monitor overclocking or LCD Overdrive

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by sajibjoarder, Feb 7, 2016.

1. sajibjoarder

sajibjoarder Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1080 FE
    recently i bought a monitor SAMSUNG SD590C. which is a 27 inch curved 1080p .. its a very good monitor for its price ( in my country ).. for the first time i tried some thing called monitor over clocking and got the refresh rate to 72 hz from 60hz 1080p using cru tool.. infact im loving the 72hz refresh rate especially in fps games i can feel the difference.. btw im using displayport..

now my questions are..

is it safe to use at 72hz ?? i have a 3 years warranty..

monitor overclocking or LCD Overdrive are they the same thing.. ??

can u give me a link where i can learn about the timings.. and can i push it more ??

though i have a overclocking experience of nearly 15+ years ( since amd k6-2) never tried to oc my monitor.. so im a novice in this :) thanks in advance :)

2. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    Is it safe? I'd say yes. I've been using a monitor which I've overclocked to 75Hz for more than a year without any signs of degradation.

Monitor refresh rate overclocking and AMD LCD Overdrive aren't quite the same thing.

When you overclock your monitor you just simply raise the refresh rate and tweak the timings, this doesn't alter the voltage settings of your monitor in any way.

AMD LCD Overdrive on the other hand applies overvoltage to pixels making them react faster which results in less ghosting. I've seen it tested only on older TFT panels and panels with a rather high 10-18ms response time and I have no idea how it would act with a 4ms panel such as the one you own. I wouldn't recommend using LCD Overdrive for the reason it makes changes to voltage circulation in your monitor, this could reduce the lifespan of the monitor.

Now, getting correct timings to help you get a higher monitor overclock can be a bit tricky sometimes. I'm not quite familiar with how things are laid out in AMD's drivers so if you could post a screenshot showing the menu you see when you overclock the monitor maybe I could help more :)

3. sajibjoarder

sajibjoarder Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1080 FE
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

and thanks a lot man :)

4. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    Ok, so first of all you should try and set your timings to auto, then adjust only your refresh rate and test to see how high it will go with auto settings. When you reach the maximum Hz you can get with automatic timings then set the timings to manual, select "Total" instead of "Back porch" and start lowering both Total Horizontal and Vertical pixel lines by small amounts. When the custom resolution displays correctly you can add 1 more Hz and then lower pixel lines again. At some point you will run in to a stop when lowering Total pixel lines doesn't help anymore, then you can start to lower the "Front porch" Horizontal lines by 2 pixels at a time, while doing so, you can also try lowering the Horizontal "Sync width" lines by 2 pixels at a time (lowering Horizontal Front porch lines helps a lot more than adjusting Horizontal Sync width lines so adjusting Sync width isn't always necessary and sometimes it doesn't even help).

+ A fine piece of art to help figuring things out :eyes:
    [​IMG]
    + Here's a screenshot of how my 75Hz settings look like to help a bit, you could try these settings out too and see if they might work.
    [​IMG]
    (You can lower Horizontal Front porch and Sync width really low if necessary, I have a custom 6K resolution using 16 / 22).

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016

5. sajibjoarder

sajibjoarder Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1080 FE
    mannny manny thanks man :) really appreciated :)