:
    ZT-P10800H-10P
    This may sound strange, but i am doing push/push. Due to the style and space constraints of my case, this configuration works great for me and i am overclocked to 4.4ghz and my cpu temps are way better than i expected. Idle at 31c and no more than 49c under load.

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  14. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I was converting an ESD file the other day when my machine turned itself off, booted it back up and saw the CPU temp was idling around 55c

Checked the radiator on the H100i, and it was 100% blocked with dust, no air getting through whatsoever, no idea how it was keeping the CPU even at 55c

Thoroughly cleaned it with a paintbrush and hair dryer, dropped like 30c+ off the temps lol, no more shutdowns

EDIT for bad spelling

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  15. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I also have a h100i. I tried push, pull, and push/pull and there's really not that much difference. Push pull i get 2-3c differece vs push or pull. Not really worth the effort trying to mount this thing in a push/pull. It's PITA

16. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I don't even see much of a difference between quiet and performance unless I'm really stressing the CPU, then performance stops it hitting max temp, during normal use / gaming, no difference really apart from noise

17. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Noise really isn't an issue for the most part. I have 2 Noctua fans in place of the Corsair fans on this cooler. The only noise I really hear is my case fans. Even then, it's not a concern. I have headphones on 99% of the time i'm at my desk.

18. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    Yeah I was just looking at mine trying to figure out how I would even do it.

19. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    The red fan arrived a little while ago. Holy cow does that little thing move some air! It actually isn't loud at all at full speed. I mean it makes noise but my other fans are much louder when they run at full blast. With as much air as it moves, I can't imagine it's going to need to spin very fast at all.

The back of the fan box says the max static pressure is 3.7, 110 CFM, max speed noise: 37.3db. I can't imagine I'll need more than that.

I suspect I'll buy a fancy water cooler in the future after playing with this little one.

20. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Mine are the stock Corsair fans, not the quietest of fans, and I don't wear headphones ever really, always use my surround or listening to the telly

Don't often need to put them on anything other than quiet though so not really a big problem, and quiet is next to silent anyway