Windows 10 Build 14257

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Extraordinary, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14257

[​IMG]

Today, we are releasing Build 14257 Windows Insiders in the Fast ring.

As I mentioned last week, we’re at the beginning of a new development cycle for our next feature update to Windows 10.

Teams are still early in their new feature work and changes in this build are mostly about laying the foundation for those features to start coming into builds. So you won’t see many visible changes quite yet.

Also, the increased pace of the Fast ring (You’ll note that this build is only 6 revs newer than the last build we sent to the Fast ring) means that there will be fewer big changes between builds as opposed to this time last year when builds were about 30 days apart.

There is a ton of coding work going on, but I want to set your expectations on how it will show up for you at our increased Fast ring pace.

We are seeing lots of bug fixes coming in from teams, including some which were reported by Insiders:

The issue of periodic app crashes or other memory related app errors due to a memory management change has been resolved. If you were having issues launching the Git client for Windows, you should now be able to launch it in this build.

The Connect button now shows up again in Action Center.
    F12 Developer Tools will now load correctly Microsoft Edge.

We fixed an issue where suggested apps were being shown on the Start menu even though “Occasionally show suggestions in Start” was turned off under Settings > Personalization > Start.

We fixed an issue where if you try to change the Lock screen picture with “Get fun facts, tips, tricks and more on your lock screen” turned on it will revert back to the default.

We fixed an issue where the positions of desktop icons get jumbled up after switching DPI settings from 100% to 150% or 175%.
    We also fixed an issue where pasting files into a new .zip file (compressed folder) in File Explorer by either right-clicking or Control-V would not work. You should be able to paste tiles into new .zip files just fine now.

Known issues:

If you choose “Reset This PC” under Settings > Update & Security > Recovery – your PC will be in an unusable state.

There is no workaround if your PC gets into this state and you will need to reinstall Windows. This issue will be fixed in the next build.

You can still rollback to the previous build if for some reason this build doesn’t work out for you. This bug also existed in Build 14251 so please avoid resetting your PC on these builds.

You might see a WSClient.dll error dialog after logging in. We’re working on a fix for this but as a workaround, you can run the following in Command Prompt with administrative rights: schtasks /delete /TN “\Microsoft\Windows\WS\WSRefreshBannedAppsListTask” /F. This issue will be fixed in the next build.

The front-facing camera is unusable on PCs with Intel RealSense resulting in being unable to use Windows Hello or any other apps that utilize the front-facing camera.

After logging in to your PC, you may hit a UI issue in which Airplane Mode will incorrectly show as “on” even though your PC’s Wi-Fi is powered on. This is due to a timing issue between how the UI communicates and waits for the underlying platform to respond.

The UI for Airplane Mode essentially does not wait long enough for the device’s physical radios to power on before reporting the current state. You can toggle the Airplane Mode on and off to get Airplane Mode back to showing the correct state.

Source:
    https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...ncing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-14257/

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    ESDs
    Code:
    https://cloud.mail.ru/public/N6Jn/uWhvdQRxV/
    Decrypter
    Code:
    https://cloud.mail.ru/public/T3gX/fNamHC33v

3. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Before I start, this issue came about right after I did a clean install of this particular build, first thing I did was install classic shell, gives me the older style/look and to me its alot better then the newer style by a long shot, but that's me.

Next installed DX package files, intel chipset drivers, intel rapid program, nvidia drivers, right after reboot, everything went fine, right after I used primocache, thats when it started to act up but I 100% doubt it that was the issue.

Has one ever had any problems with the win button icon issue?

The bottom left where you click on it and view stuff like programs, control panel,etc,etc?

It just gets all messed up, when you view it, over half of it is visible, almost 3/4 of the view is sitting all the way to the bottom, can not be seen, then all the sudden the icon is missing, complete black, nothing can be viewed, I have tested many win 10 x64 builds and never ever seen this problem before.

I even Tried another decrypter program(.ESD to .ISO), because I know when I used the normal decryption program for win 10 x64 build 14251, it gave me installation error, right when everything was installed, wham, installation error, can not continue, then I did some looking around on google, used another decrypter program, that works perfectly.

So I thought It could been the decrypter program, so I used another one for this particular build, doing the same bologna.

I went back to build 14251, works absolutely perfect for now, had some couple of nvidia driver recovery errors but there is a work around that issue so no biggie.

