Ubisoft: The Division PC version can't push too far away from consoles...not fair!!!

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by sammarbella, Feb 7, 2016.

1. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    PC gamers can suspect or guess based on past comments that Ubisoft don't want to make games with huge difference across platforms with "little details" like the infamous Watch Dog code comment "It's for PC.Who cares?" but this The Division dev comment say it clearly:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-division-ps4xbox-one-lets-you-change-visual-se/1100-6434573/

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  2. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    So thats it then. They intentionally lower the visual bar.

I was quite content with Ubi downgrading as i just expected that of them after all these years, but when you take into account that the performance of 99% of their games dont increase after that downgrade, it shows that they dont really care.

Now, they're saying that these downgrades are intentional. Why? Console only gamers are not going to see the PC version unless they go looking for it.

Oh well, another reason not to support Ubi. Why waste money of a game dev that has not interest in making to most of every platform.

3. Monchis

Monchis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    What would they do anyway? gameworks/GE?, don´t care. I don´t see them reworking models, making the city destructable, and properly integrating some kind of advanced techniques like SVOGI... you know, the kind of stuff that several times more powerful hardware can do.

4. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    A lot of ppl with a medium range PC and also a new gen console (XONE/PS4) would never buy muti games on console if a NASA rig is not needed to have a better gaming experience in PC than consoles.

The need of a UBER GPU on PC to surpass consoles GPU power has a lot of reasons but this is one of the best excuses i heard so far: It's unfair for poor console gamers.

!!!

:3eyes:

5. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Deliver what they show at their announcements\first gameplay videos would be a great start.

Either way, we have confirmation now. So hopefully enough people see this thread that it'll end the gfx downgrade discussions in future Ubi game threads.

The only remaining issue i have, is why are their games so unoptimized and when they're basically porting from console to pc, tacking on ****works? If there is an intentional downgrade, then i expect performance to match that.

@sammarbella
    I have no idea what you're saying

6. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO
    Really so it's fair that PC users spend absorbent amounts of money maintaining and upgrading their rigs only to have devs dumb down the graphics so console users don't get upset, pathetic.

7. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Sorry for my English. :(

I mean a lot of ppl who owns a PC with a medium level GPU and a new gen console (xbox one or PS4) will buy always the PC version if multi platform games were optimized to use the full GPU power in PCs.

Right now to simply achieve consoles gaming experience level (PS4 medium-high 1080/30) requieres a ridiculously high GPU power in PC because PC versions are not optimized at all.

Some game publishers like Ubisoft clearly want to artificially boost console games sales due to the fact that game prices are higher on launch and stay higher in consoles compared to PC.

The console downgrade effect on PC gaming is not a myth.

8. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970

To be fair, that isnt the industry's fault. Its no different to people who complain about lack of 21:9 ratio, multi gpu or 144hz support. Ultra high end is a niche market.

@sammarbella
    Yeah, i completely agree.

This is why i was so annoyed about the latest tomb raider. Imo, it shouldn't require a gtx980 or amd equivalent to max out. It looks nice sure, but its no crysis era of visual achievement.

But seriously:
    Ubi must not have a dedicate pc build very often or at all. That would explain why they mess around with Nvidia tech. It makes my assumption that Nivida are just looking for something to bloat games performance to keep the high end market alive even more solid.

9. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    If Ubi makes more games that look as good as Unity, I'd be happy. One of the most visually impressive games I've played in quite a while but not just graphical features, the artistic detail, the sheer amount of NPC's that actually looked busy and not just turning around if they bump something.

10. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Pleasantly surprised that they are actually admitting this, every single dev has the same idea but it's rare to see any actually confirming it.

It would be nice in theory if everything was pushed to take advantage of future hardware, but in reality when it comes to visuals we are way past the point of diminishing returns and all the new features that can be added just eat up resources at rate that isn't always justified by the results.
    Saying that, as someone who has spent the last 4-5 years buying games 1-2 years after they are released visual settings for PC's of the future is quite an attractive option, the downside of that is that it appears to hurt the ego of some PC owners from the present.

There is also the argument to be made that without the console versions there would be no PC version at all, so nothing is actually lost.

Last i checked there aren't a huge amount of PC only games that are pushing hardware, unless i've missed something in the last few months i actually don't think there is even one single game that is and there hasn't been for a long time.
    The recently released and PC only X-Com 2 has inferior visuals while also suffering from lower performance than ROTR and a beta game like The Division.

We have Star Citizen, but i'm not convinced that game will even stand out by the time it's officially released and i think that game is a one off when it comes to huge crowdfunding.
    Actually just thought of another, Ashes of the Singularity.

11. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Yeah.
    They admit it... they are awful. They say nothing... they are awful.

I get the feeling PC gamers just want to complain about publishers and developers more then actually play PC games these days.

