ASROCK Z97 ANNIVERSARY + Intel G3258+CMH212+ oc questions, plus a windows 10 question

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Strike105X, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Strike105X

Strike105X Guest

GPU:
    RX480Nitro+@4Gb
    Hi all, does anyone have any experience with ASROCK Z97 ANNIVERSARY ATX Motherboard and the Intel Pentium G3258 CPU ?
    Will the motherboard be good at providing a solid oc of at least 4.5 Ghz ? (Don't get me wrong i know that the G3258 cpus are binned so its a lottery, what i want to know is if the motherboard will be a limiting factor in the OC, or i'm guaranteed to OC with the board at a least of 4.5 Ghz)

my second question is that i noticed that the G3258 had issues with windows 10 but in the November build it was supposedly fixed, is this true for all mobos ? And its for the official windows build right ? Currently you can upgrade without issues with OC on if you have a G3258, right ?

Last question is that i have a Hyper 212 Plus CPU cooler, i got it some time in 2009-2010, will it be compatible as is, with socket 1150 ? (i know on the site it says its compatible, but for all i know they could have just updated the mounting mechanism in later packaging of this product).

2. Strike105X

Strike105X Guest

GPU:
    RX480Nitro+@4Gb
    Did i post this in the wrong section ? :(

3. Sildur

Sildur Guest

GPU:
    GTX960 4GB (1555/7400)
    As for windows 10. It works fine if you delete the microcode update file (mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll) in C:\Windows\System32.
    I don't think newer builds fixed this, instead they make your cpu run at stock speeds.
    As for upgrading to win10, not sure if that's fixed yet. A workarround was to disable one of the cpu cores in order to upgrade to win10.
    I installed it just fine with both cores, it was a fresh install tho.

4. Strike105X

Strike105X Guest

GPU:
    RX480Nitro+@4Gb
    Thank you, since that post, i bought them and here is how my experience was:

-asrock anniversary is a great board, but just as i initially thought the G3258 features are nothing more then marketing, i do recommend the board because it has good quality build, nice features and its a cheap ATX board. But don't think this board will assure you a 4.5 Ghz oc, or even one on the predefined presets, my G3258 for instance would crash with the 4.2 Ghz preset because it needed more vcore for stability. The motherboard wont bottleneck your OC, that is all up to how lucky you got when getting the CPU. A nice thing i noticed was that i can utilize my 2400Mhz RAM.

-at least on my board the overclock does not affect neither the installation of windows 10 nor windows 10 itself, installed it with the OC on and i had no issues.

Last but not least the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus, regardless of how old it is will be compatible with LGA 1150.

Leaving this comment here as well, because i spent a lot searching this on google and didn't come up with any hit on it, so i risked it, maybe it will help someone else as well:

The Segotep Blade case is compatible with Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus or Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, it will be close, but it is fully compatible, i do recommend however if you get the Segotep Blade case do not use with it anything larger then 158.5 mm, maybe you can squeeze an 159 mm fan in their as well, but it will be tight. For it to properly work with a 160 mm fan would be if the cpu socket alligned good with the window and side bump of the case.

5. Sildur

Sildur Guest

GPU:
    GTX960 4GB (1555/7400)
    Running mine at 4.3ghz on a cheapo mobo. Msi h81m-p33, bit worried about it's vrm heat. vcore shouldn't be any higher then 1.3v on that board, mine's at 1.285v.

I think the issue with overclocking being blocked by the microcode only occurs on low end boards that shouldn't allow overclocking like my h81m-p33.

6. Strike105X

Strike105X Guest

GPU:
    RX480Nitro+@4Gb
    Neah, you should be perfectly safe up to 1.3v included.