Your PC Will Automatically Download Windows 10 This Week

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by mmicrosysm2, Feb 5, 2016.

1. mmicrosysm2

mmicrosysm2 Guest

GPU:
    8 MB SDRAM
    A lot of PC users are going to see Windows 10 suddenly appear on their machines this week.

Windows 10 has been changed to a ‘recommended’ upgrade – from an optional one.

If your Windows 7 or 8 machine is set to automatically install recommended items (the default setting), it will download several gigabytes of data.

Microsoft says that users still have the choice of whether to upgrade, according to a report in The Register.

Microsoft said in a statement, ‘As we shared in late October on the Windows Blog, we are committed to making it easy for our Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 customers to upgrade to Windows 10.

Read More...

2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    good thing i set all pc to notify before download, i not ready to put win10 on all my pc's there some issue neededing to be ironed out still

3. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    Yeah, sure.
    Try M$
    I have BITS and Windows Update services DELETED from the system.

I don't hate Windows 10. I DO have it.
    But, I use it only for gaming. Because I NEED Windows 7 (which I like more than 10) for applications that won't work on 10.
    So yeah.

4. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB

5. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Now thats funny stuff sverek^...lmao :banana:

6. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    :D :D :D :D :D
    Hilarious...

7. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    haha awesome pic

To stop this, in Windows Update, deselect:

“Give me Recommended updates the same way I receive important updates”

If you get automatic updates, this will prevent it being downloaded automatically. If you manually download updates, this will also stop it being selected every time you go to Windows Update and it can then be hidden.

8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
  9. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    That didn't work for me.

Even turning off the Group Policy for new Windows Versions didn't work.

I had to add several keys to my register to stop making it show up in Windows Update.

10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Well, if you are on anything else than W10, you have nothing to be afraid of while moving forward. Unless there are specific features in your edition of windows which are no longer in W10.

You are not insider or anything... You do not risk getting untested code, because insiders are ones who get hit by MS's mistakes for you.

Only thing which non W10 users help to is slow down of DX12 game development as developers will look at charts and consider DX12 investment as not worth it. (Still need to support DX11 in addition to DX12 to have actual sales.)

11. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    I have an old application that works on Windows 2000 -> 8.1 but not on Windows 10. :(

I use Windows 10 but it's a shame that one thing doesn't function.

12. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    With me I am going to upgrade my desktop to Windows 10. I am going to purchase a Windows 7 pro Key and upgrade that to Windows 10. However I need another Hard Drive first because I do not want to lose my Windows 8.1 key nor anything that I have installed under Windows 8.1. I am going to purchase one of them m2.sata drives for the upgrade. I need a little more time for that to happen.

Also I need legacy support for some Windows games and that is what my Sandy Bridge Laptop is going to be used for.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  13. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Oh my goodness...I love this picture. :D

For people who do not want to upgrade, or places that buy per license and not on a volume basis for business I can see where this can be bad.

14. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    What's annoying is that you kind of get screwed if you bought a pro license. I had a Win 8 pro license, I upgraded and now if I replace my motherboard I have to buy another retail 10 license.

So now I have to basically add $200 to any future upgrade I plan on doing.

15. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Microsoft is usually pretty relaxed with stuff like this. When I was in IT, there were a couple of machines we bought not with volume licensing but just OEM windows installed that we had to change a few things on and had to reinstall Windows. When 10 came out, we decided to push these machines to them but they weren't genuine due to the reinstall we had to do before. Just called them and explained what happened, gave us new licensing. :D

16. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    It depends on who you get. I've also had this experience several times in the past with various licensing issues, but it's just a poor experience that I shouldn't have to deal with in the first place. They should either give you 10 Pro Retail keys if you upgrade from 8.1 Pro, or they should discount 10 Pro Retail keys for customers who purchased 8.1 Pro.

17. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I think I'm missing something here but it sounds like you cannot upgrade to 10 pro from 8.1 pro...Is this right?

18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    No, you can upgrade and you do get 10 Pro, but Microsoft considers it an "Upgrade" license and not a Retail one. So if you change your motherboard out and turn your computer on, Windows won't be activated. If you enter your original 8.1 Pro key, it won't work and when 10 Pro is installed, it's installed with a Generic key, so you can't pull a Pro key from the registry either.

I had this issue on my Dell Laptop. I upgraded it from 8.1 Pro to 10 Pro. Like 3 weeks later my motherboard went on it, so I bought a used one with a broken screen on Ebay and swapped the motherboard out. I booted into Windows 10 Pro and it said Windows wasn't activated. So I tried re-entering my 8.1 Pro key and that didn't work. So I then formatted and tried reinstalling 8.1 Pro, but that didn't work either. So then I tried reinstalling Windows 10 Pro, it wouldn't activate, so I called MS and explained to them what happened, and they basically told me I'd have to buy a Pro 10 retail key, that the upgrade license doesn't support hardware swapping. At this point I probably could have argued around it, or talked to someone else like you said, but I was planning on buying a Surface Pro 4 anyway so I just said screw it.

Now this was back when Win 10 just released, like I said it was about 3 weeks after I installed 10 which was on release day. So the licensing may have changed since then. I know you can do upgrades/installs with 8.1/7 keys now directly in 10, but I haven't yet done that on a PC that already had that key "upgraded". Meaning, if I take one of my Windows 8.1 work computers, I can format the machine completely, install Windows 10 and then when it asks for the CD Key, I can enter the 8.1 key from that machine and it will activate. But if I then swap the motherboard on that machine out and turn it on, can I then activate with that same 8.1 key? You definitely couldn't when 10 came out, but they may have changed that since then, I'm not sure.

19. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    That's normal, because you upgrade from W7 Ultimate to W10 Pro as there is no Ultimate.

I would say it is more about features. I do not miss anything on my W10 Home tablet.

But if it was a license required to do business, then...

20. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070