Display driver stopped responding and has recovered!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by ZForce, Feb 21, 2016.

1. ZForce

ZForce Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070Ti Aero
    Hi,
    I have been getting this annoying "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" message intermittently on my Windows 7 64bit and the screen switches off for 2 seconds or so. It started happening about 6 months ago when I bought a new 32" BENQ QHD monitor and the resolution increased to 2560x1440. It only happens when I am watching Youtube or Facebook flash HD videos in particular or just browsing photos or watching TV and browsing at same time! It does not happen when playing games at all. My PC runs fine and my GPU (GTX760) seems to handle this resolution with ease. I reinstalled flash and cleaned and updated the Nvidia driver a few times but still no joy. Last one is v361.43 64bit.
    The strange thing is I have another Windows 7 32bit running on another partition with Nvidia driver v347.09 and it works fine with no "Display driver stopped responding" error message at all! So I think that rules out any hardware problem.
    I have also changed the TDRDelay key in the registry and even tried 60 value but it still happens. Therefore I can only assume its related to the recent Nvidia 64bit drivers. I am going to try going back to v350.12 and test it.
    I think there has been a major change in Nvidia drivers throughout last 2 years or so and I think its the cause of this error on many people's PCs. I am trying to find the best driver to install so I would appreciate any light on this issue. Thanks.

2. MichaelT

MichaelT Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 970m 3GB
  3. Zephiris

Zephiris Guest

I've been getting the same issue on a GTX 770 (1080p monitor) with all
    compatible drivers, but only on Windows 10. Under the same conditions or so.

If I use Firefox, it'll hit a TDR repeatedly. More frequently when Youtube or
    similar is loaded. Never when Firefox is closed and games are running.

It works fine on Windows 7 and Linux, and works if those specific conditions
    aren't met, so isn't a hardware problem on my end either.

There are a lot of threads on the internet for this issue, and no solutions that I
    can find.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2016
  4. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    For me, these errors manifest when the GPU/CPU OC is too unstable.
    I've had one Chrome crash when W10 launched but that's is.

5. ZForce

ZForce Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070Ti Aero
    Good news. I've gone back to driver v350.12 64bit downloaded from Nvidia's driver archive and there has been no errors for 3 days now. Also the system seems to be running better in general. So its definitely a problem with the later drivers I think! From reading the drivers highlights they seem to have introduced G-SYNC support form v353.06 and it may well be the reason for the TDR errors on some systems but I am not really sure! If you decide to try v350.12 make sure you use the latest version of DDU in safe mode to remove any remnants after uninstalling your current driver.

6. ZForce

ZForce Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070Ti Aero
    TdrLevel=0 disables TDR completely and that's not recommended as the system will not recover in the event of a graphics crash.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  7. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 Xt
    Same thing here on a 980. Also black videos in webbrowser on social media sites. AMD was green videos lol i guess I upgraded to black.

8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Same, I don't get any when it's running at stock

9. ZForce

ZForce Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070Ti Aero
    I am not OC anything. Although my GPU is factory OC'd but I don't think its the reason as it only happens in GPU 2D mode at low clock speeds / levels. Also as I said it doesn't happen on my other Windows 7 32bit partition running v347.09 driver with the same hardware setup!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  10. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    I just came here to post about the very same problem. It had seemed like ever since the GTA V drivers came out, I'd get driver crashes left and right, and especially when watching youtube and flash videos (yes, I would get green screens also). I could play video games all night sometimes, but other times they would freeze.

A few months ago, I had had a problem with screen tearing and VLC media player. The only solution on the matter I could find that actually worked was to enable Aero. I did that and VLC worked fine but I would constantly get messages popping up during 3D games that asked me if I wanted to switch to a basic theme (and a checkbox that said "don't ask me again" but never worked). I got around this problem by lowering the resolution I was gaming at (my 560 only has 1GB RAM). However I would still get random crashes and frequent "display driver has recovered" messages, especially when watching flash video on the web.

I disabled Aero the other night and all of my problems have vanished. Try disabling Aero (or whatever they are calling it in newer Windows versions) and see if it helps you. You will probably see screen tearing in your favorite media player, but assuming your hardware is in good shape, I bet the rest of your problems magically disappear.

I do think newer nvidia drivers are less stable than they once were, but the majority of my crashing seems to have had directly to do with enabling Aero on the dekstop.

I came on here hoping to find out how many other people had had similar problems with Aero since GTA V was released, to see if it was just my PC or a common problem, so if this works for anyone, please let me know. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016

11. EuropeRider

EuropeRider New Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 760
    I too am having the NVidia driver stop and recover suddenly, since 2 weeks or so. Since installing Windows 10 and the latest NVidia drivers some 8 weeks ago, everything was fine. But then 2 weeks back my Farm Simulator 15 game started crashing all of a sudden with this error. And now ALL of my games have it... sometimes the OS even restarts !

I tried older drivers (353 I think) and that didn't help. Various tweaks at display settings in the games neither.

MUST be something to do with Windows 10 and the NVidia software.... Windows 10 has automatic updates.

Will see if that Aero solution works..... or otherwise even older drivers.

