AMD-ceo: Zen-processors available at the end of 2016

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Despite rumors that it would be 2017, Lisa Su, ceo of AMD during a financial conference call shared that Zen based processors indeed will become available on the market closer to the end of 2016. The ...

AMD-ceo: Zen-processors available at the end of 2016

2. Toss3

Toss3 Guest

GPU:
    WC Inno3D GTX 980 TI
    Not sure what is going on, but AMD is going under if they keep this up. How can a company that a few years ago was besting Intel be so far behind now and constantly have delay after delay? One would think they would rush the product to market even if it only makes it in small numbers, just to keep Intel from gobbling up the market-share and let people know what they can expect and in a best-case scenario have them wait instead of going with Intel. The current FX processors are a joke and Intel can basically price their CPUs as they want (which they apparently do considering the 4790k is still 400€+).

3. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    They can't come soon enough!

4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Mostly because all the money they made from their early 2000's success went directly into ATi, a company they bought for $5.4B that was worth like a quarter of that a year later. They even admitted a year later that $3.2B of that was just for the brand. It was an absolutely terrible purchase.

Anyway hopefully they can kick it back into gear this year. It seems like they have a running head start in the graphics division with Polaris and they are hyping Zen -- plus it was engineered by Jim Keller who has a track record for good stuff.

5. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Wouldn't say the FX cpu's are a joke. They don't bench as high as the i7 or i5, but really people that have them are more than satisfied.

AMD is really in the same boat it's always been in, Intel has the OEM market. The difference now however, is Intel has cpus at every price point that are very efficient whereas before Intel just had them on pricing.

6. SturmButcher

SturmButcher Guest

GPU:
    Zotac AMP GTX 1070
    God damn it AMD, you need to launch the CPUs sooner, not at the end of 2016 , I hope with that delay the damn Zen performs better than Skylyke but I doubt it.

I hope that Polaris will be good enough to destroy Pascal this time, AMD needs to return at laptop world fast.

7. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    A delay? It was always this time frame, God when people type out of their behind

8. poornaprakash

poornaprakash Active Member

GPU:
    AMD/Nvidia
    Zen Fx the equaliser

I hope AMD Zen can match the performance that of Intel Haswell. It would be amazing their submit ridge 8 core Zen matches performance that of $1000 8 core 5960x at a competitive price. Hope AMD succeeds with their next gen CPU for the sake of consumers .

9. cps1974

cps1974 Guest

GPU:
    Inno3d GTX770 4GB
    with what products and at what time did they best Intel a few years ago?

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Because despite this, people went for Intel anyway.

The only time Intel really was a truly serious threat to AMD was when they released Sandy Bridge. At that point, the only thing AMD had going for them was price:performance. But, people go for Intel because it's a familiar name. Intel has always had financial leverage. AMD entered the x86 market simply because IBM wanted a competitor to Intel; they otherwise weren't really that prepared.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016

11. Mugsy

Mugsy Guest

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Pulse
    More than a few years ago. Before the core2 architecture.

12. reeven

reeven Guest

GPU:
    XFX GTX280 750/1450/3000
    A user with an Intel says that amd cpu are joke.
    Have you use an fx8350 for example?

I bet you never touch it.
    So you cant even speak about it.

An fx cpu play does what your Intel does. If i replace your intel with an amd and i wont tell you that you will never see the diferences between them.

13. Toss3

Toss3 Guest

GPU:
    WC Inno3D GTX 980 TI
    Have you compared the FX8350 to any recent Intel CPUs? Please return here when you do and explain to me why the fx8350 is worth anything. Hell even an i3 almost outperforms it. The similarly priced i5 6400 is just a much much better buy with half the TDP. I am eagerly waiting for the Zen (especially the AIO), but for the last four years or so AMD has been at a standstill while Intel has kept on going and arguing anything else is just waste of time.

14. Toss3

Toss3 Guest

GPU:
    WC Inno3D GTX 980 TI
    Athlon 64? That was back in 2006 so ten years ago (doesn't feel that long).

15. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Well, when you cherry-pick results, the FX8350 can outperform some i7s too, so your point is irrelevant. Since Guru3D is largely focused on gaming, just about any AMD processor is definitely good enough, as long as you don't have anything fancy like a 144Hz or 4k monitor. But, if you're buying AMD, you're probably on a budget and wouldn't have such things anyway.

As for being at a standstill, if anyone that'd be Intel. Intel hasn't released a noteworthy laptop or desktop product since the release of Sandy Bridge. Each release after that has been very incremental. AMD still hasn't made something that readily outperforms Sandy Bridge, but they have made significant improvements every generation.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016

16. Toss3

Toss3 Guest

GPU:
    WC Inno3D GTX 980 TI
    The Zen was supposed to be available in 2016 alright, but not at the END. :3eyes: All I want for AMD to get back into the ring and give Intel a big :banana: in terms of performance per $.

17. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Excuse me...but here on the eve of AMD producing the fastest desktop cpus it's ever made (probably will put not a few Intel cpus in the also-ran column)...and you are saying..."If they keep this up they're going under"...? Lol...;)

I might agree if they'd said "No Zen this year...", but it's the opposite, isn't it? We know for a fact that Zen is coming this year, along with a new chipset from AMD, new motherboards, etc. ad infinitum. All that stuff takes time, especially if we are talking about a company 10x smaller and with 10x less money to burn than Intel (at least.)

AMD screwed the pooch back about the same time Microsoft went bananas with Windows 8 development that idiotically decided that no one wanted PCs any more and were throwing them out to buy the under-powered, over-priced non-user-serviceable and non-user-upgradable iPads & tablets. The device craze/fad that is only now beginning to die out at last put lots of people back years, including Microsoft. (That's usually what happens when something from Apple poisons the marketplace temporarily.) The lone, notable exception is Intel--the company could plainly see why the device craze would never upset the PC marketplace and hung tough with PCs, and now that strategy is being revealed as the correct one.

The current FX processors are no joke at all. But since you don't have one I don't expect you to understand that. They are very competitive with Intel i5's and below, and Intel sells a ton more of those than it does i7's (Intel's own i5's also "aren't competitive" with its i7's in terms of performance, are they?--but Intel sells a lot more i5's, likewise AMD sells lots of FX cpus.)

Be that as it may, Zen is finally arriving, and along with it AMD is returning to a good-sense paradigm, something which I attribute to its new CEO who seems very PC savvy. That's the trouble with putting non-tech people in charge of a tech corporation--they will not instinctively know what to do or where to go and are likely to simply copy what they see some company like Apple (ugh!) do! It happened with Ballard @ Microsoft (who damn near ruined the company with bad decisions) and with Rory @ AMD, too--who charted the company towards ARM & devices, instead of sticking with x86. The new AMD CEO plainly knows what she is doing and how to get where she wants to go. I wish her the best and will support AMD with my pocketbook again when Zen & Polaris ship--if they meet my expectations.

18. fontana

fontana Member

GPU:
    EVGA 970 ACX2+
    Well... it also depends on the game. when I changed from a 4.0 oc'ed fx6100/990fx to a stock 4690k/z97 my 300+ mods skyrim simply doubled fps. on vanilla not much difference tho
    fx couldnt handle the all the new scripts
    I've always prefered amd, if nothing else, to value the competition. but a 100 dollar cpu upgrade has given me more than a 300 dollar gpu upgrade. not to mention a stock 4690k burns some 100w less than an overclocked fx

19. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I'm well aware you'll get more FPS on most Intels. But if you have a 60Hz monitor and you get 60FPS, it doesn't matter if you can get higher.

But yes, power efficiency is the real big difference here. Whatever AMD's new CPU is like, as long as the performance-per-watt is as good or better than Intel's, I'm happy. CPU speed these days is relatively unimportant. As long as a CPU can keep up with your workload, there isn't much of a point in going faster. The way I see it, Intel has refined the Core i series as much as they can and now they're just doing die shrinks, expanding the IGP, and adding more cores to keep the performance and efficiency up. But they're eventually going to hit a wall, and that wall is coming up real fast (the physical limitations of silicon transistors).

20. AzzKickr

AzzKickr Guest

GPU:
    Vega64
    The FX is terrible in performance/watt ratio but is nowhere near as "weak" as critics tend to make you believe.
    Having owned an FX-8350 with an overclocked FSB of 325 (stock=200) @ 4.7Ghz it was the fastest machine I ever owned, coupled to some 2133Mhz @ 2300+Mhz. It literally ran circles around overclocked i7's because of the massive FSB overclock (talking about games here).

However: it had to be watercooled and drew ~400 watts from the powerline. (entire system, measured myself). So in performance over power draw/heat it is indeed not at the level of i5's/i7's, nor can it compete on stock settings because it will loose with a few percentages across the range.
    Put the pricetag back into perspective and the overclocking potential, provided you have the cooling power, and it's (was) a real i7 killer.

Current state however makes the gap too big to justify an FX cpu currently. But at time of release it was a very valid contender ! (bar the power efficiency)

AMD focussed on its APU's and for good reason: my Kaveri black edition on mini ITX board attached to my TV boosts framerates and detail unlike any other. Intel is nowhere near a match in that area.