Is Watch Dogs worth getting these days?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by AsiJu, Feb 7, 2016.

1. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Hello!

Sorry for starting a new thread on an already exhausted topic, but I'd like to ask:

does Watch Dogs run properly out-of-the-box these days?

Also, do you need to mod it anyway to make it graphically appealing and/or perform better?

Thanks for any input. I tried scanning the WD threads first but couldn't find a clear answer.

2. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    I would say its not a very good game worth getting regardless of how it runs. Incredibly dull game

3. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    I would advice against it. And i've been fairly hyped with the game before it was released and even 'a bit' after lol.

The storyline is poor, the main character lack any kind of charisma, and the engine wasn't built for this 'kinda-open-world' game.

There's lot's of great game available, this one is not i'm afraid.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  4. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Seconded.

Overlooking it's graphical downgrade, and it's technical issues.
    The game itself is shallow, lifeless and boring. A tired GTA ripoff that has one interesting idea going for it, the hacking.
    An idea that is dwindled down to a single button press, and thus... no interesting or engaging. Just the same as pressing the horn on the car.

Add in a bland story and a simply awful protagonist. Aiden is... bland, boring and tedious to experience.
    And his motivation and or drive... is just beyond stupid.

5. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    solid game , but the DLC isn't worth 9$ or whatever they charge for it

either you get the whole package for a cheap price or just the base game for cheaper

6. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    i already made a thread about this game last year, saying it's a very shallow game, boring, and lifeless yes, those are the primary words i had in mind for it. and runs like **** aswell to add to it, don't buy ubisoft games anymore bro.

7. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    I enjoyed it for a playthrough. Can't take it very seriously, but I definitely enjoyed the atmosphere of the city.

8. sounar

sounar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080
    It's all opinion really, as I just finshed the game today and loved pretty much most of it. A crap ton of of content with stopping enemy convoys, stopping crimes, hacking other players ingame,racing others, contract hits on others,skill tree thay you progress, a ton of interactions with the world with hacking, and quite nice graphics that are in some ways better than gta 5. There is a ton of content in this game and the online portion of the game can played as well and side quests even after you are done with the story.

This game got a huge bad rep with its awful performance issues but the game runs far better now than it once did and as result I don't think this game deserves so much negativity since it did alot of things right that gta5 did not do. So I say go for it if you are willing to come with an open mind.

9. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    The story is ****... the main character is ****...

But the gameplay is actually quite fun, I plan to install it again at some point to try finishing some of the side quests.

The invasion thing too, where other players try killing you in singleplayer, is interesting.

Multiplayer modes I haven't played much of, spent about 20 minutes in multiplayer.

10. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Agreed. GO replay something like Alan Wake. I've played it once but will definitely play it again once I upgrade my monitor from 1080P to 2K & get a GTX 970. :)

Loved that game and always felt it was underrated. A great original game made by the fantastic company Remedy, once of my favourite gaming developers.

Their games have always been very well coded and optimized and almost bug free...

11. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    But would you get it over gta5? hell you can get a watchdogs mod for gta5 win.

12. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Well i bought watchdogs for like £1.50 few months ago, havent even installed it and i doubt i ever will tbh. Not sure why i bought it!

Yea Alan Wake gets my vote, really enjoyed that game! Get that instead

13. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I have seen some YT video explaining that it is easier and faster to just go in and kill/stun everyone instead of evading/hiding and hacking.

14. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Thanks for the responses guys! WD is on Steam sale now so I may or may not get it.
    Though GTA 5 is on sale too so... I kinda like the premise of WD but the things you have said will most likely put me off it.

Some of you said playing open-minded and not too seriously helps, but I think those can be done better in GTA V too.
    Hell, GTA is all about horsing around anyway.

When WD was released I was hoping it would be kind of an open-world Deus Ex. No, that didn't happen.

Incidentally I recently finished Alan Wake for the first time ;)
    Great game and will definitely replay it at some point. Currently playing, among others, American Nightmare.

15. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    ^ Nice to hear. If Watch Dogs is on sale for $5 or less then go ahead and buy the game to try for yourself. It's a love or hate it game.

As another Guru said, it is sometimes much faster and easier just going and killing everyone instead of hacking/stealthy approach. :)

At times, you could be so close to hacking or going stealth when some prick notices and alerts the world! That huge amount of time is then wasted and you find yourself going to plan B and just killing everyone that gets in your way.

If you played the recent Hitman Absolution, there was a level in which you have to sneak in a police station, get to a court room and so fourth.

I tried so many times the stealthy approach yet it's near impossible to get into a police station AND find a court room without being seen.

The cops are literally all over the place and in the end after getting caught everytime, took out that Glock and killed EVERY police officer. The HUD on my map was full of red dots since you have to take out the entire station which swarms full of cops once the gun goes off. The death count was 100+ lol.

Ps. Regarding Alan Wake American Nightmare. It's average at best. Just a quick 3 hour or so game but nothing to do with the original, just a quick game...

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016

16. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    ^ I was gonna say Hitman in reply to "try stealth, fail, kill everyone" but you said it yourself ;)

Bought and finished Absolution way back (I really should replay it too one of these days). While different from "proper" Hitman games, I liked it.

Plus I'm a hardcore stealther in Hitman for some reason. Every time I fail, reload save, retry. Repeat until you finish the level stealthily.

Meaning it can take 10+ hrs to complete a level. Sometimes I may try to survive the combat following a detection just to see if I'll make it.
    Even then I'll reload last save afterwards and try again...

PS: the trick to the court house level was taking the crack-pots clothes...
    apparently no one realises the suspect looks different after going to the toilet and you get taken to the jail. No kills required.

Though IIRC you can't follow him directly as he's guarded but there was a vent that you could use to get to the toilet.
    Subdue, take disguise, walk out. Very 47'esque.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  17. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    If you're choosing between GTAV and W_D, GTA is the obvious choice. Superior graphics, mechanics, story...um, pretty much everything except rain effects.

W_D is quite meh, but it's not horrendous. So if you enjoy this type of game then I guess you'll have an OK time with it. Personally I've not finished it yet but when I do play it I only play the main story since the all side "missions" and other chores are not worth doing.

18. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    ^ thanks. Initially I wasn't gonna choose between WD and GTA V but I realised during this thread that GTA is actually a similar game, also on sale and, like you said, a superior game.

I've never owned a full GTA game (shocking!) but I've played quite a bit of them beginning from the very first.
    Me and my mates used to laugh our ass*s off screwing around in San Andreas on PS2...

19. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    If Aiden Pearce was killed at the beginning of Watchdogs a lot of innocent people would have been saved.. haha//

I wonder if they will try doing a second game, no idea where they would take the story after the first, maybe his son gets killed this time and he decides to kill everything.

20. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070ti
    Watchdogs is a typical ubisoft game: boring story, useless collectables, incredible "gamey" feel: total lack of immersion. They Ubisof open world games aren't all bad games, but if you've played one, you've played them all.

No company pushes all their games to be exactly the same as much as ubisoft.