Nvidia Used three Samsung patents in tablets

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 23, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Chipmaker Nvidia used in their Tablets three Samsung patents, and violated Samsung's patents claims. This is what a judge from the American International Trade Commission (USITC) in the USA ruled th...

Nvidia Used three Samsung patents in tablets

2. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    The longer we go down this road, the more I fear World War 3 will be fought by throwing patents at eachother.

3. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    That seems pretty safe, I guess I wouldn't mind that.

4. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Watch out for paper cuts though.

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Serious question - how does a company like Samsung figure out that Nvidia infringes on such obscure patents like this? Color me ignorant, but these infringed designs don't seem like something you can obviously spot. Samsung, to my knowledge, has nothing to do with the manufacturing or design process of nvidia products.

This isn't the first time something like this has come up, so I find it real suspicious that these companies are able to know about these infringements so easily, if at all.

6. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Of course reverse engineering them things. I would guess that happens a bit.

7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    That doesn't really make sense either though. Companies hardly like spending resources forward-engineering their own products, why would they reverse engineer a competitor's product? Doing so doesn't guarantee inspiration for a new improved design, nor does it guarantee spotting infringed patents. That's a lot of time and money spent on a high possibility of no yield.

8. LOVEandROCKETS

LOVEandROCKETS Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1660 Ti OC
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  9. holler

holler Master Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7900XTX Aqua
    Nvidia = The First Order

AMD = The Resistance

Samsung = FN-2187

It all makes sense now, that Samsung will be producing chips for AMD.

10. DeadlyBGShadow

DeadlyBGShadow Guest

GPU:
    RX VEGA64-O8G
    When Companies Like Intel, AMD, Nvidia, and Samsung are legally taking actions against one another, little time and resources can be spend in order to safe one company Millions or Billions in $.
    And after Nvidia Lost the Patent Lawsuit against Samsung and Qualcomm it's normal for them to get the same treatment ;)

11. Enticles

Enticles Guest

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3070ti
    it may not be as simple as i am thinking the process is, but the way i see it is they simply disassemble the product until they can see the bare PCB, and then look for chips / chipsets / circuitry designs that match what they have patented.

i mean if they see a chip with the word samsung on it, and they have that patented that would be a fairly easy infringement to identify.

again, could be more complicated than that - but thats probably what they're doing to find the infringements.

12. SoloCreep

SoloCreep Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI
    The son of the judge is a AMD fan boy. His bedroom walls are plastered with the AMD posters that come packaged with each GPU purchase. Being the rich spoiled kid "teen" that he is, he has had many AMD GPU's. Big daddy judge of course has bought all of them. There was no hope for NVidia this time. :knock:

/s

13. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I haven't been following it, but the story mentions this was Samsung's response to Nvidia's earlier lawsuit.

Wouldn't surprise me if Samsung went looking for something like this, tbh i think Nvidia picked a fight with the wrong company.

14. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    The question is maybe, since how many times, Samsung know Nvidia use thoses patents in other products... ( they are related to bus, sram etc ) ..

If Nvidia had not attack them ( and been ruled out ), surely Samsung will never goes after them too.

Samsung have a lot of patents in so many domain.. that are used in semi.conductors design, in GPUs, in processors, in SOC, for 3G-4G,LTE, for communication devices, for photos sensors, display etc . ( and a lot more, Samsung is working on 80 different industrial domains ).. Maybe Samsung couldnt goes after thoses when Nvidia was make gpus, but knows where to search then.

Many patents of Samsung ( a tons ) are under frand licences, or ESID ( Essentials for the Industry developpement ), and many company think they can use them without pay anything to Samsung.

Actually, you cant build a smartphone or a tablet without using the technology patented by Samsung during thoses last 15 years .,..you cant use Nand, storage on a devices, touchscreens, communications devices ( voices or data ( 2g-3g-LTE etc ) without fall on a technology who have been developped by Samsung . Everyone need use patents from Samsung, or they cant even think to build and sell a smartphone or a tablet.

Dont forget that Samsung was allready a semi-conductors leading company way before Nvidia exist.

Well back to the topic:

Aiee, for Nvidia, in this story, it really dont goes as they was hoped ...

15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    With patents, you HAVE to defend them or they get declared invalid. Since Samsung is one of the leading producers of RISC based processors, it's hard to design a product using a RISC based processor without licensing something from Samsung. Hell, it's hard to produce much of anything anymore without ending up paying a licensing fee to someone. Of course, when you're a new comer like NVidia.....you don't challenge the incumbents like NVidia did. Samsung has vastly more experience in electronics and a lot deeper pockets than NVidia.

Of course, I was among those hoping to see NVidia win.....

16. demented brave

demented brave Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4090
    yea sure, too bad AMD's colors are red and black

17. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    nope it is more like:

AMD = Zakel empire
    NVidia = The 1st Order
    Samsung = Mandalorian coalition
    Apple = the old Empire

Linux user = the resistance :)

18. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    This post makes the most sense. :)

Too many parents.

19. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    lot of money will be lost in procedure but there isn't much in the file against NVidia.

for those who are interested check big brother for those patent... if samsung win then lot of maker can prepare money to be sued too lol.

on my to do list: Put patent on the wheel concept and sue everyone that use some when i need money :)

20. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    If they see Samsung chip in nVidia's device, then nVidia or their fabs bought that chip through official channel.

I rly did not know if I should cry or laugh at that comment.