Did the Division get a graphical downgrade? Yes. Does it make the game play worse? No. As far as we can tell... it does not.
    Is it a bit disappointingthat they don't want to push graphical fidelity as much as possible with the title? Possibly.
    But, really, I don't care. Graphics don't make a game great.

The greatest graphics ever don't make a game fun or engaging. Ryse... looks gorgeous. But it's tedious as hell.
    The Division, looks good. Solid. Not amazing, not fantastic. And not the best Ubisoft looking game at that. But, I had fun playing it.

I can deal with downgraded visuals if the base game underneath is entertaining. And it is. This isn't like Watch_Dogs, that got graphically neutered and then delivered a bland, dull game with horrible characters.

12. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Its like the presidential race going on now: When the candidate is not serving your interests, you vote for the one that does.

So put your vote ($) where it counts.

If a game is worth your time, regardless of platform, consider it. Otherwise forget it about.

Ubicr@p has been the same since day one so it is no surprise, just like no one is surprise about corrupt politicians who lie to get your support. As least ubishat makes it known so don't be a sheeple and just buy what you enjoy.

13. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    I agree: Graphics don't make a game, they only add value to a good game.

Do you know which is the more common reason why console gamers buy a PS4 instead of a Xbox?

Yes!: Graphics (1080 over 900) and FPS (rare 60 over standard 30).

A lot of console gamers REALLY believe they are using the most powerful gaming platform...

:3eyes:

It's possible that you think the thread subject is some aspect of The Division PC version port but my intention was to discuss the "fair" or "unfair" practice of games publishers to be lazy on purpose when a game is ported to PC.Maybe it was my fault to don't have explained me better but i thought it was evident.

Is there any "fair" reason why PC gamers who own 1000 US$ PCs had sometimes a very hard time to get a "console gaming experience" (1080/30 medium-high settings)?

I don't think that is fair at all for PC gamers!

:bang:

If game publishers would like to be fair with PC gamers who have GPUs than cost more than a console (sometimes double) and PC that cost 3 times at least they will put a similar effort in optimization.

I play on PC because i want to play at LEAST at 60 FPS AND at LEAST at 1080 AT THE SAME TIME, this "feat" in consoles is only possible in a very few games.On top of that i want the best graphic effects possible and i spend the money to get them and i don't think fair multi platform games can't do it because some console gamers will not be happy about that.

I also own a PS4 because i want to play Bloodborne and it's an exclusive PS4 game so i bought the console only for that.

Some game publishers goal is not to be "fair" with console gamers, their goal is to maximize sells in consoles and have these customers happy about the artificial parity with PC gamers.

14. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    i don't blame them , they want to make money from all versions especially X1 since it'll be the weakest version visually and people would move on to PS4 to higher quality

meanwhile PC enjoys great graphics settings like amazing AA and better resulotion in shadows\lighting\fog\smoke\textures and faster input response , on top of that running the game @ native 1440p\4k + 60fps which requires a massive horse power

15. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    yeah well nothing new here, get ready for extreme stuttering and unoptimized game by tbe time u start playing farcry primal that is if u consider to buy a rehashed farcry 4.already lost interest in ubi long ago.

16. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Am I the only one that read this as a good thing?
    Everyone knows multiplatform games need some parity, at least they're working on a PC build with extras. Much better than only having a resolution and AA option like some crappy ports because there was never a PC build.

Have to agree, Unity was a proper next-gen title.

17. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Do people with $1000 PC's really have a hard time getting 25-30fps at 900-1080p at medium/high settings?

Alot of people think they are using console settings, but don't realise they have to dial down most stuff.

I'm sure a gaming site was doing videos based on new games and trying to match PS4 settings/framerate with a budget PC that didn't cost much more than a PS4, can't remember all the specs but sure the GPU was a 750ti and one of the games was Fallout 4.

18. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    u can build a budget pc like i3 and 750ti but i dont think u can achieve same performance as on ps4 with an i3 , u need kind of like my setup. an i5 and 750ti 8gb of ram which costs around 580 which is a lot more than a ps4.
    direct comparison: i get 38_40 fps at same settings of ps4 in witcher 3.
    i5 185 $
    750ti 140$
    hdd 70 $
    board 80$
    case 35$
    8gb ram 70 $

19. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    It actually was, a i3 4130.

WCCFTECH
    http://*************/witcher-3-ps4-core-i3-4130gtx-750-ti-framerate-test/

A PC is still going to cost more, but the aim of the PS4 is not to make much, if any profit on the hardware, unlike PC hardware where the only aim is profit.

It's in no way $1,000 PC's struggling to manage console settings/resolution/framerates though.

20. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    Will give money to them, atleast they are honest about it, rather than a certain dev who kept insisting till the last moment that "there was no downgrade" and after countless comparisons with E3 videos, then claimed the smoke and fire effects would kill any pc. This is not considering their lies about the mod kit feature limit.

The bonus is they got a cult following and worshiping them saying they can do no wrong. Meh.

Pre-ordered.