Mad Catz fires 37 percent of staff

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Accessory and console / pc component maker Mad Catz has headed into rough water, it is going to fire a staggering 37% of its staff. The company shared this info after publishing their quarterly res...

Mad Catz fires 37 percent of staff

2. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    ^ That's why they're called Mad Cats!

3. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    The old "Grab and RUN" technique before any disastrous announcements. :wanker:

[​IMG]

4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    They are not going down due to one game with some low selling devices. They are going down because their main business is making devices for Saitek and they mostly focus on wrong segment.
    Saitek used to be great company (well it is still somewhat good), but they split their business to those weird names.

Saitek originally kept their Flight Sim devices while Mad Catz made their great gamepads with exchangeable D-PAD and Joy position on left. Changing from Xbox to PC/PS controller as you wished.
    (They are nowhere to be seen and I am happy mine works flawlessly. - Mad Catz Cyborg V.3 Rumble Pad)
    They have few very few but good joystick, again in spirit of Saitek, but I have not used mine for very long time as there are not exactly many games where I would enjoy Joystick, therefore my Mad Catz Cyborg F.L.Y. 5 is catching dust.
    Then there are interesting mouses but as they are mainly about design, even lowest grade comes with rather high price tag. And unless you go for top of the line parts, you are always better with other brands where you get more for less.
    Their keyboards: They have some mechanical keyboards, maybe they are good, but at that price you can get ones which are 100% better, with more functions. And if you go for their top keyboard, you are actually purchasing classical membrane keyboard at price you can have 3 mechanical ones.

And there are headphones and other things but for all their devices there is same pattern. Long time ago, they made devices in spirit of innovation and engineering beauty inherited from Saitek. Now, you are mostly paying for visual design and relatively unique style.

I am happy with my Saitek Pro Gamer Command Unit, Gamepad and Joystick (In past I had Saitek's devices but I got newer Mad Catz in license. Now, they have nothing of interest anymore.)

5. Hughesy

Hughesy Guest

GPU:
    MSI Twin Frozr 980
    I'm surprised anyone buys Mad Catz gear, it's priced high but is low quality...

6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I knew they ware expensive but i expected to be high quality. Well, atleast it looks high quality before you buy it.

7. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Never was fond of their design, never matched my taste. Good riddance.

8. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    They are high quality, at least those I picked. Even old "saitek cyborg 3d usb gold" is in perfect condition. After 14 years, and yet you can find reviews of people who "broke" it in few weeks after purchase.

But it is hard to find those great gamepads and joystick today. And line-up there is, is not very attractive or wise to get.
    But they are not low quality.

9. WiCz

WiCz Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 290X OC WF
    I hope they started with the quality control department? Assuming they ever had one of course.

10. WrathZERO

WrathZERO Guest

GPU:
    290x Accelero Xtreme IV
    Couldn't sell enough of their $300 morphing controller?

11. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    You sure? :D
    Made the mistake of buying a razer mouse, was dead after less than 18 months (left mouse click wasn't working anymore), didn't even bother with RMA because I was so disappointed.

12. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Their flight sim gear is pretty good, but their gaming mice are beyond hideous.

13. kosh_neranek

kosh_neranek Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1070@2101 Boost
    If you dont like the design or price stop whining like babies and go buy something else. I personally love their design and I find their quality great. Am a proud owner of Keyboard v.7 and RAT 5 for the last 6 years and know 5 other people who rock similar combo without a single problem in years. I will be sorry if they leave..
    also you should try to hold it in your hand first..it looks uncomfortable I know but the opposite is true. RAT is the most ergonomic mouse out there

14. Elfa-X

Elfa-X Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 6800 XT
    I hope they fired their marketers, quality control, design department and board of directors.

This company needs a new name and a new image. They need to come out of this fresh and determined to put Logitech and Razer firmly in the dirt.

15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    This is part of the reason they're having problems....lol People are buying from other companies because either they don't like the aesthetics, the price or both....

16. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I've always found them pretty hit or miss, that said I do still have a PS2700 gamepad from them which was absolutely spot on.

[​IMG]

It could be used with the PS2/PS3 and PC, the grey area with the left analogue and d-pad actually popped out and could be switched around. Really handy depending on what you were playing, the analogue placement on Playstation pads always annoyed me.

17. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Can't say I liked their mice:

• Design was basic
    • Yet to much random crap, metal parts, etc making it look like a transformer
    • Sensor choice was often sub-par compared to other companies

On top of that the new hype is "RGB Leds".

Brands like Zowie are different, they're focused on a niche market. Less on the casual gamer and more on the serious one. Simplistic shapes and design, very minimal but reliable.

Though if you want to sell to "casual" and remain at the top, you have to move with the market.

Logitech did so with the new G lineup (hence why the old MX518/G5 design is no more).

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  18. No need for callousness. People lost their jobs.

19. spalek83

spalek83 Guest

GPU:
    270x 2 gb
    I hope they close their doors, Star Citizen deserves a more competent manufacturer.

20. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    This. Who is crazy enough to buy this ugly thing for this price? I mean maybe if it was $50-$75 I would try it but not $200
    [​IMG]