People upgrading in 2016, what device will you be getting?

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by Bentez, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Bentez

Bentez Guest

GPU:
    Palit GR RTX 3080
    With 4 days of 2015 remaining, I felt like it was time for a new thread!

What are on peoples hit list for the coming year? 4K, Snapdragon 820?

I went with the Nexus 6P in 2015, which I'm pretty happy with.

The early leaks/renders of the S7 are looking good though..

Either way, if I don't get the chance in a few days, happy new year!

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I'll either stick with my LG G4 or switch to a Lumia 950... Otherwise, my wait for an Ubuntu Touch based phone continues....

3. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I'll likely keep my Honor 6. Though... If Honor 8 is as good value as 6 and 7 I might upgrade. Samsung Galaxy flagships are too pricey and the mini etc. versions are overpriced junks with bad support.

4. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Note 5 is almost impossible to beat, let alone after root and tweaking. But i probably go for Galaxy S7 G5 or Note 6, if the following will occur:

-A soc at least as efficient as Exynos 7420.
    -Micro SDcard that won't hurt UFS2.0 system.
    -While note 5 camera is awesome at all conditions, improvement is already made for GS7, so i hope it will take better picture in low light.
    -4.000mah battery or even more, no more than QHD resolution.
    -Removable battery is optional, a better Android update program, not waiting half year to get the next version.
    -5.7 inch screen up to 6, premium made NOT slippery sturdy phone.

5. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Hopefully none unless I smash my phone again!

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Most Samsung products have poor or no support.... That's why I can't understand the love for Samsung.

7. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I had (still have) Galaxy S. The support was really poor, Cyanogen Mod made it usable. Though thanks to latest Google app and services it is so slow that my old Nokia N80i is speed demon compared to it. Galaxy S also has really slow internal flash memory that doesn't help.

When I bought my Honor 6 I expected that Huawei would abandon it quickly but that was not the case. It's currently rocking 5.1.1 and 6 is coming. I've been rather happy with their support. Also they do not put bloat that you can't remove in your phone (unlike Sony...).

My brother bought Galaxy J5 and it's indeed rather nice phone for the price but it looks like Samsung doesn't have any plans to update it.

8. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    Lumia 850.

9. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    iPhone 7 Plus most likely. I currently have a 6 Plus. I was never impressed with Windows phones to begin with and i'm done with Android devices for the foreseeable future.

10. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    They might change it in the next year, but u not 100% right. it kinda depends on the product, high end products get good support, well at least for now but lower end that depends, that is the only true Achilles hill of Sammy.

11. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    what made u drop Android phones and switch to lolphone?

12. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I will be keeping my Samsung Galaxy S6 for 2016 , will upgrade in 2017 to Galaxy S8 while skipping S7 in 2016.

13. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    S6 getting android 6.0 beta, s6 edge seeing a major improvement to edge corners, S6 battery seems to improve as well.

You need the galaxy care app, it mainly focused on users from UK and south korea for now.

14. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    I will probably get t LG G5 (or whatever they will call it) and Windows 10 tablet, most likely a Microsoft Surface or equal.

15. nexxusting

nexxusting Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 SC /w EK-FCGTX980
    Huawei Mate 8 is substantially faster than our beloved bro.

Unfortunately we have been dethroned. However I can get 92k on Antutu without an overclock and kernel switch. Stock Debloat does A LOT!

16. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    new huawii isn't much faster, they use same SOC but lower res on huwaii, still i prefer the Note will over it, i would love to see it performance, cause it might be even worse if they screw kernel or whatso ever.

Did u use the package pro for debloat? idk what system apps to debloat.

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I said "most"...which is completely accurate. I've owned plenty of Samsung products. I know how their product and customer support is.

18. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    No, Huawei Mate 8 uses Huawei's HiSilicon Kirin 950 SoC. They'll likely use it in Honor 8 as well and if they keep the price below 400 € and closer to 300 € at launch it should be really good deal.

It looks like Surface Phone might come out in 2016. That could be really interesting if it could run full windows.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  19. nexxusting

nexxusting Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 SC /w EK-FCGTX980
    So.... I'm curious, what choices did you make buying an Android device that made you dislike the best phone OS?

Just doesn't make sense for someone of your status to go to a phone that's made for people with less knowledge and don't care that they are locked down in literally every aspect of the OS.

Genuinely curious as to how you got to this decision as I'm sorry but, Iphones are jokes compared to high end Android phones. You couldn't pay me to use one.

At this point the only thing IPhones are great with is Warranty from what I can tell. Which is actually why ALOT of people buy them. If you're having issues with the Android... It's not the OS itself, its extremely versatile in every single way... I have no problems at all with it (there is always some trial and error though). There is nothing you can't do. Nothing.

If I am missing something major when it comes to Apple, please do let me know.

Yep. You got it. PM me your email and I'll send you an .XML with everything already disbaled.

I get ridiculous battery life and the smoothest performance with this.

AFAIK Huawei are using their own SOC for the Mate 8 the Kirin 950 I think?

Check out HiSilicon

Their SOC is better than ours in every way bro. USB 3.0 is the kicker. UFS 2.0 is great but not when transferring files over USB 2.0. Note 5 should have been Type C 3.1 100%.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  20. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Oh, the Kirin 950, sorry MX5 Pro uses 7420, even if it faster than 7420, Exynos 7420 easily wins the best SOC of the year.