MSI G6 980ti idle at high temps (+55 Celcius/144 F)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by godfreyone, Feb 8, 2016.

1. godfreyone

godfreyone Guest

GPU:
    MSI G6 GTX 980ti
    Hi there, my msi gtx G6 980ti runs at +55 Celcius (144 Fahrenheit) which is extremely hot for my liking since i have only one display connected and its a 720p at that (waiting for my 1440p monitor to ship here). Please help me get that idle temp to between 35-45C. I know this card is clocked to run at an idle 50C which is too high for me. Could underclocking do the trick?***65279;

2. Vlooi

Vlooi Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon vii
    I have the exact same card, and mine also idles at 50-55 depending on the weather. Don't worry, your max temps during long gaming sessions should be your focus.

So what if it idles there. They are built to handle higher temps.

3. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    The fan doesn't spin until 60 degrees celsius which of course means higher idle temps.

4. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    They're high performance chips on cards with fans that idle until it hits 58-62c. Depending on the room temperature and case it's normal to see those temps. Nothing to worry about :)

5. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    If you want to be absolutely sure :) I got the same card and it works just like you describe which is perfectly normal. You might have noticed the sticker on the fans when you first bought the card which mentioned this feature.

6. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    IMO fan that starts only after 60c plus is stupid. Idling at 55c is high.
    One of the major things that steers me away from many 980ti's
    I like my stock 980 fan curve which keeps at 12% and 28c idle.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  7. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    are you forcing max performance level? cause that is what is causing it. your card should be fully downclocked in idle, and if you are at constant max3d clocks, the temps aren't surprising at all. you are not only heating up your PC, but pretty much giving up all of the saving features that are amazing on the 900 series.

my 970, with fans completely off runs at 135/324 at idle, and is at 26-30C.

8. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I checked my idle temps right now and its around 42 degrees (405MHz). I don't have much in terms of good airflow either.

9. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    What he says between 40 55 u should be ok, dont forget that the latest nvidia driver @ least a few drivers made the 900 series a bit hotter in idle, in the past older nvidia drivers made the card a bit cooler in mid 30,s now its in mid 40,s for me for most of the time.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  10. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Calculus is right, 0dB fan feature. You guys do not read what's written on your graphics card's boxes? A friend of mine also asked me this just a week ago :D

11. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    i have the same exact card and mine idles at 36-40C depending on room temp.

1. make sure your card is downclocked to 135Mhz when it's idling, this is most common problem for high idle temps.
    2. if you have high refresh rate monitor, make sure you have latest drivers, as old drivers don't downclock properly at 120/144Hz etc.
    3. make sure you don't have "prefer high performance" set as global, because if you do almost every program (browser, photo viewer, battle.net, etc) will run your gpu at ~1100Mhz causing high idle temps.
    4. make sure you have good case air flow.
    5. if all else fails you can always set up custom fan curve and make fans spin at ~30% speed when idle.

i don't like when people bash 0db feature, i think it's great and i hope they continue with this feature in future cards. it saves fans, makes cards quiet when needed, and prevents dust build up. most high idle temps are caused by user error!

12. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    couldn't have put it better myself.

13. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    You'd be suprised... I get cases of end-user stupidity on a daily base. From consumer to professional environments.

OT: My card idles at 39c after some gaming and the cooling is "good enough" since I've got the Silencio (as in silent) 652S case. 55c is a "high" (what are your room temps?) but still acceptable, nothing wrong with it.

@mahanddeem: Why is it stupid? Those temperatures are acceptable and if they increase the fan starts doing it's job. So what exactly makes it stupid? Do you think MSI, Asus, Palit, and sh!tload of other companies are happy with RMA's? There's nothing wrong with the design at all, otherwise they'd have a different cooling implementation/BIOS design.

14. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    As stated, there is nothing wrong with your idle temps persay, as the fans aren't even spinning until 60c..

But I can tell you that my GTX 980 Ti idles at 27c.. So why is there such a massive gap between yours and mine?

Chassis cooling is the likely reason. If you have great ventilation in your chassis, then idle temps will be much lower than what you're getting.

I'm using a Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow edition which has tons of internal space and air movement so there's no idle pockets of air..

15. dwiewolverine

dwiewolverine Guest

GPU:
    Strix GTX 980 Ti SLI
    like other say..it's normal behav(my Strix 28-42C stock cooling-now they got WC:cool:),for sure check your case fan,wind circulation is important in closed case:beer:

16. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    agreed

17. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Question: do you have any case fans on the side panel of your case?

If so, make sure the fan isn't blowing into the case, because then it pushes hot air back to the graphics card (as the card uses an open cooling system).

Rather have it blow air out or remove it completely, IMO side panel fans may interrupt the airflow of the case and make things worse.

Normal push-pull from bottom to top is the best way to go I think.

18. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    I have Fractal R5 and I tried all fan configurations that are possible. Your recommendation of bottom to top is actually worst fan configuration that I tried, while front to back being good, and adding another side fan as intake produces lowest temperatures.

Actually, I owned many different cases now and side fan as intake in all of them gave biggest reduction in temperatures for gpu/cpu/mobo. It makes sense, because side fan has least obstructions and is closest intake you can have to vital components that desperately need cooling. Maybe it does somewhat make airflow not so pretty, but what matters in the end is temperatures.

Of course every case and build is different, but I just wanted to point out that your are too quick to dismiss importance of having a side fan as intake.

19. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    ^ sure it depends on the case/build, I just wanted to give the OP a suggestion to try out, if applicable.

IMO side fan intake with an open GPU cooler may be a bad idea (open meaning basically any air/heatpipe cooler nowadays).
    But even that depends on things like the width of the case and does the side panel have an opening/grill or just a fan placing etc.

I have one push fan at bottom front of my case, one exhaust fan at rear top and other exhaust fan at the top/ceiling.
    Works nicely, also tried other configurations but this one's the best for my case.

My case doesn't have a fan place on the side panel but rather a large grill, allowing for airflow without a fan (the CPU cooler is able to draw air outside the case from the opening).

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016