No love for X Com?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by cerebus23, Feb 3, 2016.

1. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    Well i liked the first games and with a few days till it's release, and total biscuit loving the game and a few 90+ reviews starting to trickle out, picked up a key for the DD edition.

Am i the only one excited for this? gfx look good, gameplay looks improved, the customization looks great, mod support, and a long campaign.

Why no interest on here? Or did the search function fail me and a thread is buried on here? 3 days till release!

2. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Loved X-com and enemy within. Looking forward for X-com2 however, I don't like its pricetag. Gonna wait and get it around 20$ on sale.

3. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    Yea steam 60 plus 20 for the DLC, DD edition what made me hold off for some reviews. But are a few key sites that offer it cheaper.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  4. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Its getting pretty good reviews so far. I enjoyed the last game but its not my favorite genre so I'm in no rush to play it.

5. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    Yea i think ign it got a 9.3 or something, pcgamer 94 or so, but TB (best of luck mate i hope for a miracle) gushing over it sold me.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  6. Tronman

Tronman Guest

GPU:
    XFX 295x2
    Yeah it's a bit strange there doesn't seem to be much interest on here, I was hoping to see some threads about performance on hardware. I've pulled the trigger anyway, can't wait to give it a run.

7. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    From demos I've seen there no drastic visual changes from X-com, so if you could run X-com, there should be no problems.

8. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Currently playing it. I love the Xcom series since the originals. Currently trying to get SLI working without the cover icon bug. I'm using the Arkham Origins profile at the minute. Getting excellent performance but the icon to show you what your cover is when you mouse over it disappears. I can live with that for now. A minor annoyance as you can usually tell if you're in high or low cover without it.

9. Pey

Pey Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 980 STRIX @ SLI
  10. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts

11. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    I just finished unpacking it (after pre-loading) and am about to delve in. The world may not see me for the next few days. :nerd:

12. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts

LOL same :) have fun.

13. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Sounds awfully like zapoy. Don't forget to eat bro :banana:

14. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    I'm probably buying it at the end of the month when I got a week off and plenty of time to play. Been reading a PC performance thread for the game on NeoGaf and I'm not overly thrilled about what I'm reading though. Apparently the game runs relatively poorly with modern hardware considering what it looks like. Maybe some Guru's can post how it performs once they've had a proper go at it ?

15. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    preloaded and waiting. this ,is ,the game of 2016. sorry guys.

16. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    People are obsessed with sht poo games. Tweaks, inis etc. just my opinion. not reality.

17. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    First person shooters, pretty graphics and ways to make them somehow even prettier seems to be the trend for the PCMR. Gameplay be damned!

That said, I have no interest X-Com games whatsoever..

18. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Hail to PCMR!

19. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    Think it needs a patch, hoping soon.

It wont even see my resolution for the screen, mouse point is like 3 inchies off the point, trying to change settings is hard as hell, then it crashes mucking around.

Trying to validate files atm, we wil see.

20. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Must admit to being surprised at the lack of an XCOM 2 thread until today.

I bought the game a few days ago from CDKeys.com and played it very briefly this morning after leaving my PC on to download the game overnight. I was shocked on loading the game to find it capped at 30 fps on the main menu and in the game after changing the settings, including setting V-Sync On, and starting a new game.

Seems that selecting MSAA causes the game to drop below 60 fps but because the game is not triple buffered (a common issue with Unreal Engine games in my experience) then the framerate dips to 30 fps. I tested the game with V-Sync off and MSAAx2 averages about 58 fps and MSAAx4 around 52 fps, both perfectly fine for this game but I need to have V-Sync enabled as I cannot abide screen tearing. I'm guessing that D3DOverrider won't work with this game because it is 64-bit only.

*sigh*

Looks like I will have to stick with blur-o-vision FXAA for now. Why, oh why, couldn't they have added SMAA support too?

By the way, this game uses Unreal Engine and runs under DX11 but it is UE3.0 or 4.0?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016