windows reinstall, massive pop in Blade & Soul

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Assirra, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Assirra

Assirra Active Member

GPU:
    Asus Strix 980 4GB
    Greetings

First of all, sorry if this is in the wrong section. I couldn't find anything more appropriate considering i don't know where the issue is.
    So on to the issue now.

I had to reinstall windows 10 over the weekend and while i copied all my documents and such over, i forgot to make a list what programs were all installed.
    Now today i played Blade & Soul for the first time since the reinstall and was horrified with the graphical pop ins. While i was nearly 100% this didn't happen before and i just overlooked it i did some googling anyway to see if it was a common issue and didn't find anything.

This resulted me into thinking there might have been a settings/program on my previous windows installation which prevented/fixed said pop in.
    I was curious if anyone has any idea what it might be and how to fix it because having trees and grass spawn like 2m before your character is horrible.

Currently using the 361.81 drivers and the game is installed on an SSD

2. dabrooks

dabrooks Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA GTX 980Ti Gaming
    Are you certain it isn't an issue with a "draw distance" setting within the game?

3. Assirra

Assirra Active Member

GPU:
    Asus Strix 980 4GB
    Yea i messed around with all the settings and since nobody else mentioned anything on any media i doubt it is a bug coming out of nowhere.

4. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    It's not a program that was installed and now not.
    Check it you have installed all important system drivers
    Intel chipset driver
    Intel MEI
    Intel Rapid Storage

5. Michalko

Michalko Guest

GPU:
    a good one
    Intel chipset software installation utility is not a driver and it is not important..

6. Correct.

7. Assirra

Assirra Active Member

GPU:
    Asus Strix 980 4GB
    Got all that and now that i think about it, i did press the bios reset button somewhere in the whole process so now i am considering i once changed something there which got resetted.
    This might be placebo as well, but i swear i have lower fps in my test videos for my media player (potplayer+madvr) so i am thinking it is something in the gpu that the issue lies.

8. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    Intel chipset software installation utility does sometimes contain updated drivers........sometimes.

sometimes.

9. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    Why would you reset bios when you had to reinstall windows?

Could be ram timings reset not to its xmp preset, could be cpu oc that was messed up.
    I would reset bios and start fresh. Post pics of your bios imp screens. And go from there

10. Assirra

Assirra Active Member

GPU:
    Asus Strix 980 4GB
    Well, it really didnt start with the windows installation.
    short event list
    one of my hard drives dies
    i detatch said hard drive and note that boottimes suddenly became longer
    thinking it might bios related with the remove hdd i reset it (dumb ass move i know)
    still long reboot times, windows reinstall+ all the intel stuff
    boot times back to normal but not the graphical pop up

Sadly i got no idea how to even make a screenshot of the bios screen so the best i can do is link a manual of the the thing.

https://www.msi.com/product/motherboard/support/Z77AG45.html#down-manual

I usually use the standard genie overlock thingie since it (used to) run pretty fine but maybe the reset changed something else entirely.
    edit: had xmp and toggled it on, didn't change thing.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016

11. Pyrage

Pyrage Master Guru

GPU:
    580 CF@ 1470

Check CPU options, disable all the power saving stuff, including C states and everything else. Disable speedstep.

Disable anything you're not using, like onboard audio/lan, intel rapid start/smart connect.

Go on storage settings, check that you're using AHCI(or raid) instead of IDE, check if the drives are properly being listed for what they are (HDD's being listed as SSD for example)

Check HPET, make sure its on the right settings for your setup (on or off)

Also, open Nvidia Inspector or GPU-Z and check if your card is running at 3.0@16x. Maybe when you were taking the HDD off you gave it a little bump making it run at 1x/4x. Happened to me once giving similar problems.

Next time you wipe your bios like that make a profile first so you can always rollback to it.

Btw, to take Screenshots of your UEFI, just plug-in a pendrive then press f12.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  12. Assirra

Assirra Active Member

GPU:
    Asus Strix 980 4GB
    Ok, a short update.

I was curious to see if other games had the issue and such installed Archeage, another big open MMO.
    It has the exact same issue, although a tiny bit less. At this point i am 100% it is not the game itself and indeed something on my PC.

I also tried to make a screenshot of the bios and while it saids f12 to make a screenshot it doesn't seem to work. Going to keep trying but all suggestions are welcome.

Checked with nvidia inspector as well and this is the result, seems fine as far as i know.

[​IMG]

13. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    If you're just sitting on the desktop, why is your GPU power usage at 33%?

14. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    There's definitely something going on if that's a screenshot with idle GPU usage. Temperature is way too high, so is the voltage. GPU core clock should be a lot lower when standing idle at desktop.

15. Assirra

Assirra Active Member

GPU:
    Asus Strix 980 4GB
    Oh sorry, i thought the request was with the game runnning in the background.
    Anyway, this is idle.

[​IMG]

I also tried to switch out certain hardware like memory and graphics card to make sure it wasn't that but that didn't change anything either.

16. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    Have you tried using DDU to wipe your Nvidia drivers and then install one of the older drivers? Try 361.43 or 359.06 to make clear this isn't a GPU driver related bug.

17. Assirra

Assirra Active Member

GPU:
    Asus Strix 980 4GB
    Tried both of those and no change.
    I think i might have wrecked something somewhere :(

18. Pyrage

Pyrage Master Guru

GPU:
    580 CF@ 1470
    I really think that it might either be placebo or ingame issues. It's just not something that can be affected by external stuff like that.

Like if it was stuttering or bad performance sure, but pop ins..?

19. Assirra

Assirra Active Member

GPU:
    Asus Strix 980 4GB
    Well i asked a friend with a weaker PC to check if he got it and he doesn't.

Also a small comparison:
    This is how it should be skip to 5:22 for gameplay
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlcCB3eyV-s

This is how it is for me and the person making the video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl6xXad48lE

Note that i did not had the issue before the whole thing went to hell and also rechecked and redownloaded the files multiple times.
    It also happens in Archeage although not that much.

20. zig11727

zig11727 Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080 Ti
    maybe a bit coin miner virus