EXTREMELY annoying and already lost 4 days investigating/testing :-(

12. EuropeRider

EuropeRider New Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 760
    Am having the same problem for over a year now. It is NOT related to Windows 10. Also the Aero theme doesn't have any influence (at least not on my machine).

I started having this problem on a Windows7 PC last year with Farm Simulator 15 (always worked well) and with a Geforce GTX 580 card in it. After trying all the obvious solutions.... and none worked.
    So in the end I decided to upgrade to Windows 10.
    BIG mistake. Not only did I lose some of my data (my fault), and a lot of time... it also made NO DIFFERENCE to the NVidia problem.
    Except that it now occurred in other games as well, and sometimes when using my various photo softwares

Fast forward to a NEW PC with 16 Gb of RAM and a GTX 760 Geforce card..... Uploaded Farm Simulator and some other games (like FarCry).... and KEPT it on Windows 7 !!!
    SAME problem started occurring after upgrading an NVidia driver.

GRRRRRRR...... now I cannot use most of my (Steam) games anymore !! Just went through all the steps and suggestions made in THIS THREAD and another one (which I cannot post because the forum software here won't let me).

NOTHING WORKS. The last thing I will try is that 350 driver...... after that I may commit suicide.

13. ZForce

ZForce Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070Ti Aero
    The issue seems to happen less now with Nvidia latest drivers. With me it only started happening when I upgraded my monitor to a bigger one running at 2560x1440 resolution. I picked up this message from a different thread by an Nvidia driver expert "Best drivers:

344.47 icafe best driver for fermi gtx 400,and 500...347.88 good for kepler,,,350.12 whql good for maxwell stable"

I too have GTX760 OC which has a Kepler GPU and I tried driver 347.88 and it works brilliantly with no issues whatsoever. Then I decided to try the latest driver and now on 372.7 and changed the cable to a Display port and now it happens again but rarely! So if you want 100% stability use driver 347.88 on Windows 7. Also make sure you use the latest Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) from Guru3D in safe mode after uninstalling your current driver to clean up the old driver files from your system before installing another driver.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  14. EuropeRider

EuropeRider New Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 760
    347.88, Roger, will try that one too then. I now installed 350.12 and FarCry4 worked for an hour now.... but Farm Simulator still crashes almost immediately.
    Also took the card out, cleaned everything. Stopped programs and processes that are not needed, changed the Registry... you name it. All still the same.

Will report back on 347.88, Thanks for replying !

15. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6600
    I had these errors/freezes/crashes in games, resulting in "Driver stopped responding and recovered" errors in event viewer.
    My GTX 460 never had any such thing, though I read about it, but when I got my GTX 950, it started.
    Happened in Windows 7, or 10, Linux was fine though, on every driver from 358.xx to 373.xx.

My card is :
    EVGA GeForce GTX 950 SC GAMING P/N: 02G-P4-2951-KR
    Base Clock: 1152 MHZ (Nvidia reference is 1024)
    Boost Clock: 1342 MHz (Nvidia reference is 1188)

I had to down clock (via dump, modify, and reflash my cards BIOS) mine to get it stable.
    I went with the following and it has been stable ever since.
    Base Clock: 1140 MHZ
    Boost Clock: 1216 MHZ (I think the 1342 boost was just too much for mine)

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016

16. ZForce

ZForce Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070Ti Aero
    Yeah its obvious that its related to OC as I think most people who suffer this issue have an OC card. Yours is SC so you probably got it worse! I never bought an SC card as I think its better getting the next model up like a Ti or a 960. Anyway well done re-editing the bios clocks but did you lower the voltages as well and how did you decide on those? Also what resolution are you running?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
  17. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6600
    I run at 1920x1080. I just took a look with the MaxwellBiosTweaker and basically moved everything down one tick, and the boost down quite a bit, figuring that it only happened rarely and very randomly. I figured it was happening when the boost kicked in and stable otherwise. I didn't have any scientific method or anything. I left the voltages alone.

I absolutely hate to RMA electronics because I almost always wind up having to do it 3 or 4 times to get a working card and usually settle for a downgrade when doing that, so if I can get away with down clocking a bit without having to run additional software to do it, I'll settle for that. It is still clocked a good bit over reference, so it's not like I had to "gimp" the card. More like the manufacturer went a little nuts on the OC...in my mind at least.

18. EuropeRider

EuropeRider New Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 760
    Well I loaded the older 347 driver (and used the latest DDU)..... my Farm Simulator 15 now runs again.... (an dso do other games like FarCry4 and Sniper3), but Farm Simulator 17 still crashes almost immediately. So there must be something in that game that makes my card go 'wooops'.

I never overclock anything.... so unless the factory did it, my card is not OC.

Still not amused... I paid 34 Euros for the new game and now cannot use it :-(

19. ZForce

ZForce Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070Ti Aero
    Well good news, so that's much better than before :banana:
    There is a new update for Farm Simulator 17 just out on the 21st of Oct. Have you applied that update? Also there maybe an update for your motherboard chipset which also makes a difference. What's your PC make/specs? Have you checked for new motherboard drivers?

20. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I had this for a while a couple of months ago, i loosened up RAM Timing (of the System RAM) and installed the latest Intel INF Drivers and the problem stopped.

Now i'm not sure which one of the 2 fixed it