well its been 4 years since i last logged in here. need advice for upgrade.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by tamzid, Feb 11, 2016.

1. tamzid

tamzid Master Guru

GPU:
    His iceq4 turbo 4850 512
    ohh the good old days when i couldn't start my morning without logging in here. it seems i have been away for the past 4 years!!!!! well i have been through a lot but don't want to annoy you guys with the details.

i have an intel 6300 1.8 ghz running at 2.6 ghz processor
    i have 4 gb ddr3 ram
    a gigabyte g41 mobo
    a 250 xfx nvidia card
    a thermaltake 850 watt psu
    a couple hdd's
    a samsung 22 inch monitor.

i have a couple of things that i need from a pc right now which this pc will not be able to deliver.

1. i need a pc to run hackintosh on it

2. i will mainly do audio recording and production so i need to run logic on

hackintosh and sonar on windows in the same pc.

3. i might do a little gaming on it. but i have a ps4 and i like gaming on ps4

i have no idea about the current tech. so should i upgrade now or should i

wait? or should i just buy a mac mini and be done with it?? and if i am

upgrading what specs should i get?? i have a medium budget of lets give and

take 1000$ dollars? oh and i will buy two asus monitor and sell my current

one.

sorry for my bad english in advance. thank you.

2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
  3. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Welcome back! You can do a lot better than that now. CPU/Mobo/RAM would be the main things to upgrade, PSU and GPU will probabloy do for what you need them to do.

If you're on a budget, go AMD, if not, go intel. Current i5 would probably do the job for you, plenty of RAM (16 GB maybe), and a reasonable board.

4. tamzid

tamzid Master Guru

GPU:
    His iceq4 turbo 4850 512
    Hey bleh! Good to see someone from the past! How are you?

So okay 6700k and z170 is something i was thinking about buying

But i am confused whether or not i should get 5830k and x99???

I can't hackintosh skylake right now and i am not sure what i will

Be better for audio production. I need thunderbolts as a must!

5. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Not too bad, mate, how you keeping? I'd probably go with the 6600K if I were you. The 5820K is good value, but the extra RAM and board costs do add to the price.

6. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Not sure,yours budget should allow you to build quiet nice Hackintosh there...

I'm running on mine without the issues Hackintosh,my is still on older generation X58/LGA1366,currently is running Xeon X5670 OC at 4.2GHz and 6 cores/12 threads plus 36GB RAM definitely helps me in Logic which I use most of the time when I'm booted in OSX,over in W7 I use most of the time Ableton or 3DS MAX and few other renderers

What spec to get really I would have look over on insanelymac or as above
    tonymacx86

Those older generations are quiet supported and really I would go with older generation if budget is low,but if budget allows then X99 and 5820k which should be better than i7-6700k in music production where are you really need more cores,I remember I've used older i7-920 in Logic and then swapped to X5670 and really you can feel it in Logic or any other DAW(in my case I've used mostly Logic with Reason Rewire ) or in Ableton where I've sometimes ended with 24 plugins and 12 instruments plus lots of samples etc and there I've never hit limit etc

Regarding monitors,I would go with dual or two monitors,which in DAW will be great,I'm using only two monitors and is really worth it there

Hope this helps there

Thanks,Jura

7. tamzid

tamzid Master Guru

GPU:
    His iceq4 turbo 4850 512
    thank you jura11.... thank you for your suggestion. i am going with 5930k and x99 thanks to you. :D

does gpu matter? or i should just get a 960?

8. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Really depends on you,but I would go with card which is supported in OSX there and if you do any work in OpenCL apps like Final Cut or Photoshop then I would go with older R9 280X or R9 290X,just check above forums which is best,have run this card(Sapphire Vapor X) and works "out of box" all ports works under OSX,no kext editing etc

With GTX you will need to run with bootflag something like this nv_disable=1 and nvda_drv=1 but sometimes you will end up with black screen on all ports,then you need to modify kext something like this

Plus I would have look on Clover as bootloader,I'm using this and really is best bootloader to the date which I've used and regarding the installation guide,please have look on above forums,most of guys over tonymacx86 usually using Multibeast or Unibeast,but I would always go with Clover which works for me

And X99 and 5930k,this should be great in DAW,just I would go with at least 32GB or even 64GB RAM if you do music there,in many cases 16GB is not enough for me if I work with lots of loops/samples etc but all depends on what music you do,if you not working with lots of loops then still 32GB is great and should be enough for you

Hope this helps and good luck there

Thanks,Jura