ASRock Silently removes BIOS SKY OC patch for non-K model Skylake CPUs

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    i have friend who had total oposite experience...

their bioses are less intuitive and the softwares are crap (but who use software that come with board lol... :puke2:)... but it's lot less expensive than Asus and more innovative...

there is always a brand that fit you much than other... (exemple: Galaxy and EVGA doesn't fit me at all bad bad experience with their motherboard and EVGA support :) but are they bad company? )

I think it may be Intel's "hand of fate" on the reason why this bios was removed....

3. weasel

weasel Guest

GPU:
    2080ti&1080Ti
    I think it all comes down to where you live in Belgium Asus is absolute crape i really hate their customer service and the asus soundcard and z97 board i got are for sure the last things i bought from them.I normally only buy Gigabyte never had trouble with that brand.I'm now on my first Asrock board and i must admit 7 or 8 years ago i certainly wouldn't give asrock a try.But i can't complain now about my Asrock x99 mobo it was a bit getting used to and if it breaks down i'll just go back to Gigabyte.Ontopic i also think Intel instructed them to remove that feature.

4. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    I've had love/hate relationships with every brand so saying that their Fatal1ty boards are (!@&$(! is unreasonable. You just got the one made in the early morning on monday :p And software that comes with motherboards almost never adds anything noteworthy that can't be done with 3rd party software (which is better most of the time).

OT: Seems like the Intel monster has awoken from it's deep slumber... Hand of fate? ;) More like claw of money grabbing ;) But it's entirely fair albeit a bit of a let down for us (Tweakers and OC'ers).

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Did Intel requested them to remove it or just their decision? What about other brands, same thing?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  6. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I'm thinking it's due to the negative affects enabling this feature had. On Asrock motherboards, HT did not work at all with this OC feature on.

7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I wondered how long that would last.. Was the same on old h87 if im not mistaken, but then it was disabled kinda quick.

8. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Shouldn't take much effort to find the previous releases.

9. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    True, IGP needed to be disabled and several other things could go haywire. Not exactly appealing. And who knows what the long term effects will be.

10. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    When sales of your high end K series chips plummets then it's time to call in a few favors.

11. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    So, why not inquire at Ass_Rock's office? They OWE an explanation to their customers, don't they?

12. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    No, because this was never something that was supported 100% or set in stone. It was a "Do at your own risk" type of thing.

The companies that did it found back door ways to enable overclocking, and out of all of them I believe Super Micro has been the only one who has come up with a way to do it without having to disable anything, or kill any other feature off.

13. Mojojoe

Mojojoe Guest

GPU:
    :
    This isn't ASRock's decision. This feature was breaking the conditions of their licensing by operating processors in this manner. If you are angry, direct it at Intel's lawyers.

Don't write off some enterprising enthusiast from porting forward the microcode of this feature to future BIOS revisions though. Life finds a way, or something.

14. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    What's gonna save them though, is the internet. They knew what they were doing the whole time. Once you put something on the internet, it'll be there forever. ;)

15. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    IDK these new mobos but i own an Asrock Z77 with this Non-K OC feature it works perfect with my non K 3770 (3.4Ghz) since many months:

4.1 Ghz locked in the 4 cores working perfectly. 100% stable

16. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Wait what there was a non K oc feature on Ivy boards?

EDIT: Well thats a big lie, its just basically turbo-boost.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  17. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Lie in this mobo (z77extreme4) you can select 43,42,41,40 (or 42,41,40,39 ?) if i remember correctly or 41 for all cores.I use 41 for all cores.

Boost or not boost it works always at 4,1 Ghz without drops.

This is the "Non-K OC" feature at least in this boards, the multiplier was not unlocked (ofc....it's a non-k CPU).

18. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I've had an even worse experience than that with them. When I purchased this board I knew I was buying experimental hardware, as is everything with ASRock, but I ran into far more issues than I expected.

I was in contact with ASRock for a long time and long story short they really don't want to fix anything and just played dumb, at least I assume they were just playing dumb otherwise they're completely incompetent. They were relatively decent with BIOS updates but those only fixed about half the issues and the moment they launched their new boards all support for Z97 went down the toilet. They don't even have working Win 10 drivers for the all the motherboard features such as the ETHERNET PORT FFS!

That and their quality control for the actual board is non existent. Mine came with a defective BIOS chip, as in it can't even POST. That means either they checked it and it couldn't POST and they shipped it anyway, or they didn't even have the most basic test to see if it can POST. Either way, that's disgusting.

It's a huge gamble buying from them and they often are innovative for the price bracket but you really do get what you pay for. From now on I'm buying from Asus or Gigabyte as I always did prior to this board.

Shopping for motherboards is perhaps the most fun part as there's tons of options and I always keep in mind companies can improve quality so I usually look at all options... but next time I really am going to skip even reading about anything from ASRock. According to every review on the Z97 Extreme6 it's made of the essence of victory, raises your IQ, increases your sex appeal, does your university exams for you, and wipes your ass using a special satellite beam from space. As you can guess I was disappointed by reality.

19. lexer98

lexer98 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    In the store i work we sell ASrock a lot ... (Argentina .... hardware is quite expensive here) and as expected the RMA rate is higher than TIER 1 brands, but the thing that surprise me is the issues are quite strange. For example 970 fatality boards sometimes makes the CPUs heat like 70°C idle or some H97 kills RAMs :3eyes:. On the other hand the most basic boards like A58/A68 or H81 almost never fails :wanker:

20. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    Shouldn't at least part of the stuff you mentioned (ethernet driver) be able to run with legacy W10 drivers? I haven't even bothered installing most drivers from them. I believe I have the chipset driver, the intel RST and.. That's it.

The only driver I need and doesn't work is the fast app charger but hey - it's a Z68. 4.5 years old. It's to be expected.

You could try bypassing their drivers and go directly to the LAN chip's maker website (most probably Realtek) and get their drivers. That's what I do on my ROG laptop with the audio driver. ASUS' audio driver compresses the sound and I can't turn it off, I don't know who the **** thought it's a good idea.