Google Driverless Cars will be Wireless charged as well

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Interesting. Hopefully the induction doesn't screw with electronics and pacemakers. Now instead of burning petroleum, you can burn coal somewhere else. Best of luck during a power outage.

Tech and automation is cool and all. But over reliance on it worries me.

3. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    ... but what an ugly vehicle...

4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    200kW, we know only one efficient method of wireless power transmission, which is relatively safe for organic life forms. It is magnetism. I can't see anyone sane to install such device in floor of their garage. I can see kids and their bikes smashed all over place with wrenches, screws/nuts, ...

Or is google in middle of some revolutionary discovery?

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Until someone works out how to tap into the wireless power, and use it for their homes

6. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Looks like a freaking spastic box car designed and made by a retard!

I'm not at all in anyway insulting disabled/people with special needs, just stating the car designer needs to get his head checked...

7. Fyew-jit-tiv

Fyew-jit-tiv Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 580 Hydro 3GB x2
    See I'm thinking people at google are watching too many movies. Personally I think driverless cars for now should stay in movies as I cant see robots mixing with us mortal drivers on public roads. So looking forward to the first insurance claim against google its going to be very interesting to say the least.

8. Its like Fisher Price gone too far.

Crawler cars? Nope not good enough.
    Okay now we put a little electric motor. Nope not good enough.
    BAM road legal self driving wireless charging car aww yisss

For kids of all size and ages

9. FerCam™

FerCam™ Guest

GPU:
    MSI Gaming GTX980
    "Both companies’ systems transfer power from a transmitter embedded in the ground to a receiver on the underside of an electric vehicle, using a principle called resonant magnetic induction. In this process, an alternating current passing through a tuned electrical circuit creates an oscillating magnetic field. That field then induces another alternating current in a second, nearby circuit tuned to the same resonant frequency."

This is how a transformer/converter works, just with a higher frequency, different wave form/modulation, and no core.
    Now this and 5G at 28GHz, we will be getting a nice EMI shower in the future...

10. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream

11. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    I feel like you're one of the only ones that acknowledges that it's just burning coal elsewhere. So many (smart) people have their heads up their butt and honestly believe their cars are "zero emission". There isn't much of anything that angers me like that does, lol.

12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Well, if they are using strong electromagnetic field to deliver 200kW of energy, they probably have car made of anything what would not get crushed/bent/heated up to burn in matter of seconds.
    So it may be made from composite materials like glassfibre.

And as FerCam™ mentioned, people may get free MRI scans.

13. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    you no have nuclear power in singapore? :3eyes:

14. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    At least here in the US, they basically refuse to build them after fukushima. I'd give electric cars credit if we got the majority of our power from nuke, but it's just not the case. 80+% in the US is coal, next biggest being Natural gas which still isn't wonderful, but much better than coal.

Until some large percent of our electricity is nuke, you're honestly "greener" by running an economical car on natural gas. Way greener.

15. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    ???...Vogtle units 3 and 4 ...Virgil C. Summer Units 2 and 3 ...Watts Bar Unit 2

and 11 more.

16. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Do not forget that Volvo's goal is to have all their new vehicles accident free by 2020. So robotic cars will be on the road with us mere mortals.

Unfortunately I can see "sane" people installing this. Microwave Ovens mess with pacemakers and are not the healthiest way to cook. Microwave ovens are in almost every fast food joint as well. Would appear that sanity is on back order or was discontinued. If there is a profit to be made...there will be a way.

17. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Ah Watts Bar Unit 2, just looked it up. Yeah looks like that's the first one that's been opened in the last 20 years.

1 ain't even gonna make a dent.

Check back with me in 20 years and lets see if we have something other than lithium ion batteries, and a ton more nukes. Until then, nah.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  18. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Nah it's not quite that bad. Coal is declining and NG is increasing. We need more nuke and renewable.

From the EIA:

Coal = 39%
    Natural gas = 27%
    Nuclear = 19%
    Hydropower = 6%
    Other renewables = 7%
    Biomass = 1.7%
    Geothermal = 0.4%
    Solar = 0.4%
    Wind = 4.4%
    Petroleum = 1%
    Other gases < 1%

https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.cfm?id=427&t=3

19. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Only issue is that doesn't explain why the car is so god damn ugly. Besides hasn't that design been in use for quite a while now? Long before wireless charging it was a thing? I suspect that if it is made of composites and fibreglass it has less to do with the fact that they don't want it to melt, burn, heat up when a magnetic field is applied to it and is more to do with the fact that at the end of the day it is a sh*tty little electric car and the lighter it is the further it's powered by 'fairy dust and wishes' electric motor can take it.

More nukes and more predictable renewable sources, renewables are fine but you need conventional stuff on stand by to take over when the renewables stop 'renewing'.

So Volvo will be removing all their engines from their cars come the end of 2019?

20. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Think that is the only way the cars will not be in any accidents or there will be no moving parts.