I am going to wait the build after 14257, I have never encountered this issue with any win 10 x64 builds.

Please let me know if you encountered this and how to fix the problem if there is a work around and yes I also went into safe mode, same B.S., deleted all registry keys for Classic shell, Same thing, and I also took off the cache thingy within primocache, nothing has changed.

Oh also, I used ImgBurn program and burned the dvd disc at the absolute slowest speed possible along with verification of the dvd disc.

Any help would be grateful, thanks.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Tried a clean install without installing classic shell? (Not just removing it afterwards), I highly doubt it's been updated for this build yet

5. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    I hope this fixes the high ram usage i'm getting.

Already scanned for virus/malware and nothing was found.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  6. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Tell us if it's worth update, as it seems with every ISO microsoft "fix" something but in return, breaks something that worked perfect before.

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    They're messing about with memory management, that might be something to do with it

Such early builds are nothing more than VMWare for 5 mins IMO, wouldn't run them as a main OS

8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    They are redesigning large portions of OneCore, which runs the entire OS. It's to be expected that things are going to break.

9. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    So far so good, running for hours and no increase in ram use to 99%/100%.

10. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    I might try it without classic shell but I rather use it to be honest, lol.

I never tried an earlier build then the one thats being posted now on the site for this particular win 10 x64 build, but I might try it later, re-install this time without classic shell and see how it goes.

Thanks for your help.

11. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

No issue with Classicshell (current 4.2.5) here. Maybe you are using an old version, or there is a program or driver issue affecting it.

12. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    You may probably want to know why Windows 10 feels so buggy. Here's a very nice quote:
    Full Disclosure: I worked at M$ from 2014-2015.
    MS has some very talented programmers. They're not very common, but they exist.
    The problem is that the entire company is completely and totally focused on developing an absurd number of new features and products, giving them completely unrealistic deadlines, and then shipping software on those deadlines no matter how half-assed or buggy it is.

The idea is that everything is serviceable over the internet now, so they can just "fix it later", except they never do.

This perpetuates a duct-tape culture that refuses to actually fix problems and instead rewards teams that find ways to work around them. The talented programmers are stuck working on code that, at best, has to deal with multiple badly designed frameworks from other teams, or at worst work on code that is simply scrapped.
    New features are prioritized over all but the most system-critical bugs, and teams are never given any time to actually focus on improving their code.
    The only improvements that can happen must be snuck in while implementing new features.

As far as M$ is concerned, all code is s**t, and the only thing that matters is if it works well enough to be shown at a demo and shipped. Needless to say, I don't work there anymore.

http://itvision.altervista.org/why-windows-10-sucks.html

13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    hardly shocking

14. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    The full article is a good read (If you agree with him) He explains in detail a lot of the things I agree with about MS and their new spying updates for 7 and 8.x, and the whole Windows 10 thing

I couldn't run Linux as a main OS, but he puts his point across in a way that makes you think twice

15. SacredKnight27

SacredKnight27 Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Man I really hope the Dolby enhancements start working again. I don't know if it qualifies as a bug to report on my end though since its a part of an unofficial driver set for my sound card.

16. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    It stopped working on the pre-release of TH2, but worked again on the final

17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    We live in age where broke/buggy stuff is pushed as ready to be patched later if they care to fix it later, look at the state game release they broke on luanch and patched later, i expect nothing less from MS in that reguard

DDL/DTS work fine on my system grantend i need hacked realtek drivers for it, but it all works.

18. Hootmon

Hootmon Guest

GPU:
    XFX THICC III Ultra
    We recently had a senior Tech help us with a major deployment.

He compared 'agile development' to buying a table, with the eventual goal of having a standard one.

In the mean time you eat Japanese style as the legs are built out, with the hope that the progress is somewhat even on all four.

19. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    It's hard to run Linux as a main OS if you're a gamer since there aren't a lot of games that run in Linux, natively, and WINE can be a bit of a PITA.

For the most part, Linux (especially OpenSuSE and Ubuntu) is a "set it and forget it" type of OS. Once it's setup, it generally just works. Unless you intentionally cause issues, there isn't much fun to be had troubleshooting errors.

20. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    troubleshooting errors is much fun no matter the OS granted some OS much be easier to trouble shoot then others