Review: Hitman 2016: PC graphics performance benchmarks

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. randomizer

randomizer Guest

GPU:
    5600 xt Gaming OC
    Even though DX 12 is still in early stages AMD cards run well especially 290x against Nvidia 980. What's going on with Nvidia?

Another release which favours AMD...

Thanks for the review :)

3. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    thanks Hilbert it shows DX12 is not ready or was rushed I agree it should have been a DX11 title and patched later to DX12 when it was ready

4. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Mind you tho the dx12 did not even work properly and all the big tests were on dx11. Since the game seems to be broken on 12.

5. fellix

fellix Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    Well, that was expected from first crop title on a new API. I have a sense that async compute in DX12 will be abused for the same nefarious reasons, as tessellation was abused with DX11, but this time on the opposite side of the fence.

DX12 also puts many PC game developers in very untested waters, where the responsibility for the resource management now lies on their side, without the traditional "babysitting" from the device driver. Some will find it more challenging than others and it will take time and effort to master the new API. Meanwhile, DX11 will stick around for a good few years. Games can still use some of the new features in DX12 under the intermediate D3D 11_3 feature level specification, without porting to the actual DX12.

6. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Interesting to see AMD have such strong performance in several new titles - I wonder if something has changed in the way engines are made or it's just poor optimisation from nvidia?

7. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    I really don't like that game developers have more control when they had less they were producing some terribly un optimised games. I see some really bad DX12 implementations ahead. I am so pleased refunds can now be had for botched DX12 only games. I agree DX11 is not going away anytime soon

My other worry is a game will be DX12 only so you cant compare how it would have played in DX11

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
  8. kinggavin

kinggavin Guest

GPU:
    gtx 980TI super jetstream
    console parity, windows 10, windows store,dx12 none of it seems to be working very well at the moment , im happy staying on windows 7 gta 5 online runs and looks great , i wait until they fix everything and theres a big boost in graphics and performance

9. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    So much for DX12 being an easy and obvious win.
    HW requirements, engineering time and developer skill level has gone up, but FPS has remained the same :bang:

DirectX 12 Requires Different Optimization on Nvidia and AMD Cards, Lots of Details Shared

• DirectX 12 is for those who want to achieve maximum GPU and CPU performance,
      but there’s a significant requirement in engineering time, as it demands developers to write code at a driver level that DirectX 11 takes care of automatically.
      For that reason, it’s not for everyone.
    • Since it’s “closer to the metal” than DirectX 11, it requires different settings on certain things for Nvidia and AMD cards.

[...]
    • Developers can’t mix and match DirectX 11 and DirectX 12. Either they commit to DirectX 12 entirely, or they shouldn’t use it.

Translation: If you're torn between DX11 and DX12, you should stick with the former :wanker:

10. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    ^^ :) Oh I see that Hilbert has come to the same conclusion:

I find Hitman to be a fun title, but they probably should have stuck at DX11.
    The many DX12 related issues we stumbled into might be fascinating for a technology editor, but for an end-user a darn shameful experience.
    I mean active framelocks that we can only disable by using 2 monitors and varying refresh rates etc ... come on.
    The DX12 implementation feels rushed, for Nvidia it doesn't do even anything.

11. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    First of all, thanks for the review.

I don't really get it - you can see that they recommend either 290 or 770, and 290 has 76 fps in FullHD, while 770 has 25.

Something is not right.

12. malitze

malitze Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury X
    I don't know, from a programmers perspective I think adopting new technology should be encouraged, so I think going for DX12 is right. But to me it seems theres trend to rush out premature games without proper quality assurance / testing, like Gears of War for example. Though I didn't follow earlier releases as close.

13. fellix

fellix Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    Nvidia realised that very well and, I guess, that's why they emphasized so selectively on some features that the new API exposes (CR and ROV) than actual transition to the DX12, in general. This strategy of divide and conquer fits nicely with the whole GameWorks policy, which in itself is a library of customized and prepacked features, suited for straightforward integration, spoonfed to the game developers with minimal effort.

14. fOrTy_7

fOrTy_7 Guest

GPU:
    N/A
    It's not poor optimization form nVidia (like drivers), it's poor optimization for nVidia (the game itself).
    This game is clearly associated with AMD, Gaming Evolved logo, so they put a lot of effort on both sides (AMD and game developers) so that the game runs best on AMD cards. I doubt that the put so much effort to optimize it for nVidia as well. Usually hardware partner is exclusive. The true performance shows 4k resolution tests, and nVidia cards suprisely are gaining there a lot beating most of AMD cards. If you ask me that indicates no specific optimizations for nVidia cards in the game itself, therefore low FPS on lover resolutions.

15. fOrTy_7

fOrTy_7 Guest

GPU:
    N/A
    Tools are just tools, it all depends from engineer how he/she use them.
    DX12 is just a tool, it all depends from game developers how they use it.
    There are many great game engines, like Frostbyte, Snowdrop, UnrealEngine, etc. Also there are some bad game engines. DX12, with its low level access to hardware, in capable hands can increase performance greatly. The only regret that I have regarting DX12 is that it is Windows 10 exclusive. I might update to Win10 only if there are some decent games worth to play in DX12 mode.

This combo reminds me of Games For Windows Live. It was supposed to revolutionary solution at the time of creation as well. But look where it is now. Abandonment and almost dead, games with GFWL which didn't receive a patch removing it have numerus problems. I feel like Microsoft is warming up an old idea that had never work for them anyway.

16. Dygaza

Dygaza Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64 Liquid
    Exactly this, and if you don't adopt new tech, you'll never learn to use it. DX11 wasn't that special when it came out either.

17. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Nice review HH, thanks for including Tahiti card. 280X today is fast as original Titan/GTX780. That's for admiration.

Just like in Division, 950 is faster than 770. The trend continues.

18. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 12gb

290x again is spanking Nvidia latest gen cards ,,, we have seen this happen a few times now , and i will say it again , i wish that i had bought a couple of these back in the day instead of my old/redundant 780 ...

Good show for the red team again :)

19. Ch0plol

Ch0plol Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 770 4GB
    Man, my 770 is looking pretty bad even for 1080p these days.

Guess I'll jump on the 1070 when it releases.

20. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    why dont you get a 390?