Dual Xeon Cpu/Logical Cores Detection question.

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by A M D BugBear, Apr 20, 2016.

1. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Ok, I just finished my new build like almost week ago.

Everything seems to be running fine, both cpu's work great however I only have one question here.

Under device manager, I checked under processors, All 48 cpu's(Thats including the logical cores) are being detected, that's the good part, the other bad part is that when I check under msi afterburner, it only shows 32 cpu's and not 48.

I looked under Aida Extreme 570 program, ALL 48 of them are being detected properly along with its usage.

I also ran that corona cpu rendering benchmark, I ran that, then while that's running, I checked Aida extreme usage under cpu, ALL is 100% usage.

I also looked into my lost planet 1 video settings, concurrent operations can only go to 32 as oppose to 48.

I also did load optimal defaults under the mobo's bios, the major downfall of doing this is that now the boot = windows boot manager, is now missing, I had to re-install os again, thankfully all my games,etc is on my m.2 raid(Dynamic).

Any sugesstions would be great.

Task manager also detects 2 X 12 cores / 48 logical cores.

But why is program such as lost planet and msi afterburner only picks up 32???

My power settings under bios is under default settings.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  2. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Not sure there,but maybe MSI have limitation of displaying 48 logical cores... but if game or program is 32bit or 32 bit based then limit of those can be 32 cores as Windows 32 bit have 32 core limit I think

I would try to download Blender or DAZ3D Studio 4.9 or Keyshot demo etc and try there how it fares there and if there are all cores recognized

In Poser Pro you can set how many cores you want to use for rendering,not sure if demo is available...

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

3. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    I am looking into HWiNFO54

Says 2 X 12 core / 48 logical cores.

Whats interesting is this:

I am looking into core usage, the ones thats not being used(Usage 0%), is at 1243mhz, whenever there is a load on that particular core, its jumps to 2900mhz.

So you mean to tell me the unactive cores is sitting way less then it should? Still new to all of this xeon thingy, I did had a w3550 in the past however.

Is this accurate? It would make kinda sense since its not being used, to save heat and power consumption.

4. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070

5. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli

Thanks for the heads up on this...

Well, I am going to read aida more then afterburner when it comes to cpu and its usage in general, and it shows ALL available cpus and its siblings intact, fully tested the cpu, ALL 48 are at 100%.

Guess this is good news.

6. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Alright folks, I did found my answer to why it only shows 32 cores within lost planet 1 and such.

Before I continue, First let me say that the latest msi afterburner does have full 64bit support but fails to show all 48 cores.

Ok, here the rest of the story, Take a good look at this and read this very carefully, this I have never knew until now:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa384228(v=vs.85).aspx

Furthermore, as future reference:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WoW64

And lost planet 1 is a 32bit based game from what I understand and not x64, this explains why my cpu count can only go to 32.

Very interesting and also I did check the registry through regedit, msi AB registry stuff is within the wowsys64 area, again this explains why it only shows 32.

Furthermore and sorrie for the off topic but cpu cores related, within folding@home, still, I can only use max 32 cores as I think its a 32-bit program and not x64, but thats ok, I did do a split 24 core/24 core and my 2 gpu's, so its all good.

I did check the PPD for both cpu's(all cores 100% usage), and both shows almost identical amount of PPD...

Now, does this mean that if I use a 32bit Os, will it show ALL 48 cores?? That I do not know and I don't want to anyways, because of the Main physical ram being capped to 4gb + not able to use the x64 extension and 4gb?? that's not alot at all for win10, maybe for xp but certaintly not for win10 and all other junk with it.

If anyone have tried this personally on a 32bit Os and see the difference?

thanks alot...

Very good info for future reference.

UPDATE:

Going to give the x86 version a try to see what the differences will be, just for testing purposes, Will NOT stay on x86, hell no.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  7. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Well I tried to re-install the x86 version, it will not work under uefi nor legacy.

X64 version only can be installed through uefi mode, so forget it.

I also tried the usb thingy, nope.

Anyways back to win 8.1 for the time being till pascal comes out, Wanted to see how much of a difference since I was last on this thing.

To me, right off the back, much smoother desktop experience then win 10 x64.

Reason why I went back, is to much BS with win 10 for the time being, Just recently, I installed the newest win 10 x64 build and guess what? During a restart, right when its trying to load into windows, it goes into an infinite loop with the windows 8 symbol(Loading) which is very rare from my own experience, Tried to restart again, goes to windows repair mode, try to go back into windows desktop and I could not, some of windows files been corrupted/damaged.

I said come on man, win 8.1 is better then this, jeezus.

When pascal comes out, I might go back on it but for the time being, I am staying on win 8.1, this is just crazy.

Tested so many win 10 builds and still have tons of problems.

Also for some reason even on win 8.1, right during the first initial restart of the os, it hangs, without the loading 8 symbol being displayed, from what I understand, no files are damaged or corrupted during this time.

Was doing that on my old system but from what I can tell, no problems.